Digital Foundry's Callisto Protocol's Analysis PS5 vs XBX/S

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
Oh boy, they wanted RT reflections didn't they, now they have it, but I always wondered at what cost? since without those reflections it was already dropping heavily on Series X. People said it was an oversight on the devs part, but I very much doubt a dev would leave an entire feature out. I guess we shall see.

Series X had a slight resolution advantage over PS5 in the quality mode, I guess that quickly goes out the door when they have now introduced RT reflections to Series X. What I really want to see is framerate and tearing stats though. If X performs worse and drops lower than PS5 John Linneman and DF will have a hard time keeping their pants sanitary....
You clearly didn't take notice. Now, xbox sx using 12tf, when RT is enabled, it's power goes to 25tf. PS5 will be smoked.

How xbot would say, xbox acting weak for FTC, that's why they are losing H2H comparisons.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
I'm not sure how a company can't reach parity using a universal graphics engine like Unreal. It boggles my mind actually. There shouldn't be any "custom" coding going on here for the platforms as the engine is multiplatform to begin with. Devs need to polish it up before I pour money into it.

SIDENOTE: Props to the consoles at least getting more than 1 RT feature in a game (i.e. Metro: Exodus).
Many times devs have to release the game without having been able to implement, optimize and fix everything they planned. Reason being to be budget/time/resource constrained and having to match revenue estimations of investors or publishers for certain quarters, plus being on time to don't lose marketing related window slots agreed with publishers, platform holders, marketing/PR companies and key retailers.

Some of these things are often shared between all platforms, but sometimes are platform specifc ones. If they don't have time to do all the platform specific optimizations and fixes they'd want to have before launch, they prioritize the platform(s) where they estimate that will sell the most.

After launch, depending on available budget and resources they implement remaining or additional optimizations and bugfixes.

For this particular case, I assume they needed a few months more and prioritized PS for the pre-release time they had available. After launch, unless the related team quickly moved to work on a dlc or a new game, I expect that they'll further optimize and fix stuff, mostly in the other platforms. So I think Series X, PS5 and PC will end being pretty similar as happens in other similar titles.

Reactions: Deleted member 13

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
You clearly didn't take notice. Now, xbox sx using 12tf, when RT is enabled, it's power goes to 25tf. PS5 will be smoked.

How xbot would say, xbox acting weak for FTC, that's why they are losing H2H comparisons.
Yup, Xbox throwing these ones to help get the Activision deal passed.

"Please, let us buy the biggest game publisher, our system can't keep up with that mean old Playstation!"

• haha
Reactions: thelastword

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz

I would like some confirmation on this. Ray tracing was enabled though. That obviously was a configuration mistake.

So now PS5 has the resolution advantage?
Needs confirmation but if that the case then the dev choose to ship Series X version without RT due performance issues.

Old Gamer

Veteran
Founder
5 Aug 2022
So now PS5 has the resolution advantage?
Needs confirmation but if that the case then the dev choose to ship Series X version without RT due performance issues.
Nothing is confirmed, I doubt this would be the case to be honest.

OP
OP
thelastword

thelastword

Veteran
4 Jul 2022

Yeah 25 TF of RDNA2 raytracing goodness against a measly 8TF RDNA 1 console overclocked to 10TF. What was the PS5 a 2060 vs the Series X, a 2080? Hell, PS doesn't even have hardware RT so remove that too and you are looking at +15Tf Delta in favor of XBOX for RT over PS. How is the PS able to keep up and perform better in titles like Little Nightmares 2, Watch Dogs Legion, Metro Exodus and a few others baffles my brain, remember PS5 had RT in it;s games before one even debuted on Series X, if we are talking first party, it gets even sillier..
they released new video about Callisto Protocol. you can check it yourself.
So a new patch was released and DF did not test the new patch PS5 vs Series X? These guys have not done a video on PS4 and XBONE in a while, so what is the catch? Nobody wants to know PS4 vs XBONE we know how that plays out, we want to know what this new patch brings, what it fixes, what it breaks etc......Someone should give Vgtech some codes for this game tbh....

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: KiryuRealty

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022
Lol this was the worst game I've played this year. Worse than Forbidden west by a long shot.
Terrible boring, repetitive combat. Sponge too.
Dodge almost don't work at times and it's not reliable
Poor story and characters
Slow clunky movement. Not even quick turn
Frustrating checkpointing that waste your time. Long death animations also waste your time and there are like 5 animations.
Graphics are amazing but tbh performance mode looks cleaner and less grainy... give performance mode a shot. I finished in quality mode.
Shimmy and crawling through vents is a good 30% of the game
Baby spoopy scares like the worst horror movies. The game is just noise.

I wanted to like it but nope. I don't think I will even keep the disc. The game copied stomping, gravity glove, inventory, ui... everything from dead space. and did all of that much worse

• sad
Reactions: Deleted member 13

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Damn. Where's that 25% advantage? Or whatever bullshit number is thrown on the day?

I said that before but it seems to be more clear now.

They choose to not use RT reflections in Series X because they had issues with performance.
They turned on RT reflections on Series X and now they have to either downgrade the quality or run at lower performance.

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022
Damn. Where's that 25% advantage? Or whatever bullshit number is thrown on the day?

I don't get it. Why not have normal faked reflections like 20 years ago in the mirrors?
or at least the fake portview mirrors.

if RT is so bad, it's looking worse than old tech.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
I don't get it. Why not have normal faked reflections like 20 years ago in the mirrors?
or at least the fake portview mirrors.

if RT is so bad, it's looking worse than old tech.
They did that but people complained.
I mean the game on Series X was running normal faked reflections before the last patch.

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022
I mean the game on Series X was running normal faked reflections before the last patch.
Not ssr reflections.
The old viewport or mirror room type. The type we had in max payne 2 lol and silent hill 2.
Ssr is good for everything but I prefer cubemaps because they do not go out of view

• thinking_hard
Reactions: ethomaz
D

Deleted member 13

What's ironic is that it's UE - a global rendering engine for all platforms. I doubt we'll see this kind of unoptimization across the different platforms using UE in the future by other companies using it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: ethomaz