[Digital Foundry] Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart - PC Max vs PS5 vs PC Very Low

historia

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2023
I believe the Direct Storage is just an API that tells the CPU to stream data directly from the SSD to the VRAM so that the GPU can decompress. I also found out that Oodle is software and can be used with any platform. That's what the guys over at GAF was saying anyway.
Read the post above carefully. Running Oddle compression gonna make the CPU doing heavier work, so less performance. PS5 have a compression chip.
It's the difference between a DRAMless SSD and an SSD with full DRAM controller.

Frozone

Banned
11 Aug 2022
Read the post above carefully. Running Oddle compression gonna make the CPU doing heavier work, so less performance. PS5 have a compression chip.
It's the difference between a DRAMless SSD and an SSD with full DRAM controller.
Oh I get that. But the oodle is just a compression software for textures. PS5 does have a hardware decompression chip which is bad-ass. 100% agree there. It's just not because of the Oodle is what I'm trying to get at.

Entropi

Veteran
Icon Extra
22 Jan 2023
Man, a lot of people that wanted to dunk on the PS5’s SSD and I/O but Cerny never talks BS and actually delivers real breakthroughs. Unlike, well, we know who.

Reactions: KickNamesTakeAss

Petekilla

Veteran
16 Jun 2023
Man, a lot of people that wanted to dunk on the PS5’s SSD and I/O but Cerny never talks BS and actually delivers real breakthroughs. Unlike, well, we know who.
Cerny is a technical genius. Sony needs to continue to allow him to architect PS consoles until he decides to retire.

Reactions: Box

Old Gamer

Veteran
5 Aug 2022
A lot of us took that to mean the SSD/IO system of the PS5.
A lot of us know better than to conflate the two concepts. There's more to the IO system of the PS5 than just the SSD.

That's probably why some people are confused by the PS5 version still loading faster than PCs with higher specced SSDs.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: SuperDuper

SuperDuper

Chief Troll Officer
Moderating
16 Jun 2022
PS5 has the IO advantage over a PC but saying PS5 runs games better than a 4090 is laughable.

Of course GPUs are not comparable: the 4090 is way superior. The point is how fast are you going to feed data to the CPU and the GPU: you can have the fastest process in the world, but id the I/O is the bottleneck, you'll have to get in line and wait.

What type compression does Direct Storage have? Zlib? That thing is just way slower because it doesn't rely on an dedicated compression chip like Oddle on PS5.

Direct Storage, right now, is not comparable to the PS5 solution, simply becuase it's all software based and does not offload the system: being that a PC or the XBox. As soon as we'll get I/O accelerators with Direct Storage on hardware, THEN we can start talking about comparision. Until then it's either the GPU or the CPU that will be doing the decompressing. Oh, and let's not forget that on PC you have no "direct to GPU memory" functionality: it all goes in the CPU that sends the data to the GPU (so a double use of the PCIe bandwidth)

Frozone

Banned
11 Aug 2022
Guys over at GAF are crying about the PS5 IO advantage.. :LOL:

Last edited:

Old Gamer

Veteran
5 Aug 2022
Guys over at GAF are crying about the PS5 SSD advantage.. :LOL:

FFS it never was the SSD by itself.

Stop trying to perpetuate disinformation.

Reactions: Umar and SuperDuper

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
The funny thing is Rich's low spec build is sticking pretty close to 60fps other than the heavy IO sections. If you had an SSD in your PS4 it might be a passable way to play the game.
If there was a ps4 version they could have made the portal transitions (between worlds) longer to hide the loading, or just show a loading screen.

The game's visuals could be downgraded close to the level of the previous one in the series.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Are you speaking of without Direct Storage? Because I thought that it moves from SSD to VRAM from CPU instructions and then the decompress happens there?
Direct storage is a software solution… it doesn’t change how the data travel in the hardware.

So yes… the two PC examples are from Direct Storage.

There is no hardware bus from SSD to VRAM… CPU needs to get the data on SSD, copy it on SystemRAM, and after copy it to VRAM.

CPU is the responsible to move the data.
And any data to reach VRAM needs to travel via SystemRAM.
Below 1 and 2 are CPU tasks.

images

PS5 doesn’t copy data between SystemRAM and VRAM because it is the same pool… and the CPU is not used to travel (copy) the data in the memory because it uses the DMAs inside the I/O complex.

Last edited:

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
I don't understand why some people thought this could run on a HDD. How could a whole level load that fast on HDD? This never made any sense.

historia

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2023
I don't understand why some people thought this could run on a HDD. How could a whole level load that fast on HDD? This never made any sense.
I mean if you got 64GB ram or above you could just page the whole game onto RAM, so it's not really an issue if you are rich. A flex