dispelling the myth that PC is a 'premium' place to play games - Steam's top 10 highest rated games paint a bleak picture for the platform

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gh0stnTheBashShell

30 Jun 2022
It just have very few or even doesn’t have AAA development for most publishers anymore.

Now if you take all these indies games that only release on PC as exclusives fine but that is not what people want to say when they use the word exclusive for games.
Digital Foundry has shown often that it doesn't take much to outdo console quality settings, many "max" settings for years have been barely noticeable or haven't made a difference. Dying Light 2s is a great example, you could literally keep some on low or medium and the quality difference isn't noticeable but RTGI made the biggest difference

Gh0stnTheBashShell

30 Jun 2022
same games, dude. Nobody cares about a few vegetation settings, more than 60fps is useless and hdr implementation is trash on pc. You’re essentially paying more for the same.
You do you.
More than 60 is useless but everyone's gushing over 120hz and buying TVs for the feature on their console what are you even talking about?

Also HDR implementation is trash in general, it's a feature used to sell TVs. Unless it's Dolby Vision not a single HDR/HDR 10+ implementation is consistent in it's integration.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Remij

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
More than 60 is useless but everyone's gushing over 120hz and buying TVs for the feature on their console what are you even talking about?
Who is gushing? I can’t see anyone really gushing. 120Hz tvs are niche and will continue to be for the foreseeable future. You played ER and I did too.
We had the same experience. The difference is I paid a lot less for it. If you’re fine paying more for the same, well, you do you.

Reactions: EDMIX

Gh0stnTheBashShell

30 Jun 2022
Who is gushing? I can’t see anyone really gushing. 120Hz tvs are niche and will continue to be for the foreseeable future. You played ER and I did too.
We had the same experience. The difference is I paid a lot less for it. If you’re fine paying more for the same, well, you do you.
I paid 40 bucks for it?

Remij

Banned
10 Jul 2022
Everyone who tries it.

Not only is it smoother, it also becomes much more responsive.

Playing fighting games on Playstation consoles is like slogging through mud compared to the PC versions.

• fire
Reactions: Gh0stnTheBashShell

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
I paid 40 bucks for it?
hall of fame game missed the point GIF

Not that I’m surprised.

Reactions: EDMIX

Gh0stnTheBashShell

30 Jun 2022
No, you bought your entire PC for it, specifically.

You bought your monitor and gaming chair for it too.

Don'cha know? 😄
Oh shit, it also doesn't help this PC makes money cause I do some work from home as well. And I'd rather pay 1300 for this than a MacBook

And my standing desk

And my pressure matt

Shiiieeeetttttttt what else did I overspend on 😳

• haha
Reactions: Deleted member 13

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
20-25 years ago Yes. PCs were the premium place for games.

Games were being released on PC only which simply couldn't run on consoles of the same generation. Others were never ported.

OG Xbox in my opinion turned the tides and consoles haven't looked back.

Oogabooga

16 Jul 2022
I paid 1300 for my 5600X/3070ti (fuck yes next buy MSRP drops) and got a PC that outdoes any next gen console. I have to say playing Cyberpunk with ray tracing properly actually made a noticeable difference.

The reality is this, PC is bleeding edge and you pay for that bleeding edge and advances over everyone else. Should no one buy an F150 or Tesla when they can get a Honda Civic? Why buy nice stainless steel pots and pans when 10 dollar non-stick coated can do the same thing? Should I not buy a nice pair of Levi's when I can get some off brand pair of jeans at Walmart? I mean it'll cover your legs the same right?

If you don't want to pay the price of entry for superior experiences that's perfectly fine, but just because the Ford Escape can get through the snow and mountains just fine doesn't mean that the Bronco is irrelevant.

If you want to have a "good enough" experience, the console is there for you. If you want to have a better experience the PC is there.

PC can use those controllers with innovative features, I know because I use the dualsense on PC

3D audio isn't a new prospect, Sony just came up with a different name for it and didn't even do it properly. The Steelseries 7P processes the audio so much better that honestly Sony should be ashamed to sell that headset when the 7P is on the market

Cheat free is a joke when there's undetectable devices you can buy to load scripts on consoles

Plug and play is a dead idea, not with installations (FUCK the physical install process for TLOU 2), updates, ETC. There's a lot of inconvenience where there wasn't on console gaming at one point.
Not sure if trolling or serious. If you want to out-perform the current gen of consoles you need to pay more than 1300$. At least we are talking 2000$. With 1300$ PC there will not be a big difference that worth that price. can you make a video? I really want to see this difference that worth paying twice the price.

Why do people buy a Tesla, Nikes, Ferrari, etc... idk everyone has their reasons.
there're really no rules, every case is different.
We are talking about middle class people here, of course if you are filthy rich then go ahead buy whatever you want.

In case of the PS5 vs PC in my honest unbiased opinion, it's not worth it even if i had the money. The PS5 can easily run 60fps/4k, plus you can't play PlayStation awesome exclusives on a PC. Do people not realise companies make games for console? even if you bought a 2000$ PC the difference isn't worth that insane price. Consoles will always limit the full potential of your 2000$ PC and don't forget that the PC is full of shitty ports. it's a complete waste of money. It feels like I'm throwing my money in the trash, litterally. In the future I can see people leaving PC in masses. consoles are crushing the competition, which would eventually lead to the death of PC gaming market.

Last edited:

David Jaffe

VIP
27 Jun 2022
The idea the just because a bunch of console only Players have not heard of games on Steam's top 10 means 100% nothing.
Your title mentions 'premium' games and if your point is visuals and next gen aspects, I will somewhat agree. Your images will still look noticeably better for most games on the best PC compared to console but I can't think to too many amazing looking AAA games these days that go to PC and skip console.
If by 'premium' you mean premium gameplay experience, I 100% disagree. PC lets you play all but the Nintendo AAA games, emulate old games, play massive numbers of AA and indie (and punk rock indie as well, ala itch.io) games.
If you are into the medium of video games- as a fan, designer, creator, or all of those things- you can't really be part of the full conversation if you are not gaming on a PC (and a Switch and cell phone games).

But if you are just talking visuals? Sure, that tracks :).

JAFFE

Gh0stnTheBashShell

30 Jun 2022
Not sure if trolling or serious. If you want to out-perform the current gen on consoles you need to pay more, than 1300$. At least we are talking 2000$. with a 1300$ you will not notice a huge difference that worth that price. can you make a video? I really want to see this difference that worth paying twice the price.

Why do people buy a Tesla, Nikes, Ferrari, etc... idk everyone has their reasons.
there're really no rules, every case is different.
We are talking about middle class people here, of course if you are filthy rich then go ahead buy whatever you want.

In case of the PS5 vs PC in my honest unbiased opinion, it's not worth it even if i had the money. The PS5 can easily run 60fps/4k, plus you can't play PlayStation awesomd exclusives on a PC. Do people not realise companies make games for console? even if you bought a 2000$ PC the difference isn't worth that insane price. Consoles will always limit the full potential of your 2000$ PC and don't forget that the PC is full of shitty ports. I used to play on PC during the PS4 era for none exclusives, but now I don't see the need in upgrading, it's a complete waste of money. It feels like I'm throwing my money in the trash, litterally. In the future I can see people leaving PC in masses. consoles are crushing the competition, which would eventually lead to the death of the PC gaming market.

Why would I bother making a video when you can't even bother getting the pricing right? Digital Foundry can do that for you but people just bitch and whine about them now so what's the point.

5600X 210
32 Ram 120
Gigabyte Aorus 110
Thermalright Peerless Assassin 35
NZXT H510 Flow 85
Cooler Master 650W Gold 65
1TB SSD 95
3070 499, 20 Tflops

The reality is you still didn't even acknowledge my point about paying more for a better experience or quality. And juding by the complaining show me the difference in a game that's worth paying 70msrp or even 85 euros for on console that doesn't come firm sheer greed.

Also, you might wanna rethink that statement of not playing PlayStations awesome exclusives lol.

I can't wait to double dip Returnal on PC

• thinking_hard
Reactions: Bodycount611
OP
OP
Bodycount611

Bodycount611

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
When you have stuff like PowerWash simulator charting you may actually even be harming the medium.

There comes time when platform holders need to start to curate these storefronts a little more effectively and weed out these joke/meme games (that uncoincidentally thrive on PC).

Honestly, even more so than the iOS store, Steam and Valve have harmed this industry the most over the years. The business model relies on exploiting the insurmountable masses of $2 garbage that plague the platform. Valve themselves ofcourse stepped away from premium game development over a decade ago it seems like, so they're completely aware and content in harming the industry as long as they profit while doing very little work.

And these are the custodians of PC gaming? PC gamers are dying for a unified platform and have rallied behind Valve to disastrous results.

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Remij

Banned
10 Jul 2022
you're playing years-old games. You're a second class citizen, a beggar, and most likely a thief (you certainly give off the vibe that you pirate games on PC).

You are a leech.

Good day sir.
We're playing Playstation's best games in their best franchises.

Returnal is coming, Ghost of Tsushima is coming, GT7 is coming, we can safely assume that TLOU2 will be coming...

Those years old games... are still their best games...

I'm not the leech... Sony is the parasite looking for more hosts to suck the blood from. 🤷‍♂️

OP
OP
Bodycount611

Bodycount611

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
We're playing Playstation's best games in their best franchises.

Returnal is coming, Ghost of Tsushima is coming, GT7 is coming, we can safely assume that TLOU2 will be coming...

Those years old games... are still their best games...

I'm not the leech... Sony is the parasite looking for more hosts to suck the blood from. 🤷‍♂️
you can fantasize about whatever you'd like as you're clearly jealous of PS5 and the premium experiences it offfers, but until the games are confirmed, have solid release dates, or or are physically in your hands you have no leg to stand on.

You're a beggar, plain and simple. A low-downed. useless, entitled

Beggar.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Umar
Status
Not open for further replies.