[Europe] PS5 sales are up 202% compared with the year before, Switch #2 (down 11%) and Xbox #3 (down 32%)

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
The honest answer is Bots. Social media is 80% bots (estimations vary but I like the pareto split). There are many, many news stories that you can pull from Google in 15 seconds flat that discuss the frequent purging of millions of bots from instagram, twitter, tik tok etc.

Neogaf and REEE use bots and botfarms (real people, usually in india/south east asia, who have 100 devices on a bench to create 100's of accounts). It is no different from the Amazon review controversy a few years ago where Amazon were caught buffing up their own products using bot accounts.

In all seriousness, Investors in social media and the internet at large at being swindled out of millions and billions of dollars. The house of cards will come crashing down and the tech industry will see a disaster worse than the dotcom bubble burst of 00/01.

For extra fun, you should see how many people who play games online are actually AI and bots.
In the case of Reeeee, between bots and the groupthink and fear of being banned for wrongthink, you very seldom see any differing opinions.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Deleted member 417

thicc_girls_are_teh_best

Veteran
Icon Extra
24 Jun 2022
I work in/around/on/between manufacturing and the idea of that is madness. I'm not saying what you have said is madness, I believe it, but MS doing it is madness. The feasibility study for that idea, in this market, with products as unknown as consoles, should have been laughed out of the room. The idea of making tiers of affordability for a scalable product makes sense when that product is a knife or power tool, but to do it for electronics is playing with fire, to do it with consoles where you have one shot every 5-7 years is outright insanity.

Surely the cost of making 2 consoles, where one is a red-headed step-child - let alone the cannibalisation of your own target customer, just doesn't add up. Making one console, with one manufacturing line and selling that console at a loss makes more sense commercially and financially than taking a loss on two consoles + the extra manufacturing costs. Microsoft could have made a Series X, without a disc drive, shipped with 12 months of free gamepass (knowing the launch window would be baron) and taken a hit on those consoles and still saved money.

I feel like taking a plane to Redmond and slapping some sense into people. I hope they had succumb to industrial espionage when the kick-off meetings for the Series' consoles happened.

I think it starts to make sense if you consider when MS likely began Series development in earnest. The One X didn't even launch until late 2017; then we got the Xbox & PS5 spec "leak" rumors early 2018 via the Github leak. We know the Surface team led development of the new Xbox consoles (or at least they were heavily involved), and the type of production mentality you criticize is exactly the type of mentality that's popular and sustainable in personal computing markets, plus it theoretically helped facilitate a Series X that could serve two roles at once (a regular home console, and an upgradable server machine via additional RAM & storage).

Somewhere along the line, I think Microsoft thought they could translate that model to the console space, and if they kept the higher-end product at a lower volume, could control losses assuming the lower-priced system (which they would still be taking a loss on, but a smaller one I suppose) were doing good enough in sales and the service it was designed around, Game Pass, could grow substantially in revenue.

That said, this also meant Microsoft, IMO, probably had less than two years to actually design the Series consoles. IMO the reason they have "full RDNA2" is because they literally had to wait for AMD to finalize the spec, whereas Sony had more time with the spec & roadmap, and had more time to architect their system out (they never scaled down R&D funding for PlayStation the way Microsoft did for Xbox during the 2015 - 2017 period). That's probably one of the reasons the PS5 has more customizations in its design (and more significant ones, I'd say).

Genuinely feels like Microsoft only had maybe two years to get ready for this generation; they likely had plans for 9th-gen and were working towards them, but maybe those plans centered on something closer to a Series S? Then, after the One S & One X results, they decided to go with that strategy again for 9th gen, in Series S & Series X, and accelerated the architecture & design spec for the systems starting maybe sometime late 2017.

Unfortunately for them, results aren't validating that approach as being fruitful.

D

Deleted member 417

In the case of Reeeee, between bots and the groupthink and fear of being banned for wrongthink, you very seldom see any differing opinions.
I wonder how much is groupthink and how much is supposed groupthink to make people believe that groupthink is organic and not a bot army.

REEE wasn't worth $5 million. Not in any universe, unless the user numbers are pumped beyond belief and the buyers were getting their hands on a cheap bot/shill farm.

Most people would be stunned to silence if they knew how many reviews, journalists, online posters and social media opinions were bots/bot farms. It's so incredible, most people refuse to believe it.

KiryuRealty

28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
I wonder how much is groupthink and how much is supposed groupthink to make people believe that groupthink is organic and not a bot army.

REEE wasn't worth $5 million. Not in any universe, unless the user numbers are pumped beyond belief and the buyers were getting their hands on a cheap bot/shill farm.

Most people would be stunned to silence if they knew how many reviews, journalists, online posters and social media opinions were bots/bot farms. It's so incredible, most people refuse to believe it.
The numbers were based on total registrations, and didn’t count that 90% of their list had been banned.

And that’s NOT a joke. At the time of the sale, they had banned 90% of the accounts that had been created up to that point!

Last edited:

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
The honest answer is Bots. Social media is 80% bots (estimations vary but I like the pareto split). There are many, many news stories that you can pull from Google in 15 seconds flat that discuss the frequent purging of millions of bots from instagram, twitter, tik tok etc.

Neogaf and REEE use bots and botfarms (real people, usually in india/south east asia, who have 100 devices on a bench to create 100's of accounts). It is no different from the Amazon review controversy a few years ago where Amazon were caught buffing up their own products using bot accounts.

In all seriousness, Investors in social media and the internet at large at being swindled out of millions and billions of dollars. The house of cards will come crashing down and the tech industry will see a disaster worse than the dotcom bubble burst of 00/01.

For extra fun, you should see how many people who play games online are actually AI and bots.

Honestly, I always suspected this... cause on Gaf and other places it was always the same few people commenting or having an honest conversation.

But we have run everything above board here, we SOMETIMES have 30 people online at once and it seems like we have quite a lot of conversation compared to the numbers Gaf and others have listed on their pages.

I guess the difference is that this is a passion project (lol) for us.... we just had something we felt we needed to make. As opposed to some money making scheme, although I'm not against making a few coins.

Zeroing

Veteran
6 Jul 2022
Or North America. Or South America, Antarctica, the Middle East, or Asia...
Its true, here in Portugal we don’t even have selves for Xbox stuff, the consoles are on the floors.

Fun fact: Xbox recently stopped selling physical games in Brasil, they gotta make that Xbox one all digital future come true!

D

Deleted member 417

I think it starts to make sense if you consider when MS likely began Series development in earnest. The One X didn't even launch until late 2017; then we got the Xbox & PS5 spec "leak" rumors early 2018 via the Github leak. We know the Surface team led development of the new Xbox consoles (or at least they were heavily involved), and the type of production mentality you criticize is exactly the type of mentality that's popular and sustainable in personal computing markets, plus it theoretically helped facilitate a Series X that could serve two roles at once (a regular home console, and an upgradable server machine via additional RAM & storage).
With all due respect, this isn't a personal computing market, it's a mass-produced electronic product. If MS thought it was anything other than that, then they have made a huge mistake.

Somewhere along the line, I think Microsoft thought they could translate that model to the console space, and if they kept the higher-end product at a lower volume, could control losses assuming the lower-priced system (which they would still be taking a loss on, but a smaller one I suppose) were doing good enough in sales and the service it was designed around, Game Pass, could grow substantially in revenue.
I agree with this. The Series X does feel more like a personal home server for gaming than it does a console. Especially with the lack of upgrades.

That said, this also meant Microsoft, IMO, probably had less than two years to actually design the Series consoles. IMO the reason they have "full RDNA2" is because they literally had to wait for AMD to finalize the spec, whereas Sony had more time with the spec & roadmap, and had more time to architect their system out (they never scaled down R&D funding for PlayStation the way Microsoft did for Xbox during the 2015 - 2017 period). That's probably one of the reasons the PS5 has more customizations in its design (and more significant ones, I'd say).
I think this has been proven. To my knowledge this is exactly what happened, to the point where MS were apparently trying to buy information on what Sony and Cerny were doing. However it backfired because the developments Cerny was bringing to the PS5 also helped AMD with their RDNA2 and 3 tech, so they told MS to FO

Genuinely feels like Microsoft only had maybe two years to get ready for this generation; they likely had plans for 9th-gen and were working towards them, but maybe those plans centered on something closer to a Series S? Then, after the One S & One X results, they decided to go with that strategy again for 9th gen, in Series S & Series X, and accelerated the architecture & design spec for the systems starting maybe sometime late 2017.

Unfortunately for them, results aren't validating that approach as being fruitful.
I believe they underestimated Sony (again!) and believed they would go for a cheap and cheerful mid-range console (even though sony have never done that). I also believe MS thought that Sony would keep the gen going on longer so that they could maximise the profits of the PS4, like MS did with the 360, which bit MS in the arse.

I reckon they did full R+D for the S and it was going to be the new generation, leaping ahead of Sony, as MS assumed they would ride the pro a little longer. This would give MS time to develop the SX ready for Sony dropping the PS5. However, the PS5 turned out more powerful than MS anticipated and MS threw together the X in quick-time just to compete. You can see this by how off-the-shelf the X looks and feels compared to the PS5 or even Series S.

Where MS really screwed themselves is not having a tech guy like Cerny on their team. Cerny knew about diminishing returns and through his feedback from devs and publishers (who asked for more RAM and throughput) he set to work on making those the priorities. So while MS went to play dick-dangling top trumps about TF, Sony made a throughput monster.

It gets worse for MS because the Series X cannot compete with the PS5 in graphics or RT, regardless of what the shills say, and the PS5 was built for VR from the ground-up. Within the next 12 months, you will see VR games looking better than anything on the Series X

D

Deleted member 417

Honestly, I always suspected this... cause on Gaf and other places it was always the same few people commenting or having an honest conversation.

But we have run everything above board here, we SOMETIMES have 30 people online at once and it seems like we have quite a lot of conversation compared to the numbers Gaf and others have listed on their pages.

I guess the difference is that this is a passion project (lol) for us.... we just had something we felt we needed to make. As opposed to some money making scheme, although I'm not against making a few coins.

You can feel how genuine it is. Evilore keeps making announcements about 1500 new users, only to ban 1499 of them. Same as Ree. It gives the impression that the website is popular, while making it look like a sacred cow. When Gaf was email only, it added the impression that it was a premium, secret clubhouse and you were lucky to be there. The mass bannings work in a similar way.

Give me 30 people online joined by the love of consoles or cars or hobbies, over a website with 10,000 people all talking about nonsense.

What will really fry your noodle is when you ask yourself how forums like this are just as popular as they were in the early 00's, even though there are supposedly 1.5 billion people online compared to only 10's of millions back then.

KiryuRealty

28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
With all due respect, this isn't a personal computing market, it's a mass-produced electronic product. If MS thought it was anything other than that, then they have made a huge mistake.

I agree with this. The Series X does feel more like a personal home server for gaming than it does a console. Especially with the lack of upgrades.

I think this has been proven. To my knowledge this is exactly what happened, to the point where MS were apparently trying to buy information on what Sony and Cerny were doing. However it backfired because the developments Cerny was bringing to the PS5 also helped AMD with their RDNA2 and 3 tech, so they told MS to FO

I believe they underestimated Sony (again!) and believed they would go for a cheap and cheerful mid-range console (even though sony have never done that). I also believe MS thought that Sony would keep the gen going on longer so that they could maximise the profits of the PS4, like MS did with the 360, which bit MS in the arse.

I reckon they did full R+D for the S and it was going to be the new generation, leaping ahead of Sony, as MS assumed they would ride the pro a little longer. This would give MS time to develop the SX ready for Sony dropping the PS5. However, the PS5 turned out more powerful than MS anticipated and MS threw together the X in quick-time just to compete. You can see this by how off-the-shelf the X looks and feels compared to the PS5 or even Series S.

Where MS really screwed themselves is not having a tech guy like Cerny on their team. Cerny knew about diminishing returns and through his feedback from devs and publishers (who asked for more RAM and throughput) he set to work on making those the priorities. So while MS went to play dick-dangling top trumps about TF, Sony made a throughput monster.

It gets worse for MS because the Series X cannot compete with the PS5 in graphics or RT, regardless of what the shills say, and the PS5 was built for VR from the ground-up. Within the next 12 months, you will see VR games looking better than anything on the Series X
Don’t forget, Sony was talking about not starting up the next Gen soon and letting the other guys go first when they were already almost done the PS5 R and D process.

It was six months after saying they weren’t going to go first that they had the Wired magazine visit where Cerny showed off the PS5 devkit prototype, and by all accounts MS was caught sleeping and panicked hard.

• Informative

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
You can feel how genuine it is. Evilore keeps making announcements about 1500 new users, only to ban 1499 of them. Same as Ree. It gives the impression that the website is popular, while making it look like a sacred cow. When Gaf was email only, it added the impression that it was a premium, secret clubhouse and you were lucky to be there. The mass bannings work in a similar way.

Give me 30 people online joined by the love of consoles or cars or hobbies, over a website with 10,000 people all talking about nonsense.

What will really fry your noodle is when you ask yourself how forums like this are just as popular as they were in the early 00's, even though there are supposedly 1.5 billion people online compared to only 10's of millions back then.

Well it's great that you can feel it is genuine, I hope more people will find the place and join and make it their home but I like the balance we have now in terms of atmosphere.

I remember being a lurker on Gaf for years, it definitely did have that clubhouse feel, as you say.

But at a certain size, maybe it becomes very hard to manage everything and you have to just take the select few. I can understand it from that perspective. Competition and options for people to discuss are much greater now though and twitter has definitely become the defacto place for influencer wanna-be's and youtubers, along with media and other people looking to make a name for themselves.

• Shake

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Sounds to me like them being able to produce it is a wonder then. As to your niche computer box builder... its a niche builder that I've never heard of before. It probably has no in-store presence. It doesn't strengthen your argument.

You can buy Mini-ITX and SFF cases on Amazon and various retailers. You never hearing of it before doesn't mean it doesn't exist pretty much everywhere. The Series X is a console mostly assembled of off-shelf parts apart from the motherboard.

Its extremely ugly, perhaps even purposely so (I remember there being speculation about that, pre-release.) I appreciate your pointing out customizable cases for PS5 but they fail to account for the shape of the PS5 itself being ugly and obnoxious (it doesn't fucking fit in media centers) or the fact that most people just aren't going to buy them and stick with the default load-out. People didn't buy 360 faceplates, they aren't going to buy PS5 flaps.

And yet people buy PS5 flaps. I have plenty of friends that did. As for it being ugly and obnoxious, I'll take it all day over a characterless box.

And it doesn't stick in my living room, looks perfectly fine where it is. It even matches the colour of the living room.

MQjkyg8.jpg

I don't own either, a Switch is my current console of choice. I get no use out of the HD rumble and am incredibly glad that my pro controller doesn't have a fucking touch-anything on it. I've had my fill of that bullshit on Nintendo's handhelds. In regards to batteries, yeah it sucks. Would much rather just charge up with a plug, which thankfully the Switch (and Playstation) has. While PS5 has better games currently and will probably win the gen because of it that doesn't change the fact that its form-factor is incredibly, almost definingly ugly and sticks out obnoxiously in many a living room.

So... You don't own either, yet you dislike something you don't own and like something you don't own? Are you ok? And don't compare the rumble on the switch to the one on the PS5, please. I have both and play regularly on both nowadays. They are as comparable as an earthquake is to the dualshock 3 rumble.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
I think there's three key answers here.

1) The growth of the non-English speaking internet. Especially China but also "generic Asia", India, the middle east and India. These groups have their own chat services and websites that we never see or hear from. Lots of these guys are phone posters, too, btw and thus will be less active on forums.
2) The huge amount of "surface online" people who only use social media, video sites or chat sites. These people don't contribute much of anything to discussion and don't matter. They make up numbers for the general internet but don't actually contribute anything meaningful to it. Not to mention that, as phone-posters these folks are siloed into FB, Twitter, Tiktok and not much else.
3) The uptick in Discord, Telegram and other private chats. There's always been private chats (BBS and ICQ predate the vBulletin forum, for instance) but they seem to have grown back after a long decline in the late 90s and early 2000s. Unlike the phone people these groups do contribute to the conversation but unfortunately in an ephremeral manner- what they say will soon enough be lost to the sands of time while forum posts linger on for decades.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
And yet people buy PS5 flaps. I have plenty of friends that did. As for it being ugly and obnoxious, I'll take it all day over a characterless box.

And it doesn't stick in my living room, looks perfectly fine where it is. It even matches the colour of the living room.

MQjkyg8.jpg
You're damn lucky your TV isn't three inches bigger or it would be sitting in the middle of your floor. Its already too big for your media center's built in console/dvd player slots. Which is a point I've been harping on but there it is, you have it sitting up in the tv area instead of where your furniture manufacturer designed it to go.

So... You don't own either, yet you dislike something you don't own and like something you don't own? Are you ok? And don't compare the rumble on the switch to the one on the PS5, please. I have both and play regularly on both nowadays. They are as comparable as an earthquake is to the dualshock 3 rumble.
So I.... have an opinion on something? Yes, yes I do. I assume you don't own an Xbox and yet you have an opinion on it. And I absolutely will compare rumble features- they're all useless. I can't remember the last time I've found rumble actually add positive experiences to a product but can remember it taking away from experiences.

Bodycount611

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
You're damn lucky your TV isn't three inches bigger or it would be sitting in the middle of your floor. Its already too big for your media center's built in console/dvd player slots. Which is a point I've been harping on but there it is, you have it sitting up in the tv area instead of where your furniture manufacturer designed it to go.

So I.... have an opinion on something? Yes, yes I do. I assume you don't own an Xbox and yet you have an opinion on it. And I absolutely will compare rumble features- they're all useless. I can't remember the last time I've found rumble actually add positive experiences to a product but can remember it taking away from experiences.
each gun's trigger pull in Resident Evil village made them all feel different, that was pretty cool. other than that returnal was the best use so far, triggers sometimes being on a 2-stage switch meaning they essentially become 4 buttons, each for alternate fire modes...

admittedly its rarer that the features do anything significant, but when they do they add entirely new ways to play and control games that no other controller can match.

It's objectively the best and most advanced controller on the market. Can't wait to feel all the guns in resident evil 4.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
each gun's trigger pull in Resident Evil village made them all feel different, that was pretty cool. other than that returnal was the best use so far, triggers sometimes being on a 2-stage switch meaning they essentially become 4 buttons, each for alternate fire modes...

admittedly its rarer that the features do anything significant, but when they do they add entirely new ways to play and control games that no other controller can match.

It's objectively the best and most advanced controller on the market. Can't wait to feel all the guns in resident evil 4.
The RE gun-feel thing just sounds like a gimmick to me, not really interested. Having two stage (or analog) triggers is useful but its not really PlayStation exclusive and is entirely separate from rumble.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
I tried to read the ERA thread but some guys lives in in alternate reality.

Xbox had a pretty good start this gen, I think mainly due to the hype around Game Pass and the studio acquisitions. Good hardware, better availability and bad PR around PS helped as well.
At a certain point it felt like 'everyone' was ready to move over to Xbox.

Lately it feels like the hype around Xbox is stalling again. I assume certain markets, like Europe, are starting to get a bit saturated as well.

Series start was way worst than Xbox One Tier 1 countries.

Better availability? PS5 constantly outsold it since day… I mean the availability of PS5 was way better than Series… Sony shipped around double consoles per quarter.

Bad PR around PS? What? PS5 is being hyped since launch with historical not seen demand.

“Everybody” was ready to move to Xbox? So why sales are half of PS5 since launch? Because people don’t want Xbox and nobody is moving to it.

alphachino

24 Aug 2022
About the Resetera thread.... putting aside the funny posts for a second.

How are so many comments just exactly the same thing or a small variation of something that has been said several times already in the thread?
Is this the fear of being banned, so everything turns out to be pretty generic?
Seems like there are very few insightful posts and it takes ages to get any real discussion and forward momentum....

Now... some of the posts are just amazing.... 'Phil has to turn things around', 'Sara Bond needs to get some 3rd party exclusives, even if they are not on gamepass' etc etc....

All they will do by taking Japanese games away from PlayStation is piss PS fans off and make them incredibly angry with Xbox so they will never consider and Xbox (if they would have to begin with)
Not to defend REEEEE or anything, (I haven't been there for 3+ years), but from what I remember, I think the repetitive nature of the comments comes from the fact that there are no reactions. The reactions available here and GAF vastly reduces the number of low-quality drive-by posts.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
I tried to read the ERA thread but some guys lives in in alternate reality.

Series start was way worst than Xbox One Tier 1 countries.

Better availability? PS5 constantly outsold it since day… I mean the availability of PS5 was way better than Series… Sony shipped around double consoles per quarter.

Bad PR around PS? What? PS5 is being hyped since launch with historical not seen demand.

“Everybody” was ready to move to Xbox? So why sales are half of PS5 since launch? Because people don’t want Xbox and nobody is moving to it.
era is the definition of a media bubble, it has so many shills and actively rejects dissenting opinions and information that doesn't agree with what's "acceptable" to present. It's better off not reading it at all.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: KiryuRealty