[Digital Foundry] Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart - PC Max vs PS5 vs PC Very Low

iAMJeffy

29 Oct 2022
Another fantastic video by NXGamer going deeper with the Steamdeck, HDD vs SSD, the PS5 and his own similarly specced PC and overclocked 2070 that reaches 2080ti performance and maybe close to the 3080 as per the video.

Conclusion is that right now the PS5 still runs on average 20% faster with raytracing on and capped to 60 fps despite the PS5 running higher average resolution in performance RT Mode and his PC using DLSS and RT and DirectStorage 1.2.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: ethomaz and Entropi

PlacidusaX

Veteran
24 Oct 2022
yes...both parties, Sony should've had the foresight to know this port would bring a ton of bad press, and the PCMR idiots will always be PCMR idiots
iu

Frozone

Banned
11 Aug 2022
Another fantastic video by NXGamer going deeper with the Steamdeck, HDD vs SSD, the PS5 and his own similarly specced PC and overclocked 2070 that reaches 2080ti performance and maybe close to the 3080 as per the video.

Conclusion is that right now the PS5 still runs on average 20% faster with raytracing on and capped to 60 fps despite the PS5 running higher average resolution in performance RT Mode and his PC using DLSS and RT and DirectStorage 1.2.

He never talks about the 2 added RT features that will tank the performance on the PS5 (if added) and that's why they aren't available.

Reactions: Systemshock2023

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
He never talks about the 2 added RT features that will tank the performance on the PS5 (if added) and that's why they aren't available.
Do the added RT features contribute meaningfully to better image quality? Not really. RT has been mostly marketing buzzwords, it makes for slightly better shadows and reflections and a little bit better lighting with RTGI. But is it worth halving framerate? Hell no. Wake me up when we got pathtracing in AAA games.

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
I don't even think DF talks about them that much because they are broken and offer much less benefits that working texture streaming and full resolution textures (when fully loaded).

Obviously, the game otherwise runs better on a top of the line PC, but this is still disappointing compared to what some would expect.

Entropi

Veteran
Icon Extra
22 Jan 2023
Another fantastic video by NXGamer going deeper with the Steamdeck, HDD vs SSD, the PS5, and his own similarly specced PC and overclocked 2070 that reaches 2080ti performance and maybe close to the 3080 as per the video.

Plus, loads are still noticeably faster. Cerny ain’t fucking around, PC I/O haven’t catch up to the PS5. Who would have thought!

Frozone

Banned
11 Aug 2022
Do the added RT features contribute meaningfully to better image quality? Not really. RT has been mostly marketing buzzwords, it makes for slightly better shadows and reflections and a little bit better lighting with RTGI. But is it worth halving framerate? Hell no. Wake me up when we got pathtracing in AAA games.
I would say it depends on how the game uses them. It's certainly better than the screenspace crap that we are all used to for so many years. And I don't think the differences are small. Hopefully we'll get a more powerful PS6 that will use these features.

Frozone

Banned
11 Aug 2022
I don't even think DF talks about them that much because they are broken and offer much less benefits that working texture streaming and full resolution textures (when fully loaded).
They are no longer broken from what Nixxes latest patch does. We can't just count them out haphazardly simply because they aren't on the next-gen consoles. Everyone loves the reflections that remove the screenspace limitations in them. Shadows, AO, and GI are all important too imo.

Reactions: Systemshock2023

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
They are no longer broken from what Nixxes latest patch does. We can't just count them out haphazardly simply because they aren't on the next-gen consoles. Everyone loves the reflections that remove the screenspace limitations in them. Shadows, AO, and GI are all important too imo.
I'm not saying they should be discounted.
There are plenty of graphics features that halve the frame rate, depending what you want as a frame rate and resolution (1440p + 60) these effects may be worth the tradeoff.

Obviously if you have a 1st gen RTX card there is no point where any RT effects beyond basic reflections are worth it, then again 1080p still exist.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz

Yeap even high-PC can’t keep with PS5’s SSD IO system.

If devs start to take fully advantage of it then the situation on PC will be even dry… sadly only Sony’s first party will make real use of it.

Frozone

Banned
11 Aug 2022
Yeap even high-PC can’t keep with PS5’s SSD IO system.
Yep SSD IO system is killer.

If devs start to take fully advantage of it then the situation on PC will be even dry… sadly only Sony’s first party will make real use of it.
BUT - this becomes a problem because the PS5 is not as good as I expected it to be with the GPU. I hate that it doesn't have enough power to implement all the RT features that we deserve this generation. So even if we get more games like R&C, the rendering resolution, FPS and RT features will all be subpar compared to what they could be if we had more power. Hopefully the PS6 will fix this. I don't think the Pro version will be enough unfortunately.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Yep SSD IO system is killer.

BUT - this becomes a problem because the PS5 is not as good as I expected it to be with the GPU. I hate that it doesn't have enough power to implement all the RT features that we deserve this generation. So even if we get more games like R&C, the rendering resolution, FPS and RT features will all be subpar compared to what they could be if we had more power. Hopefully the PS6 will fix this. I don't think the Pro version will be enough unfortunately.
There is no GPU in the market that implement the RT features we deserved… all of them are half-backed because the reality is that you need at least 100TFs processing power to start to thing in make RT fully works.

We are in transition phase where RT is shit and GPU makers needs to make tricks due the lack of power of to run Ray-tracing.

PC GPU are decades behind to really delivery in RT.

PS6 won’t fix that because there is no hardware for that.

Frozone

Banned
11 Aug 2022
There is no GPU in the market that implement the RT features we deserved… all of them are half-backed because the reality is that you need at least 100TFs processing power to start to thing in make RT fully works.

We are in transition phase where RT is shit and GPU makers needs to make tricks due the lack of power of to run Ray-tracing.

PC GPU are decades behind to really delivery in RT.

PS6 won’t fix that because there is no hardware for that.
I get what you are saying but a little is better than none.