Status
Not open for further replies.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Live in it isn't a thing in Sony's games, live in it is something that you get from games like Half Life.
In Sony's games you don't feel you're part of the world they build, instead you feel like a spectator watching a movie.
If you play games like Half Life, or Metroid Prime, you ARE the character.
In Sony games you are the character and feels like living it.

I mean there is no way to play TLOU or Uncharted and doesn’t feel you are Joel or Nathan.

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
Live in it isn't a thing in Sony's games, live in it is something that you get from games like Half Life.
In Sony's games you don't feel you're part of the world they build, instead you feel like a spectator watching a movie.
If you play games like Half Life, or Metroid Prime, you ARE the character.
if you feel like that, it is okey, but it is not accurate at all.
biggest majority of players immerse themself in sony's games and ''live'' in those world.
i wasn't more immerse in Half Life than in any other Sony's game.

games are literally Active activity. spectator is passive.

twinspectre

8 Jan 2023
cyberspace
um...no? i've never felt "like" gordon freeman or samus any less than i felt "like" ellie, joel, jin sakai, aloy. why do you feel like a spectator? Because there are high quality cutscenes? That's laughable, there are cutscenes in every game that has a story. Elden Ring has cinematics, that doesn't make me feel "like" the tarnished any less.
??? You never played Half Life didn't you?
Because if you actually did, you won't say "there are cutscenes in every game that has a story".
Looks like you don't understand what I mean with "videogames could be much different compared to movies", but sadly people enjoy Hollywood in videogames.

twinspectre

8 Jan 2023
cyberspace
In Sony games you are the character and feels like living it.

I mean there is no way to play TLOU or Uncharted and doesn’t feel you are Joel or Nathan.
So, you are telling me you feel like the character in games like Last of Us? no, because the entire experience is you following line by line everything from the start to the end.
This isn't "FEELING" like the main character, this is more like "Let me see what these characters do next".

twinspectre

8 Jan 2023
cyberspace
if you feel like that, it is okey, but it is not accurate at all.
biggest majority of players immerse themself in sony's games and ''live'' in those world.
i wasn't more immerse in Half Life than in any other Sony's game.

games are literally Active activity. spectator is passive.
Well, when I used to play Sony's games I didn't felt like I'm the character, I felt more like "What will happend next".

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022
never had any problem with sony's games achieving immersion with they world or narrative and ''live'' in it.
Sony games are the benchmark of storytelling in gameplay. Proof is in the popularity.

Myself as a gamer for decades have sampled pretty much everything under the sun. During the ps3 era as an Xbox gamer, once I got a ps3 as a second console having played Sony exclusives, it was clear where they sit.

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
Well, when I used to play Sony's games I didn't felt like I'm the character, I felt more like "What will happend next".
literally, every game is ''what will happens next'', there is no way around it, because otherwise it should be procedural generated and that's practically impossible. no one else done that ever. even to do procedural generated worlds is difficult, you have still boundaries and limitations and still it will be ''what will happens next''.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
So, you are telling me you feel like the character in games like Last of Us? no, because the entire experience is you following line by line everything from the start to the end.
This isn't "FEELING" like the main character, this is more like "Let me see what these characters do next".
Yes... you feel like the characters in games like TLOU... there is no way to not feel like being Joel.
You literally control him.

You are saying that for story sake you need to follow a script... that is the same for Halo-life or Metroid Prime that are your examples... there is no diference at all with Sony's games.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
literally, every game is ''what will happens next'', there is no way around it, because otherwise it should be procedural generated and that's practically impossible. no one else done that ever. even procedural generated worlds to do is difficult, you have still boundaries and limitations and still it will be ''what will happens next''.
Even in procedural generated games you have missions/actions that popup to follow the story... so you end being guided after all.

His examples are the same as Sony's games... in Halo-life you follow scripted story sequences (aka cutscenes)... but seems like having the ability to move your head in the cutscenes is somehow different lol maybe GoW is different for him because in most cutscenes you can move Kratos.

Last edited:

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
Yes... you feel like the characters in games like TLOU... there is no way to not feel like being Joel.

You are saying that for story sake you need to follow a script... that is the same for Halo-life or Metroid Prime that are your examples... there is no diference at all with Sony's games.
good luck explaining it about Red Dead Redemption 2, and how it is not immersive and you aren't living in it 😂

• fire
Reactions: ethomaz

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
So he's not only a massive douchebag but also a paedo? Fuckin hell.
I met him and his wife once in a post event party of a local game industry awards ceremony. If we analize his tastes with his partner, she's a georgeous adult looking woman of approximately his age.

I don't think he is that, I think he only meant that some people at that age can look adult in terms of height, body proportions etc. so an adult can be attracted to them without being a paedo, in fact I assume he/she may not know they are that young because some people is really bad at guessing how old is other people.

I remember I had my first girlfriend when she and I were both 13 years old, and looking at the height and breasts she had back then many people would have guessed she was 18. Later when I was 19 was attracted to a girl who was firtly with me and apparently had a similar age to me but I knew she was only 15 just before having anything with her, so I avoided her (even if in my country I think age of consent was 13, I think they later raised it). I assume he means cases like that.

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
Because if you actually did, you won't say "there are cutscenes in every game that has a story".
Looks like you don't understand what I mean with "videogames could be much different compared to movies", but sadly people enjoy Hollywood in videogames.
Half life has tons of cut scenes, you just keep control while they play out (but you can't escape).

It's different, having your character jump around while an NPC tells you their story about some big drama is hardly immersive.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
I mean Half-life literally have tons story sequences cutscenes (around 30 minutes total).

Just because you can control your characters during the story cutscenes doesn't make it special or different... they are obligatory and unavoidable... that is how the game tells you the story.

Like I said in GoW you can control Kratos in most cutscenes and that doesn't make any difference for the immersion at all.

PS. Make story movie with Half-life and Halo-life 2 cutscenes is a thing in the community btw... remove the gameplay parts and focus on the cutscnes... and it works pretty well because Halo-Life's story was told in a Hollywood way.

Last edited:

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
Like I said in GoW you can control Kratos in most cutscenes and that doesn't make any difference for the immersion at all.
Not at all, but the story itself is not that great at times. I wish for a return of a single protagonist and NPCs that shut up in the next game.

I had the most fun is the side areas.

Reactions: ethomaz

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Funny you mention that.

Alanis Morissette Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

I mean he’s kinda right.
I hate politics but people who think Musk and Trump are your friends and no different to other politicians and rich guys then lol.
Dont get me wrong, its fun seeing the usual twitter folks complaining about Msk, but they all suck and arent the saviours

twinspectre

8 Jan 2023
cyberspace
I mean Half-life literally have tons story sequences cutscenes (around 30 minutes total).

Just because you can control your characters during the story cutscenes doesn't make it special or different... they are obligatory and unavoidable... that is how the game tells you the story.

PS. Make story movie with Half-life and Halo-life 2 cutscenes is a thing in the community btw... remove the gameplay parts and focus on the cutscnes... and it works pretty well because Halo-Life's story was told in a Hollywood way.
I think you don't know what I mean, lol.
Half life isn't "spoon feeding" you with "forced" cutscenes, you can understand what happend even without talking to npcs, why? because you're experiencing everything in front of your eyes.
Metroid Prime tells you the lore of Tallon IV just by exploring the place, and you understand what happend to Tallon IV.
I bet a game like GOW or LAST of US, if you try to play it like a Metroid Prime or Half life you have no clue what's going on, because these games are designed with "forced" story telling and "forced" cinematics.

twinspectre

8 Jan 2023
cyberspace
Half life has tons of cut scenes, you just keep control while they play out (but you can't escape).

It's different, having your character jump around while an NPC tells you their story about some big drama is hardly immersive.
Half life has 0 "forced" cutscenes, with Half Life you can skip the guy talking and still understand what's going on.
Let's say Half Life had 0 scientist in black mesa, and you see the "events" unfold, do you still understand what's going on or do you need somebody stopping you and telling you "There was an accident and now Aliens invaded us thanks to the resonance cascade".

twinspectre

8 Jan 2023
cyberspace

I get it, you don't understand what games could be, but sadly some people (don't want to sound rude) are handicapping this medium that could be unique.

Status
Not open for further replies.