[Europe] PS5 sales are up 202% compared with the year before, Switch #2 (down 11%) and Xbox #3 (down 32%)

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Not to defend REEEEE or anything, (I haven't been there for 3+ years), but from what I remember, I think the repetitive nature of the comments comes from the fact that there are no reactions. The reactions available here and GAF vastly reduces the number of low-quality drive-by posts.
They'd have to add trigger warnings for most reactions.

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Not to defend REEEEE or anything, (I haven't been there for 3+ years), but from what I remember, I think the repetitive nature of the comments comes from the fact that there are no reactions. The reactions available here and GAF vastly reduces the number of low-quality drive-by posts.

Good point, I had forgotten that they don't have those.

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
I don't want my video game console to stand apart, I want it to sit (and fit) in my designated game console space and otherwise blend in with the backround. I have actual good furniture and antiques in my living room to set the scene design-wise and tons of video game collector shit in my own room that does the same.

edit: @Bodycount611, thats the point. a consumer should want the discs to get extremely cheap so he can buy them for less. From "buys on release but also collects" point of view that is bad (and yeah, I prefer PS to XB collecting when it comes to buying non-Nintendo stuff for my GIANT WALL OF GAMES) but thats not what the typical consumer wants, they want to buy used for less.
I want mine to stand apart. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
About the Resetera thread.... putting aside the funny posts for a second.

How are so many comments just exactly the same thing or a small variation of something that has been said several times already in the thread?
Is this the fear of being banned, so everything turns out to be pretty generic?
Seems like there are very few insightful posts and it takes ages to get any real discussion and forward momentum....

Now... some of the posts are just amazing.... 'Phil has to turn things around', 'Sara Bond needs to get some 3rd party exclusives, even if they are not on gamepass' etc etc....

All they will do by taking Japanese games away from PlayStation is piss PS fans off and make them incredibly angry with Xbox so they will never consider and Xbox (if they would have to begin with)
Yes. You can’t really say what you think there. They are so afraid of losing insiders and journalists that the forum is extremely… sterile.

KiryuRealty

28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Yes. You can’t really say what you think there. They are so afraid of losing insiders and journalists that the forum is extremely… sterile.
Also, the few real users left there are either afraid to post at all due to fear of being banned or doxxed by mods (This actually has happened to at least one person! Beside sent an email to his employer for disagreeing with some radical bullshit.), that they just lurk, or they are all in on the groupthink and only post the equivalent of those yelling "Jawhol!" at the Nuremberg Rallies just to keep from being sent to the camps.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 417

Don’t forget, Sony was talking about not starting up the next Gen soon and letting the other guys go first when they were already almost done the PS5 R and D process.

It was six months after saying they weren’t going to go first that they had the Wired magazine visit where Cerny showed off the PS5 devkit prototype, and by all accounts MS was caught sleeping and panicked hard.

I didn't know that but how were MS so foolish to believe it? Cerny openly admitted he had started work on the PS5 as soon as the Ps4 launched.
Well it's great that you can feel it is genuine, I hope more people will find the place and join and make it their home but I like the balance we have now in terms of atmosphere.

I remember being a lurker on Gaf for years, it definitely did have that clubhouse feel, as you say.

But at a certain size, maybe it becomes very hard to manage everything and you have to just take the select few. I can understand it from that perspective. Competition and options for people to discuss are much greater now though and twitter has definitely become the defacto place for influencer wanna-be's and youtubers, along with media and other people looking to make a name for themselves.

It is genuine and it's a great place to be. Thanks to you and all of the team that made this site possible /brown-nosing

As humans we can only work in groups of 50 (or so), because that was the average/max size of tribes way back when. When put in a group of hundreds, we still only select a group of 50 that we really deal with. The future of forums is probably something like reddit, without the over-reach. Somewhere to connect with likeminded people, but having a smaller community area to chat with. Maybe something like reddit mixed with the AOL and MSN chat rooms of old.

I think there's three key answers here.

1) The growth of the non-English speaking internet. Especially China but also "generic Asia", India, the middle east and India. These groups have their own chat services and websites that we never see or hear from. Lots of these guys are phone posters, too, btw and thus will be less active on forums.
2) The huge amount of "surface online" people who only use social media, video sites or chat sites. These people don't contribute much of anything to discussion and don't matter. They make up numbers for the general internet but don't actually contribute anything meaningful to it. Not to mention that, as phone-posters these folks are siloed into FB, Twitter, Tiktok and not much else.
3) The uptick in Discord, Telegram and other private chats. There's always been private chats (BBS and ICQ predate the vBulletin forum, for instance) but they seem to have grown back after a long decline in the late 90s and early 2000s. Unlike the phone people these groups do contribute to the conversation but unfortunately in an ephremeral manner- what they say will soon enough be lost to the sands of time while forum posts linger on for decades.

There's no denying that is true, but that doesn't mean China et al weren't on the internet back in the day. I've lost count of how many stories i saw of [South East Asian Person] dies after playing [Video game] for [inhuman] number of hours.

If we split those numbers up between apps (social media) and main internet (forums et al) there is still a discrepancy in numbers. Even if we say that every person online is real, but 80% of those people are in non-English speaking countries, there's still a huge scam going on because english speaking websites' user numbers are being inflated by the number of non-english speaking people. For example, if Reddit (or digg) in 2004 has 1 million users out of 10 million people on the internet (for talks sake) and it now has 50 million users out of 1.5 billion people on the internet, then that website has failed and failed big time. Yet the perception is that it is a healthy, thriving community.

Bots and AI are propping up the Internet and I can only assume that the truth hasn't come out because the implications and consequences of the truth being told, would be catastrophic. Why else did so many people panic when Musk took control of Twitter? It had nothing to do with politics and everything to do with him revealing the true number of bots on the platform

thicc_girls_are_teh_best

Veteran
Icon Extra
24 Jun 2022
This dude is so emotionally invested in fighting for Microsoft, they can't seem to see the obvious. The amount of similarities I could list between Microsoft's console business decisions and Sega's would probably break the character limit for a single post.

The only reason Microsoft haven't left hardware is solely due to their amounts of money earned from non-Xbox parts of the company. That is more or less the only difference. Although Sega had a much bigger impact on influencing game design trends and making industry-leading games than Microsoft have, IMO (and that's considering console & arcade for Sega, and console & PC for Microsoft).

Which is one of the reasons I still love playing Sega games from that era and their consoles from then (especially Saturn) today. The OG Xbox & 360 will have more of that effect for me in the future, but yeah.

Attachments

• Yoga_Piss.jpg
    Yoga_Piss.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 12

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
There's no denying that is true, but that doesn't mean China et al weren't on the internet back in the day. I've lost count of how many stories i saw of [South East Asian Person] dies after playing [Video game] for [inhuman] number of hours.
Oh, there were always non-native English speakers around, its just that back then they were more likely to be rich/well educated and thus could converse on the English language Internet. (edit: They were also harder to count back then because they disproportionately used net cafes which were, for those under 25, pay per use computer labs open to the general public.) Only a few communities (Japan, China, etc.) largely did not and that was because they were big enough to not really need that international component to talk about something as international as video games or cars. Now their population has grown but they no longer need to be able to speak English to converse on niche topics, so even the ones who are bilingual often choose not to. And, in the case of Chinese speakers, its a lot harder to get through the firewall now than it was back then (slipping onto the international versions of stuff like WoW or Runescape used to be a joke, now it seems legitimately hard unless you are doing it as a farming job-except the bots stole all that work.)

While social media is almost certainly inflating its numbers with scam stuff, I don't think 1.5 billion users total is off-base. Thats one in every 4/5 people. When you factor in that even third worlders have sat phones and talk on various chat platforms now that number isn't hard to believe at all. Its just that people are fraudulently reporting personal subscribers/ad sales. That stuff is being over-reported while the number of "viewers but not subscribers" or users of private chat services is being underestimated.

Last edited:
  • brain
Reactions: Deleted member 417

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
You're damn lucky your TV isn't three inches bigger or it would be sitting in the middle of your floor. Its already too big for your media center's built in console/dvd player slots. Which is a point I've been harping on but there it is, you have it sitting up in the tv area instead of where your furniture manufacturer designed it to go.

I can fit the PS5 and a bigger 65 inch TV. This is a 55 inch one.

As for the media center, I don't like the PS5 horizontal. I think it fits.
So I.... have an opinion on something? Yes, yes I do. I assume you don't own an Xbox and yet you have an opinion on it. And I absolutely will compare rumble features- they're all useless. I can't remember the last time I've found rumble actually add positive experiences to a product but can remember it taking away from experiences.

I have played with an Xbox current gen controller so... My opinion is actually valuable, yours is hearsay. Thanks for playing.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: KiryuRealty

KiryuRealty

28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Oh, there were always non-native English speakers around, its just that back then they were more likely to be rich/well educated and thus could converse on the English language Internet. (edit: They were also harder to count back then because they disproportionately used net cafes which were, for those under 25, pay per use computer labs open to the general public.) Only a few communities (Japan, China, etc.) largely did not and that was because they were big enough to really need that international component to talk about something as international as video games or cars. Now their population has grown but they no longer need to be able to speak English to converse on niche topics, so even the ones who are bilingual often choose not to. And, in the case of Chinese speakers, its a lot harder to get through the firewall now than it was back then (slipping onto the international versions of stuff like WoW or Runescape used to be a joke, now it seems legitimately hard unless you are doing it as a farming job-except the bots stole all that work.)

While social media is almost certainly inflating its numbers with scam stuff, I don't think 1.5 billion users total is off-base. Thats one in every 4/5 people. When you factor in that even third worlders have sat phones and talk on various chat platforms now that number isn't hard to believe at all. Its just that people are fraudulently reporting personal subscribers/ad sales. That stuff is being over-reported while the number of "viewers but not subscribers" or users of private chat services is being underestimated.
Hell, half of GAF nowadays barely qualifies as speaking English. Some posts there are impossible to parse.

• haha

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
You can feel how genuine it is. Evilore keeps making announcements about 1500 new users, only to ban 1499 of them. Same as Ree. It gives the impression that the website is popular, while making it look like a sacred cow. When Gaf was email only, it added the impression that it was a premium, secret clubhouse and you were lucky to be there. The mass bannings work in a similar way.

Give me 30 people online joined by the love of consoles or cars or hobbies, over a website with 10,000 people all talking about nonsense.

What will really fry your noodle is when you ask yourself how forums like this are just as popular as they were in the early 00's, even though there are supposedly 1.5 billion people online compared to only 10's of millions back then.
In the past I said here that even with the suppose big difference in amount of users online daily the activity in GAF and ERA were pretty similar and not that absurd over smaller forums.

The volume of posts in GAF decreased in judgement magnificently after the ERA exodus and ERA volume of posts dropped in the same terms after the Exodus to InstallBase, that other Nintendo forum and D-pad.

Today there is no big gaming forum anymore.
It is all niche.

D

Deleted member 417

In the past I said here that even with the suppose big difference in amount of users online daily the activity in GAF and ERA were pretty similar and not that absurd over smaller forums.

The volume of posts in GAF decreased in judgement magnificently after the ERA exodus and ERA volume of posts dropped in the same terms after the Exodus to InstallBase, that other Nintendo forum and D-pad.

Today there is no big gaming forum anymore.
It is all niche.
Gaming forums were destroyed by big American companies, namely EA, Activision and Microsoft. They flooded the forums with so many shill and bot accounts (and have been caught doing so, many times) that discussion over video games became pointless, Look at the xbox shills on this site, or worse, look at the ones on GAF. There can be no discussion only acceptance and that one-way dialogue has led to people getting fed up of discussing gaming online so they had to find something else. Unfortunately that something else became politics and ruined gaming forums even further.

REE banned discussion of Hogwarts, a video game, because of apparent genocide by the creator saying women are women. The whole farce is laughable in and of itself, but REE was only following the footsteps of Evilore, who banned discussion about the video game 'Hatred'. Even now, Manabyte is on a crusade against Atomic Hearts because it was made in Russia.

The combination of shill accounts screaming corporate talking points, charged with political undertones, has led to the death of the gaming forum.

Sure, console wars always existed, but today's industry and discussion is a long way from "Sega has better games", "Those booth babes are hot" and "ohh man, did you see that surprise at e3!?". There was always a base love for the industry, the games and their creators. Now it is hate, political accusations and overly-dramatic soyboys crying over the equality of fictional characters. It makes no wonder there's no big gaming forum anymore.

KiryuRealty

28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
The mindshare in PlayStation IP is beyond reproach. Prediction, Starfield won’t move the needle even an inch. New ip without built in fan base simply will not do it.
People really underestimate just how smart Sony was to just keep the PlayStation name and a sequential number for every generation after the first.

Just being able to clearly and simply see what the current model is, without any confusion, makes it a more trustworthy brand to consumers.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
That's why I suggested Xbox needs to either partner with or merge with Disney. It can't compete without strong IPs like Disney owns, and it would be much safer to go after the children's demographic.

• they're_right_you_know

Bodycount611

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
nobody's going to come in and save xbox. The brand just doesn't have any value. especially with halo and gears being dead now. Disney has their own problems nowadays.

They could sell IP, probably a large chunk of them will go to embracer. Halo being one of them.

If i were Sony i wouldn't even let the eventual multiplatform forza on the console. why eat into GT7's share by allowing forza? not a smart idea.

Bethesda has some value as a multiplatform publisher, but even then, they've come off a string of flops (doom eternal, fallout 76, evil within 2, wolfenstein, and hi fi rush all flopped) so i'm not sure what to do with them either.

the xbox brand is looking like all the slops and backwash from the industry molded into one giant ball of unsaleable sludge.

• fire
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
nobody's going to come in and save xbox. The brand just doesn't have any value. especially with halo and gears being dead now. Disney has their own problems nowadays.

They could sell IP, probably a large chunk of them will go to embracer. Halo being one of them.

If i were Sony i wouldn't even let the eventual multiplatform forza on the console. why eat into GT7's share by allowing forza? not a smart idea.

Bethesda has some value as a multiplatform publisher, but even then, they've come off a string of flops (doom eternal, fallout 76, evil within 2, wolfenstein, and hi fi rush all flopped) so i'm not sure what to do with them either.

the xbox brand is looking like all the slops and backwash from the industry molded into one giant ball of unsaleable sludge.
i would 100% let forza be on playstation.

With this directly below it.

• they're_right_you_know

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Oh man, remember that time Nintendo wouldn't let Sonic on their console? This isn't how stuff works, man. Also, Halo and Gears are far from dead. I don't know where you get the Gears thing from, specifically, its the only thing Microsoft actually still makes anymore.

Reactions: Bryank75