'Do I hate PlayStation?' - David Jaffe YT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
The game design work in modern cinematic, linear narrative focused games like HFW, GoWR, TLOU2, Days Gone, Spider-Man, etc. isn't simpler. They have way more work and more complex work than the combat/gameplay focused games, as would be the case of old school hack n slash games from PS2 or stuff like that.

They have way more mechanics and content to test and fine tune, a longer progression/difficulty/discoveravility curve needed to keep the player engaged and their UI/UX experience needs to be more intuitive to appeal a wider and less skilled demographics.

On top of that the world building, character design and development, story and writing also requires more and better work. Plus since the games are longer it's also needed more collectibles, unlockables or upgradeables, secondary missions/content to make the game feel less repetitive and empty.

His point isn't that the cinematic focused narrative games are worse or simple. He simply prefers when games focus more on telling their stuff via gameplay or environment storytelling than via frequent and long cinematics or texts because he considers than since gameplay it's what it differentiates gaming from other mediums, to push the gaming medium forward it should focus more on gameplay and on using it more to tell what the game wasnts to tell.

Regarding Metroid I think his criticism maybe was a bit harsh but also think was fair regarding that breakable parts of the environment weren't highlighted enough so you had to be constantly shooting everything to spot the breakable portions of the environment, which in a Metroidvania with a big map is a pain in the ass. I agree with him that this specific part should be improved, since many other games make a way better job at highlighting breakable parts of the environment without making them too obvious.

So per your own logic, he prefers gameplay to tell the tale, but then complains when gameplay is not enough to tell the tale (from a gameplay standpoint).

And the breakable walls thing was a sham. A 5 year old can understand it. It's simple, effective, good gameplay. They looked bloody different from other parts. Only a moron couldnt tell it.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: KiryuRealty

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
So per your own logic, he prefers gameplay to tell the tale, but then complains when gameplay is not enough to tell the tale (from a gameplay standpoint).

And the breakable walls thing was a sham. A 5 year old can understand it. It's simple, effective, good gameplay. They looked bloody different from other parts. Only a moron couldnt tell it.
I meant that he doesn't like long cinematics or have a lot of text, and prefers to tell the story/message during gameplay and if possible via gameplay.

He thinks that since when comparing with other medium the unique thing of videogames is the gameplay, to evolve gaming as a medium devs should focus more on gameplay instead of focusing too much on imitating other mediums like cinema etc.

He understands that many people love great cinematic cutscenes and good acting, but he sees that AAA gaming is slowly partially merging with cinema and he'd prefer instead to differentiate gaming more as a medium compared to the other mediums.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
What I don't get is why so many decided to pander to one particular side this gen.
But is really that many?

I get they are vocal but they are the very minority.

To be fair my controversial opinion is that Xbox brand is shrinking due the Gamepass… it is hard to predict the future but right now Xbox One was more successful than Series taking the same timeframe.

Reactions: Bryank75

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
But is really that many?

I get they are vocal but they are the very minority.

To be fair my controversial opinion is that Xbox brand is shrinking due the Gamepass… it is hard to predict the future but right now Xbox One was more successful than Series taking the same timeframe.
I think the pandemic explains the hardware number differences to some degree at least.

OP
OP
Bryank75

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
What I don't get is why so many decided to pander to one particular side this gen.

Well I have this theory... each generation gets a group of younger kids into a brand and they age up each generation.

I think MSFT / XBox is very aware they had one strong generation and that they are aging out for the most part after this generation ends, so they put everything they could into marketing, outreach, PR etc... we saw G4 get brought back at great expense and these constant callbacks to the 360 gen to try and leverage the nostalgia.

It's smart of them but also comes off as a bit heavy handed sometimes, like all the Gamepass push sometimes just turns me off.... where you can't go anywhere without getting it shoved in your face.

Reactions: riesgoyfortuna

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Well I have this theory... each generation gets a group of younger kids into a brand and they age up each generation.

I think MSFT / XBox is very aware they had one strong generation and that they are aging out for the most part after this generation ends, so they put everything they could into marketing, outreach, PR etc... we saw G4 get brought back at great expense and these constant callbacks to the 360 gen to try and leverage the nostalgia.

It's smart of them but also comes off as a bit heavy handed sometimes, like all the Gamepass push sometimes just turns me off.... where you can't go anywhere without getting it shoved in your face.
Too bad the kids these days are more into roblox, fortnite, and minecraft than gamepass games, or Microsoft could have hit on a winning strategy for cultivating a following for the next 20 years.

• they're_right_you_know
OP
OP
Bryank75

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Too bad the kids these days are more into roblox, fortnite, and minecraft than gamepass games, or Microsoft could have hit on a winning strategy for cultivating a following for the next 20 years.

Well, they did get Minecraft and it was an incredible buy for what they got it.

I think they could have gone for Roblox too before it went public and it would have suited their always online / GAAS type game focus.

I think diversifying away from PlayStation and Nintendo and making their platform have it's own more distinct identity is the best move, no need to chase all the games that make PlayStation what it is..... if you get me?

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Well, they did get Minecraft and it was an incredible buy for what they got it.

I think they could have gone for Roblox too before it went public and it would have suited their always online / GAAS type game focus.

I think diversifying away from PlayStation and Nintendo and making their platform have it's own more distinct identity is the best move, no need to chase all the games that make PlayStation what it is..... if you get me?
Don’t forget, it wasn’t Xbox that got Minecraft, Mojang was purchased by Microsoft corporate and is seperate from XBox entirely.

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
I have unsubscribed from a couple of YouTubers channels because it became annoying. Some of them say it almost as often as the ring the bell and comment thing.

• thisistheway

Old Gamer

Veteran
Founder
5 Aug 2022
Honestly I think he's just pandering to an audience that wants to have certain biases confirmed by a former Sony dev that parrots the same talking points they do.
Funny you mention that.

Alanis Morissette Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Playstation Sucka

8 Jan 2023
I don't understand what's wrong with CLiffyB?
He made Gears 1,2,3. Probably one best best trilogies out there. I love these games. Judgment, 4 and 5 are all trash in comparison.
He also had some hand in unreal or ut games.... what's there not to like ?
Cliffy B should not have left Gears that's what you get though how is MS going to get him in again for the sake of it ?
Rod Fergusson gears marketing was trash I liked gears 5 though

Reactions: Bryank75 and rofif

twinspectre

8 Jan 2023
cyberspace
I'm with Jaffe, because I know what he means.
Games can "tell a story" much differently than movies, games can make you experience stuff instead of being "spoon feed" with cut scenes, and long dialogue.
Half Life and Metroid Prime 1 are the best example of how a game can make you feel you're part of the world they build, gives you an immersion that Sony's first party can never archieve, because these 2 games makes you "live" that universe, with Sony's first party the only immersion you get is the same as you watching a movie (spectator immersion).
EDIT: Even From Software's games are great at giving you an experience that only videogames can give.

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
I'm with Jaffe, because I know what he means.
Games can "tell a story" much differently than movies, games can make you experience stuff instead of being "spoon feed" with cut scenes, and long dialogue.
Half Life and Metroid Prime 1 are the best example of how a game can make you feel you're part of the world they build, gives you an immersion that Sony's first party can never archieve, because these 2 games makes you "live" that universe, with Sony's first party the only immersion you get is the same as you watching a movie (spectator immersion).
EDIT: Even From Software's games are great at giving you an experience that only videogames can give.
never had any problem with sony's games achieving immersion with they world or narrative and ''live'' in it.

Reactions: Gamernyc78

twinspectre

8 Jan 2023
cyberspace
never had any problem with sony's games achieving immersion with they world or narrative and ''live'' in it.
Live in it isn't a thing in Sony's games, live in it is something that you get from games like Half Life.
In Sony's games you don't feel you're part of the world they build, instead you feel like a spectator watching a movie.
If you play games like Half Life, or Metroid Prime, you ARE the character.

• haha
Reactions: ethomaz

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Live in it isn't a thing in Sony's games, live in it is something that you get from games like Half Life.
In Sony's games you don't feel you're part of the world they build, instead you feel like a spectator watching a movie.
If you play games like Half Life, or Metroid Prime, you ARE the character.
um...no? i've never felt "like" gordon freeman or samus any less than i felt "like" ellie, joel, jin sakai, aloy. why do you feel like a spectator? Because there are high quality cutscenes? That's laughable, there are cutscenes in every game that has a story. Elden Ring has cinematics, that doesn't make me feel "like" the tarnished any less.

• noneofmybizz
Reactions: Gamernyc78
Status
Not open for further replies.