[Digital Foundry] Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart - PC Max vs PS5 vs PC Very Low

PlacidusaX

Veteran
24 Oct 2022
Guys over at GAF are crying about the PS5 IO advantage.. :LOL:

It's the I/O doing the heavy lifting.

iAMJeffy

29 Oct 2022
The PS5 SSD and I/O haters only look and target the one aspect without actually understanding what exactly is going on in the system and game. NXGamer breaks it down pretty well , the game was made and optimized specifically for PS5 hardware, which is why he is not surprised to see even high end PCs struggling to get to what the PS5 has achieved. He mentions needed high CPU and GPU overhead on the high end PCs to target the PS5 results. Even still, they cannot reach it because of system bottlenecks and architecture. I recommend a watch on this:

Reactions: FIREK2029

Old Gamer

Veteran
5 Aug 2022
I don't understand why some people thought this could run on a HDD. How could a whole level load that fast on HDD? This never made any sense.
Strictly speaking, it can even run on a slow HDD.
But everything will load so slowly, it is nowhere near the same experience. A far cry from running "without a problem".

• brain
Reactions: PlacidusaX

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
The PS5 SSD and I/O haters only look and target the one aspect without actually understanding what exactly is going on in the system and game. NXGamer breaks it down pretty well , the game was made and optimized specifically for PS5 hardware, which is why he is not surprised to see even high end PCs struggling to get to what the PS5 has achieved. He mentions needed high CPU and GPU overhead on the high end PCs to target the PS5 results. Even still, they cannot reach it because of system bottlenecks and architecture. I recommend a watch on this:

Really PC has a couple problems with living up to the PS5 version

-windows (this is huge)
-latency between pcie discrete gpu and cpu and memory; ps5 has shared coherent cache between cpu and gpu so even though the memory latency is lower on PC, the gpu and cpu on ps5 don't necessarily have to hit memory as often.

Reactions: iAMJeffy

Evilms

Graph Master
21 Jun 2022

summary ?

Frozone

Banned
11 Aug 2022
Saw this on another game site. Evidently Nixxes fixed two of the main issues that DF ran into.

atrJUJ7.png

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz

I imagine how PC gamers that replied showing it "playable" play games.
Because with several freezes, popin, and downgraded IQ is not playable for me at all.

That remember me in the past when I tried to run Crysis in a low-end PC and got like single digita FPS... is that "playable"?

Reactions: FIREK2029

Frozone

Banned
11 Aug 2022
Very interesting articles about R&C on the PC/PS5. It's definitely the most talked about game this generation with regards to tech outside of CP2077 Overdrive Mode.

Reactions: ethomaz

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
As usual just wait 3 months to save the pain of going through the 1.0 version of the game. The port seems much better than naughty dog engine based clusterfucks on PC and should be the definitive version of the game as usual.

Saw it running across a wide array of configs from 750ti, steam deck and up and it still looks pretty good at low settings unlike TLOU.

Some studios really have no excuse seeing how this game looks and runs on PC and ps5. Like that star wars game dropping at 720p on the ps5... and they have the nerve to demand a pro model.

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022
This show something that people denyed before the gen started.

Streaming affects graphical quality.
Better streaming capabilities allows devs to create better graphics.
Absolutely, if nothing else it’s logic. And frankly there is much to go in this area, I don’t consider ratchet to be flexing that much at all. Best assets always at all times within the viewport or close proximity is the holy grail.

Last edited:

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
I imagine how PC gamers that replied showing it "playable" play games.
Because with several freezes, popin, and downgraded IQ is not playable for me at all.

That remember me in the past when I tried to run Crysis in a low-end PC and got like single digita FPS... is that "playable"?
They’re damaging controlling the HDD slow load times saying it’s playable.
Yes, the same people that says that smooth stable 30fps looks like slideshows and is unplayable.
PC guys are pathetic.