[Europe] PS5 sales are up 202% compared with the year before, Switch #2 (down 11%) and Xbox #3 (down 32%)

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Decrease of 32% for Xbox? Jesus, 2022 was already bad. WTH? Will Series even reach 40m units sold through the entire gen?

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
Series X's only real competition is the PS5, which is even bigger and far uglier. And as to physical discs... they get cheaper over-time. The best part of buying physical is buying used. Means nothing first-party if you buy game pass but nobody, except perhaps a few Nintendo loyalists, buys a console solely to play first party games.
PS5 sure is bigger and uglier but it sets itself apart. Series X is just another generic piece of hardware visually. Even the Series S is more compelling.
The X is just... boring.

Bodycount611

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
Series X's only real competition is the PS5, which is even bigger and far uglier. And as to physical discs... they get cheaper over-time. The best part of buying physical is buying used. Means nothing first-party if you buy game pass but nobody, except perhaps a few Nintendo loyalists, buys a console solely to play first party games.
there's no collector's market on xbox and most games from MS themselves ship with no data on discs, like halo. I just can't fathom ever getting a return on investment on physical xbox games, they're unanimously worthless all the way back to the OG Xbox to now.

If I did buy an Xbox, it'd be a Series S + a gamepass subscription. Seems like most people go that way nowadays.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
PS5 sure is bigger and uglier but it sets itself apart. Series X is just another generic piece of hardware visually. Even the Series S is more compelling.
The X is just... boring.
I don't want my video game console to stand apart, I want it to sit (and fit) in my designated game console space and otherwise blend in with the backround. I have actual good furniture and antiques in my living room to set the scene design-wise and tons of video game collector shit in my own room that does the same.

edit: @Bodycount611, thats the point. a consumer should want the discs to get extremely cheap so he can buy them for less. From "buys on release but also collects" point of view that is bad (and yeah, I prefer PS to XB collecting when it comes to buying non-Nintendo stuff for my GIANT WALL OF GAMES) but thats not what the typical consumer wants, they want to buy used for less.

Bodycount611

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
The X is just... boring.
PS5 ugly? That's news to me, it looks beautiful. It's straight out of the sci-fi channel. I could see it in bladerunner, or star trek hovering in air, surrounded by a blue orb of light.

ps5-pre-order-header.jpg
9c2899f80b4339e2f5f9460785b9a2d2--hoods-carbon-fiber.jpg

Xbox on the other hand is very visually offensive. You can see the utilitarian design doing it no favours.
IMG_5735Cropped_575px.jpg
zI3BTCZFSgk84lIwuPJ713qKVXnzQLsV6D59bqy-4-M.jpg

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
I don't want my video game console to stand apart, I want it to sit (and fit) in my designated game console space and otherwise blend in with the backround. I have actual good furniture and antiques in my living room to set the scene design-wise and tons of video game collector shit in my own room that does the same.

edit: @Bodycount611, thats the point. a consumer should want the discs to get extremely cheap so he can buy them for less. From "buys on release but also collects" point of view that is bad (and yeah, I prefer PS to XB collecting when it comes to buying non-Nintendo stuff for my GIANT WALL OF GAMES) but thats not what the typical consumer wants, they want to buy used for less.
Are you the sort of twit who stares at the console while playing a game?

What the fuck does it matter what the system looks like? You look at the screen to play games, don’t you?

This is the dumbest of all the astroturf talking points this generation. “I prefer Series X because the PS 5 isn’t a generic black box and it makes me feel inadequate!”

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Are you the sort of moron who stares at the console while playing a game?

What the fuck does it matter what the system looks like? You look at the screen to play games, don’t you?

This is the dumbest of all the astroturf talking points this generation. “I prefer Series X because the PS 5 isn’t a generic black box and it makes me feel inadequate!”
We aren't talking about buying a console based on it, we are talking about which one actually looks better and is less obtrusive. Its clearly the Xbox specifically because it isn't a giant obnoxious vagina that has trouble fitting in media centers.

Bodycount611

Veteran
1 Jul 2022

it's a just a very ugly, big, fat, black brick of a console that sticks out like sore thumb. placed horizontally it looks downright laughable. Especially paired with the last gen controller that still uses AA batteries, it feels like you're not getting a premium product especially at the price point. The design just doesn't work for the flagship console offering.

It's almost like they put no R&D into this console at all, either of them really, and consumers have taken notice.

they need an emergency redesign ala PS3 slim.

-Ditch the fungus/booger/piss green color branding entirely
-Resdesign and slim down the series X.
-Start work immediately on a dualsense competitor and drastic controller redesign.
-Make new cases for games. Not piss green.

just my 2 cents for why consumers are avoiding the product.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Series X is a killed product by MS.
It was supposed to have the title "strongest console in the world" but failed.
MS main focus was always been Series S even in detriment of Series X that is just a paper consoles nowdays.

They don't care about Series X.
When you choose to allocate 90% of your wafer for the Series S you know they just don't want to invest in Series X.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
it's a just a very ugly, big, fat, black brick of a console that sticks out like sore thumb. placed horizontally it looks downright laughable. Especially paired with the last gen controller that still uses AA batteries, it feels like you're not getting a premium product especially at the price point. The design just doesn't work for the flagship console offering.

It's almost like they put no R&D into this console at all, either of them really, and consumers have taken notice.

they need an emergency redesign ala PS3 slim.

-Ditch the fungus/booger/piss green color branding entirely
-Resdesign and slim down the series X.
-Start work immediately on a dualsense competitor and drastic controller redesign.
-Make new cases for games. Not piss green.

just my 2 cents for why consumers are avoiding the product.
I think the internals of the series X are actually some sort of marvel that they are able to build multiple stacked boards like that and not have it be a production nightmare. As is, it is significantly better than the PS5 even ignoring ascetics, just the smaller size alone is a huge advantage to consumers. If they were to be able to reduce it even more that would be even more of an advantage but, only two years on, I doubt they are there yet. I do not think that the green vs blue (or, this gen, white) branding matters. If anything, having a console choose white as its main design is still really weird looking to me. PS4 boxes look far better than PS5, PS3 also looks okay and PS2 is fine but a little dated still being in "standard" DVD-shaped packages. IMO its time for all manufacturers to reduce down in size to jewel-case/DS case equivalents. It makes no sense for anyone, including movie companies, to still maintain a box format that was originally intended to compete with VHS. Obviously thats a big risk so I'd take a reduction to PS3/Switch cases in a pinch. In regards to the controllers thats a hell of a debate but I would say that I prefer the Xbox stick layout and see no benefit to adding a touchscreen and HD rumble/voice tech. Thats useless cost-waste and the controller is probably one of the best bonuses to going Xbox over Playstation.

My two cents on why PS is "winning" over Xbox is exclusives and brand loyalty (which was built on exclusives or lack thereof over the last ten years.) Exclusives/game quality has always been the make or break for console sales. There has yet to be a single generation (bar, perhaps, the Wii's performance in gen 6) where library quality did not directly correlate to lifetime console sales.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bryank75

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
PS5 sure is bigger and uglier but it sets itself apart.
I found the DE model the most beaultiful and sexy console ever created.
It does look amazing... I liked the color too.

But I agree that disc drive makes it bad... it break the design... it is like a sexy guy lose the sexy apeal after cultivate a big beer belly.
I'm even more confident that the real PS5 was DE model and after they tried to put a baby (aka disc drive) inside it.
The design was made for DE.

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
I think the internals of the series X are actually some sort of marvel that they are able to build multiple stacked boards like that and not have it be a production nightmare. As is, it is significantly better than the PS5 even ignoring ascetics, just the smaller size alone is a huge advantage to consumers.

Is this a joke? SFF computer cases have existed for a while you know? As for production nightmare... You do know that the PS5 costs less to be produced, right? The disc version was not selling at a loss back in mid 2021, while the Series X, up until recently, was being sold at a loss of $200

SFF case example:

PS5

Xbox

I do not think that the green vs blue (or, this gen, white) branding matters. If anything, having a console choose white as its main design is still really weird looking to me.

Like this one?

RE4FkjX

And the PS5 has something the Series consoles don't: Replaceable parts. You can make your console black, or blue, or red, or whatever colour you want, as long as there are parts for it. They are not even that expensive (the official ones), and you can get non-official for 20 quid.

In regards to the controllers thats a hell of a debate but I would say that I prefer the Xbox stick layout and see no benefit to adding a touchscreen and HD rumble/voice tech. Thats useless cost-waste and the controller is probably one of the best bonuses to going Xbox over Playstation.

Imagine buying a console with no games because the controller feels somewhat better. Also, having an incredible controller with lots of features that are actively being used is much worse than having a controller that still uses AA batteries and feels like a toy that cost 10 quid. Sure.

My two cents on why PS is "winning" over Xbox is exclusives and brand loyalty (which was built on exclusives or lack thereof over the last ten years.) Exclusives/game quality has always been the make or break for console sales. There has yet to be a single generation (bar, perhaps, the Wii's performance in gen 6) where library quality did not directly correlate to lifetime console sales.

So many lines of nonsense to justify your choice in a console with no games only to arrive at a flawed conclusion. Congratulations.

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
We aren't talking about buying a console based on it, we are talking about which one actually looks better and is less obtrusive. Its clearly the Xbox specifically because it isn't a giant obnoxious vagina that has trouble fitting in media centers.
Ah, you’re afraid of vaginas.

That explains EVERYTHING.

D

Deleted member 417

Based on historical trends sales should have fallen off a cliff years ago, they haven't. Even with Covid being over they are only down 11percent, and all with no official price drops.

On your Switch 2 prediction, you are picking and choosing facts there, including irrelevant stuff like how Nintendo consoles performed in the 90s while excluding relevant stuff like how their handhelds have tracked. Post-GCN, Nintendo consoles depended on the strength of their gimmicks to determine market acceptance. Switch was successful across all fields, Wii U universally bombed, Wii hit with casuals but hardcore gamers hated waggle (and game sales suffered for it in later years.)

Now, I think we all suspect the Switch 2 to be a suped up Switch but we don't actually know, and we don't know the tech specs, form factor, etc. either. It's way too early to state it's impending success or failure.
Relax, the switch 2 comment was tongue in cheek. I know it is hard to detect sarcasm and satire on the internet, but i hoped with dropping the MS windows meme in, that it would highlight the humour. That said, we have no idea how the market will react or what the Switch 2 will be. Never underestimate the extremes of Nintendo. They can make the hottest product in the world (wii) or the most pointless one (2ds..or whichever 3d handheld didn't play 3d games)
Series S is as organic as a bag of shit.... I mean fertilizer.
100%. All of the comments from the shills and paid accounts are about how the Series S "is a fantastic piece of kit" (as i've said before) and none of it praising the X. They don't even praise the X for been the more powerful console - even though it is on paper, which tells me there is some serious shilling going on for Series S. I would love to see the split between the consoles because my guess would be that the S is DOA and is forced on customers.
which is even bigger and far uglier
Opinions and all, but nahh. The PS5 is a great looking piece of kit and more importantly, a unique looking piece of kit. I liked the big fat slab of the OG Xbox and the little white box of the Dreamcast. Give me unique over VCR player any day

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
About the Resetera thread.... putting aside the funny posts for a second.

How are so many comments just exactly the same thing or a small variation of something that has been said several times already in the thread?
Is this the fear of being banned, so everything turns out to be pretty generic?
Seems like there are very few insightful posts and it takes ages to get any real discussion and forward momentum....

Now... some of the posts are just amazing.... 'Phil has to turn things around', 'Sara Bond needs to get some 3rd party exclusives, even if they are not on gamepass' etc etc....

All they will do by taking Japanese games away from PlayStation is piss PS fans off and make them incredibly angry with Xbox so they will never consider and Xbox (if they would have to begin with)

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Is this a joke? SFF computer cases have existed for a while you know? As for production nightmare... You do know that the PS5 costs less to be produced, right? The disc version was not selling at a loss back in mid 2021, while the Series X, up until recently, was being sold at a loss of $200
Sounds to me like them being able to produce it is a wonder then. As to your niche computer box builder... its a niche builder that I've never heard of before. It probably has no in-store presence. It doesn't strengthen your argument.

Like this one?

RE4FkjX
Its extremely ugly, perhaps even purposely so (I remember there being speculation about that, pre-release.) I appreciate your pointing out customizable cases for PS5 but they fail to account for the shape of the PS5 itself being ugly and obnoxious (it doesn't fucking fit in media centers) or the fact that most people just aren't going to buy them and stick with the default load-out. People didn't buy 360 faceplates, they aren't going to buy PS5 flaps.
Imagine buying a console with no games because the controller feels somewhat better. Also, having an incredible controller with lots of features that are actively being used is much worse than having a controller that still uses AA batteries and feels like a toy that cost 10 quid. Sure.

So many lines of nonsense to justify your choice in a console with no games only to arrive at a flawed conclusion. Congratulations.
I don't own either, a Switch is my current console of choice. I get no use out of the HD rumble and am incredibly glad that my pro controller doesn't have a fucking touch-anything on it. I've had my fill of that bullshit on Nintendo's handhelds. In regards to batteries, yeah it sucks. Would much rather just charge up with a plug, which thankfully the Switch (and Playstation) has. While PS5 has better games currently and will probably win the gen because of it that doesn't change the fact that its form-factor is incredibly, almost definingly ugly and sticks out obnoxiously in many a living room.

D

Deleted member 417

About the Resetera thread.... putting aside the funny posts for a second.

How are so many comments just exactly the same thing or a small variation of something that has been said several times already in the thread?
Is this the fear of being banned, so everything turns out to be pretty generic?
Seems like there are very few insightful posts and it takes ages to get any real discussion and forward momentum....
The honest answer is Bots. Social media is 80% bots (estimations vary but I like the pareto split). There are many, many news stories that you can pull from Google in 15 seconds flat that discuss the frequent purging of millions of bots from instagram, twitter, tik tok etc.

Neogaf and REEE use bots and botfarms (real people, usually in india/south east asia, who have 100 devices on a bench to create 100's of accounts). It is no different from the Amazon review controversy a few years ago where Amazon were caught buffing up their own products using bot accounts.

In all seriousness, Investors in social media and the internet at large at being swindled out of millions and billions of dollars. The house of cards will come crashing down and the tech industry will see a disaster worse than the dotcom bubble burst of 00/01.

For extra fun, you should see how many people who play games online are actually AI and bots.