Digital Foundry's Callisto Protocol's Analysis PS5 vs XBX/S

D

Deleted member 13

They are way different platforms.
If not you should not see big discrepancies in performance... not just in this game but all others games.
But there aren't big discrepancies in performance in other multiplatform games. I mentioned iDTech, REengine, etc.. as examples.

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
But there aren't big discrepancies in performance in other multiplatform games. I mentioned iDTech, REengine, etc.. as examples.
There aren't YET, mostly due to cross-generation development. Don't be shocked if we see more of this going forward, especially with devs targeting PS5 as the primary build when the need to support weaker hardware is no longer present.

Their may be AMD chips in both Series and PS5, but what is around and between those chips is NOT the same, and that is where the performance deltas will be coming from.

Reactions: PlacidusaX
D

Deleted member 13

There aren't YET, mostly due to cross-generation development. Don't be shocked if we see more of this going forward, especially with devs targeting PS5 as the primary build when the need to support weaker hardware is no longer present.

Their may be AMD chips in both Series and PS5, but what is around and between those chips is NOT the same, and that is where the performance deltas will be coming from.
We shall see. I don't think that the PS5 has some secret hardware pipeline that's ultimately going to make it outperform the XSX in every multiplatform game coming out in the future. That's sort of a fanboy's thinking tbh.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
All have discrepancies…some big… some smaller. You will have to list game by game to me look specifically for it.

In fact if you believe both platforms are similar why Series X is not pulling 20% more performance in all these multiplatforms engines?

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
[
We shall see. I don't think that the PS5 has some secret hardware pipeline that's ultimately going to make it outperform the XSX in every multiplatform game coming out in the future. That's sort of a fanboy's thinking tbh.

The Matrix Demo had better RT on the PS5 (just slightly) even after Devs from Microsoft Studios (Coalition) helped to optimise it for series consoles.

Perhaps something is not quite right on the HW front where in 2 recent "next gen" showings RT is lacking.

Edit: should have mentioned that these are on the "same" engine.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
I personally believe it's just because devs, especially smaller joints, are going to spend most of their dev time making sure shit doesn't break on the series s. Splitting dev time between the s and x guarantees that unless you have enough manpower to have dedicated teams to optimize for each you're gonna get cut corners. The fact that the series x rt reflections are so low quality compared to the ps5 ones basically feels to me like they had non-rt reflections tuned for the series s/x because the s is too shit to do any rt in this game, but when they saw the backlash they slapped some basic rt implementation in there and called it a day

Reactions: arvfab

KiryuRealty

28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
It isn't secret hardware in the pipeline, it is the pipeline itself that is different. Unified RAM, cache scrubbers, priority I/O beyond what is being used elsewhere.

To say "The APU is the same, therefore the system arch is the same" is either disingenuous, or completely lacking in comprehension. Even if the APU in the Series X is faster, if the BUS isn't providing the data as quickly, it is bottlenecked.

Imagine two 10-storey buildings. One has an elevator that goes from the top to the bottom, the other has two separate elevators, each covering half the height. Even if the 2-elevator building has bigger elevator cars, it will take longer to get as many people from the ground floor to the top floor, due to having to change elevators.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
I personally believe it's just because devs, especially smaller joints, are going to spend most of their dev time making sure shit doesn't break on the series s. Splitting dev time between the s and x guarantees that unless you have enough manpower to have dedicated teams to optimize for each you're gonna get cut corners. The fact that the series x rt reflections are so low quality compared to the ps5 ones basically feels to me like they had non-rt reflections tuned for the series s/x because the s is too shit to do any rt in this game, but when they saw the backlash they slapped some basic rt implementation in there and called it a day
Optimization matter, API matter, SDK/tools matter and platform/hardware matter.

There is no magical engine… UE doesn’t magically removes the optimization work to each platform/hardware from devs.

Devs only have a limited budget and time to fix/optimize specific platforms… and in this case it is problema not at high priority to them to make the RT reflections works fine on Series.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: KiryuRealty

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
[

The Matrix Demo had better RT on the PS5 (just slightly) even after Devs from Microsoft Studios (Coalition) helped to optimise it for series consoles.

Perhaps something is not quite right on the HW front where in 2 recent "next gen" showings RT is lacking.

Edit: should have mentioned that these are on the "same" engine.
can it be that RT is effected by xbox split RAM and just 10gb high speed?

Last edited:
  • they're_right_you_know
Reactions: KiryuRealty
D

Deleted member 13

It isn't secret hardware in the pipeline, it is the pipeline itself that is different. Unified RAM, cache scrubbers, priority I/O beyond what is being used elsewhere.

To say "The APU is the same, therefore the system arch is the same" is either disingenuous, or completely lacking in comprehension. Even if the APU in the Series X is faster, if the BUS isn't providing the data as quickly, it is bottlenecked.

Imagine two 10-storey buildings. One has an elevator that goes from the top to the bottom, the other has two separate elevators, each covering half the height. Even if the 2-elevator building has bigger elevator cars, it will take longer to get as many people from the ground floor to the top floor, due to having to change elevators.
Not saying that. I'm saying that they should be very close in performance. There are games where the XSX performs better and other games where the PS5 performs better. I'm only going off of what's actually been released. How can we argue against known numbers?

arvfab

Oldest Guard
23 Jun 2022

Seems like that graphics slider is very well hidden....

KiryuRealty

28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Not saying that. I'm saying that they should be very close in performance. There are games where the XSX performs better and other games where the PS5 performs better. I'm only going off of what's actually been released. How can we argue against known numbers?
What we are seeing is games with functions that can be brute-forced by a conventional system architecture run slightly better on Series X in some cases, but we are starting to see games doing more advanced things where PS5 is outstripping the Series X performance.

Since the Series X is the brute force approach, the clear edge is coming from the greater finesse that the tailoring of the PS5 architecture seems better suited to. Whether this gap can be closed or will get wider is an interesting situation to watch how it plays out. That being said, bespoke solutions almost always outperform off-the-shelf solutions, so PS5 may just be able to run off with things this gen. Especially when we get into API efficiency and OS overheads, as I have pointed out before.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Satoru

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Optimization matter, API matter, SDK/tools matter and platform/hardware matter.

There is no magical engine… UE doesn’t magically removes the optimization work to each platform/hardware from devs.

Devs only have a limited budget and time to fix/optimize specific platforms… and in this case it is problema not at high priority to them to make the RT reflections works fine on Series.

The whole Xbox pipeline is slower. The extra MHz the PS5 has on their GPU make a world of difference as well.

KiryuRealty

28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
The whole Xbox pipeline is slower. The extra MHz the PS5 has on their GPU make a world of difference as well.
Not to mention, the Xbox build of Windows that the Series runs is far less efficient than the PlayStation 5's BSD-based system. It's like drag racing a Ferrari with an M8, but the Ferrari is pulling a trailer behind it.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Satoru

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Not to mention, the Xbox build of Windows that the Series runs is far less efficient than the PlayStation 5's BSD-based system. It's like drag racing a Ferrari with an M8, but the Ferrari is pulling a trailer behind it.
Windows and Games used in Series is behind Hypervisor that eat in the best scenario 1-2% of the CPU power… these are applications that in the worst case reaches 10% less performance due running uma Hypervisor.

Virtual Machines/Hypervisor has a overhead in CPU.

PS5 OS/Games instead have direct access to hardware without any Hypervisor or VirtualMachine handling it.

arvfab

Oldest Guard
23 Jun 2022

Of course they are close in performance. Non-stupid people have been saying it since the console specs were revealed.

It's the paid shills/astroturfers and the gullible followers they have, all of them sharing a single neuron, which claimed and continue saying stupid things like "XSX is going to stomp PS5" "25% more power" "PlayStation will stuggle with 4k/RT etc., while XSX will do 4k/120fps easily".

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
Serious question here

Is not the Ps5 just obtaining parity with the Xbox series x already outperforming it though considering its 12tflops vs 10.3?

mansoor1980

4 Jul 2022
to the non-believers

6ccgcy1irgn41.jpg

believe in cerny sauce

Last edited:

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Serious question here

Is not the Ps5 just obtaining parity with the Xbox series x already outperforming it though considering its 12tflops vs 10.3?

I don't think so. Terrorflops are one measure, a theoretical one. You have to view the system as a whole. I don't think they are outperforming anything, they are performing as expected, trading blows. The more curious thing is why 2 of the latest unreal showcases (Matrix and Calisto) have the better performance on the PS side, especially RT. We can say that Sony Visual helped with Calisto, even though their job is not to optimize code, but for Matrix they even brought in the Coalition to help them with the demo and still came behind.

• brain
Reactions: Sircaw