[Europe] PS5 leads the market with a 369% growth YOY, followed by Switch (down 18%) and then Xbox Series S and X (down 10%)

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
Sales slowing down on year 3 is absurd and shows that PS5 stock problems were inflating Xbox numbers.

Many people were probably getting Series S consoles as a stop gap before getting a PS5 and MS doesn't seem interested/capable of producing more Series X consoles.

Now the PS5 Slim, PS5 Pro and all the upcoming games will only make things worse for Xbox. MS should just apologize and quit the console market.

thicc_girls_are_teh_best

Veteran
Icon Extra
24 Jun 2022
Yeah, it's clear going forward that MS will use the sales beating they're receiving to justify buying as much as they can get away with, but if their leadership continues to suck, it won't matter too much.

That won't work. Regulators may not be perfect, but they aren't complete idiots. MS have already played the "we're in 3rd place" card for ABK, it wouldn't work again for another publisher after they just purchased one of the largest in the industry with the same card of an excuse. Plus if those hardware sales lagging continued even after getting Zenimax and ABK, the question could easily be asked if MS are in third simply because the actual customers in the market do not see value in their brand compared to Sony and Nintendo?

But about the actual Xbox numbers...I see some people say it's because of lack of exclusives, but exclusives hardly account for the majority of software sales. Even in Sony's record year, 1P software only accounted for 18.5% of total software sales. PS and Xbox share like 90% of the same software library, especially among the biggest Western and most of the biggest Japanese 3P games. FIFA, COD, GTA, Fortnite, NBA 2K, Resident Evil, Sonic, etc., are on both platforms. So it can't be as simple as saying the sales gap is due to software library.

Is it lack of big marketing deals for Xbox? Maybe. But even for games where Sony doesn't have marketing deals, usually PlayStation has the lion's share of those software sales across Europe, even in the UK. So even laying the explanation on that is too simple. I just think Xbox has a serious brand perception issue in Europe that's developed over generations of neglecting to zero in on the market, and now they're paying the consequences of that neglect with Series X & S. It probably has less to do with those consoles themselves than it does with bad management choices for the European region dating back to 2001/2002.

In some ways I'd say it could be comparable with what happened with Sega and the Dreamcast; the Dreamcast itself was a fine system, but it paid the price for years of bad decisions between the 32X and Saturn, and we saw this happen in particular with the European market. I think something similar is happening with Xbox today, it just took longer to occur because Microsoft didn't have screw-ups clustered as closely together at such big levels as Sega did between 1994 - 1998.

Sales slowing down on year 3 is absurd and shows that PS5 stock problems were inflating Xbox numbers.

Many people were probably getting Series S consoles as a stop gap before getting a PS5 and MS doesn't seem interested/capable of producing more Series X consoles.

Now the PS5 Slim, PS5 Pro and all the upcoming games will only make things worse for Xbox. MS should just apologize and quit the console market.

IIRC Series X consoles are actually readily available across Europe, and have been for months. So it's not a lack of X supply why sales are down; it's lacking demand.

Last edited:
  • brain
Reactions: Jim Ryan

Old Gamer

Veteran
Founder
5 Aug 2022
you are right, they play idiots for the right price. just look at CMA and ABK deal.
The only reason the NVidia-AMD deal got blocked was that American companies demanded it.

Nothing is going to change until EU countries grow balls and ban Microsoft products, no ifs and buts.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Umar and Jim Ryan

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
Corrupt regulators will absolutely play dumb.
MS will just sink any publisher they buy if they tie them to Xbox.

They need to go third-party and stop this nonsense of creating consoles that will be thrown in the trash in a few years like the Series S. They too their shots and missed they should find within themselves the dignity to just admit Xbox is dead.

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
The next big trump card for them is multiple acquisitions they think once all the studios MS are buying crank up production, Playstation will get steamrolled.
TES in 2031 and Diablo 5 in 2034 are going to save Xbox. :ROFLMAO:

Even the acquisition nonsense can only get them so far before it becomes completely ridiculous.

D

Deleted member 223

Sony-land.

Expect nothing less, accept nothing less.

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
Xbox is in free-fall globally, its selling only a few hundred units in Japan/Asia and pathetic numbers in this second strongest territory and 3rd in its strongest.

I see people speculating and pinning all their hopes and dreams on Starfield and ABK and im like…uhm? ABK isn’t going to change anything, not this generation, almost all their games are multiplatform. Even if they were to put them on gamepass it wouldn’t cause an exodus, just like MLB continue to sell more copies on Playstation still.

People that have games like CoD on auto-pay every year really only play call of duty, maybe one other game. Spending 200 dollars on gamepass isn’t going to be the better option for them.

and Starfield even if it does come out well, thats not going to be the return of Skyrim. Elder Scrolls and to a lesser extent Fallout sold as much as they did becuase of all teh re-releases and because they were released everywhere. Even if Starfield is well received i dont think it takes mindshare over the likes of something like Spider-Man 2, especially after a new spider-verse movie.

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
Xbox is in free-fall globally, its selling only a few hundred units in Japan/Asia and pathetic numbers in this second strongest territory and 3rd in its strongest.

I see people speculating and pinning all their hopes and dreams on Starfield and ABK and im like…uhm? ABK isn’t going to change anything, not this generation, almost all their games are multiplatform. Even if they were to put them on gamepass it wouldn’t cause an exodus, just like MLB continue to sell more copies on Playstation still.

People that have games like CoD on auto-pay every year really only play call of duty, maybe one other game. Spending 200 dollars on gamepass isn’t going to be the better option for them.

and Starfield even if it does come out well, thats not going to be the return of Skyrim. Elder Scrolls and to a lesser extent Fallout sold as much as they did becuase of all teh re-releases and because they were released everywhere. Even if Starfield is well received i dont think it takes mindshare over the likes of something like Spider-Man 2, especially after a new spider-verse movie.
I think Baldur's gate 3, spider man 2, and silent hill 2 remake Back to Back to Back is enough to blunt whatever momentum starfield could gather and that's assuming its this Game of the generation contender which by the looks of things currently, it doesnt look that way. That's also just what we know, who knows what sony could have up their sleeve.

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
also, I think the generation is just kind of lost at this point. Microsoft need to look to do what the PS3 did in it’s generation to a lesser extent which is build up the studios they have and make sure they start releasing good, quality games and building a name for themselves.

As of right now, no one cares about the Coalition, Undead, The Initative, Compulsion games, etc. and no one really cares about Hellblade, Perfect dark, Fable, Avowed, Everwild, etc. those aren’t system selling names, but they could be if they are high quality releases and their sequels could actually be real system sellers or whatever else those studios make next gen.

No one thought of Insomniac as system sellers, but put them on Spider-Man and now Wolverine and people are most definitely not missing out on those games. Same with Suckerpunch, Guerrilla, and even the God of War IP, which went from selling a cool 5m copies per entry to 20m+ and 11m in two months time.

The thing about Microsoft letting Sony get an early lead in just over 2 years is that with the gap its harder to catch back up. Everyone you lose to the ps5 will continue building their library and community there. Microsoft has been big on eco systems so they understand what it means to lose customers. You have a 20 million install base gap and those 20 million players all tell their friends and family to get ps5’s and it becomes this exponential number that just continues on indefinitely.

Outside of something like GTA exclusivity or something else monumental (pokemon) there is not gonna be a game that drives customers to buy an xbox this generation on name alone.

Last edited:

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
HAHA! The damage control and copium from Xbots is off the charts :ROFLMAO:
I think they are pinning way too many expectation on starfield. For one, i think its going to 30 fps as hinted at by Todd Howard. I think that will blunt alot of positive momentum. Second, the starfield gameplay on June 11th is going to be compared to ff16, which is also having a live launch show the same day, probably with a demo. Third, if they decide to stick the September release date, its going head to head with spider man 2. Fourth, its also on pc so just by virtue of that its not going to be a huge system seller. Fifth, the series s will probably run terribly and that is the majority of series console sold so far.

That is ALOT to overcome for one game.