[Digital Foundry] Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart - PC Max vs PS5 vs PC Very Low

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
Sony was trying to say the SSD on the PS5. I remember the narative back in the day. We all thought that Sony's drive was special and even better than PCs. Now we see that any next-gen Sony game can be played on regular SSD with no problems.
Yes, if the game is optimized for it and uses directstorage. This is not rocket science. They never lied.

Reactions: FIREK2029

historia

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2023
Another outrage Youtube topic bite the dust

Oh no now where can I watch 10 minutes SSD lie videos

• Shake

historia

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2023
Yes, if the game is optimized for it and uses directstorage. This is not rocket science. They never lied.
The decompression chip is albeit, an important factor. SSD is not specially, it just an MLC SSD from Micron.

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
Sony was trying to say the SSD on the PS5. I remember the narative back in the day. We all thought that Sony's drive was special and even better than PCs. Now we see that any next-gen Sony game can be played on regular SSD with no problems.
you clearly clueless about architecture and hardware. fucking hell.

FIREK2029

24 Jun 2022
The load is faster on ps5, more than the highest ended PC.
I guess all the detractors are eating crow right now.
This. I noticed it loads a little bit faster on my PS5 than it does on my high-end PC.

DF even shows that some textures fail to load properly on PC. It also has some minor issues with RT reflection on the 4090 but I'm sure that's something totally unrelated to SSD speed, probably a bug.

Insomniac were absolutely right, all the detractors are looking like complete fools now.

Entropi

Veteran
Icon Extra
22 Jan 2023
The load is faster on ps5, more than the highest ended PC.
I guess all the detractors are eating crow right now.

The should be eating 5 servings of crow right now, but instead, they keep moving the goalpost to keep their fantasy world from crumbling.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Man I just read the article... I don't even understand what xbots are trying to archive?

Low setthings is shit and completally different from what you have on PS5.
The game runs bad on HDD (bad is being nice)... you have pauses between portal jumps breaking one of the keys features of the game.
Even with 3.5GB/s NVMe driver you have several performance issues due the I/O.

Maxed out there a lot of graphics issues (again due the I/O).
Even with faster than 5.5GB/s NVMe drivers you will be hit with performance issues.

I mean the whole narrative is just weird.

SLB1904

Actually born in 1904!
22 Jun 2022
Man I just read the article... I don't even understand what xbots are trying to archive?

Low setthings is shit and completally different from what you have on PS5.
The game runs bad on HDD (bad is being nice)... you have pauses between portal jumps breaking one of the keys features of the game.
Even with 3.5GB/s NVMe driver you have several performance issues due the I/O.

Maxed out there a lot of graphics issues (again due the I/O).
Even with faster than 5.5GB/s NVMe drivers you will be hit with performance issues.

I mean the whole narrative is just weird.
Straw grasping at this point

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022

First, Insomniac said at the time that the game was not using the full bandwidth, requiring around 3GB/s only.

Second, at the time of release, PS5s SSD was the fastest in the market, at least at consumer prices

Third, its not the SSD being special, it's about the whole IO complex.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
And DF just showed there is something special on PS5's SSD because every with a lot of changes made and faster SSDs (7GB/s) PC can't run the game like it is on PS5.

Not need to be a genius to understand that.

BlueLyria

Icon Extra
29 Apr 2023
The game runs stuttery as expected on a HDD, guess they skipped ps4 for two reasons, optimizing and they didn't want to demand you install an ssd on your old gen console.