[Digital Foundry] Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart - PC Max vs PS5 vs PC Very Low

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
I mean if you got 64GB ram or above you could just page the whole game onto RAM, so it's not really an issue if you are rich. A flex
After the initial load the travel of data will be way aster even compared to SSD but it doesn’t fix the others issues.

Data still needs to be copied from SystemRAM to VRAM by the CPU and the decompression needs to be done either by CPU or GPU.

To work like PS5 it needs three hardware parts on PC… unified memory pool, DMAs to copy data into memory without use the CPU and a decompressor chip that decompress without CPU/GPU.

Reactions: SuperDuper

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
Right. But DirectStorage takes care of that evidently.
Direct storage is very fast because it's direct!
I'm not talking about the Cerny talk. I'm talking about the Insomniac presentation.

ZdCV36k.jpg

A lot of us took that to mean the SSD/IO system of the PS5.
I think that most semi knowledgeable commenters knew that the I/O block had to do with it as well as the SSD.

The PS4 also had hardware support for compression/decompression on its I/O block, only an older/slower version of it (LZH I believe). Either way, it's much faster now and it enables use cases that didn't exist before.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Right. But DirectStorage takes care of that evidently.
That is not what DirectStorage does...

DirectStorage can't direct decompress from SSD to VRAM like PS5.
It needs to the CPU to copy data from SSD to SystemRAM, CPU to copy data from SystemRAM to VRAM and finally GPU to decompress.

Frozone

Banned
11 Aug 2022
That is not what DirectStorage does...

DirectStorage can't direct decompress from SSD to VRAM like PS5.
It needs to the CPU to copy data from SSD to SystemRAM, CPU to copy data from SystemRAM to VRAM and finally GPU to decompress.
Gotcha. So it's essentially making the GPU do the decompressing instead of the CPU.

Reactions: ethomaz

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Gotcha. So it's essentially making the GPU do the decompressing instead of the CPU.
In actual state yes.

There is plans from AMD and nVidia to have a direct bus from I/O to GPU/VRAM but that involved motherboard changes too.
So I don't know how advanced are these plans.

Just remember that PC physical today the PCI-E bus is linked to CPU lanes... so any data that come from SSD have to pass via CPU to reach SystemRAM... and had to pass via CPU + SystemRAM to reach VRAM.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
Looks amazing on the deck. Next gen games already on a portable. Steam deck 2 about to show Nintendo what they could achieve around 2050.
I don't think we get the Steam Deck 2 (i.e. with upgraded performance) before 2025. We might get a Steam Deck refresh with a better quality display, improved thermals, and longer battery next year, but that would be aggressive given Valve Time.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
How is this doing on Steam? Any sales or players online data?

Peak concurrent of approx 8700 and 494 downloads on utorrent, 1200 downloads on RARGB.

I’d love to see the most popular pirate data to be honest 🤣

I’m assuming 25k sold on steam by end of the year and 150k illegal downloads

Last edited:

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
The best thing about R&C releasing is that you can cross it out of the list. Bring the ones the PC audience really wants like Ghosts, Demons Souls. I won't even mention Bloodborne as that one seems only likely via a remake.