Famitsu] Interview with Jim Ryan: Importance of Japanese market and games, Spider-Man 2 on PS5, PSVR2, PC ports 2-3 years after release

FIREK2029

24 Jun 2022
He's saying what I knew all along.

I bought a PS5 in addition to my PC for a reason, I hate waiting for games and I knew Sony would always do staggered releases. I told people Sony wouldn't be doing the day and date bullshit that MS does because they don't wanna crater hardware sales but these weirdos and lunatics cursed me out.

I'm loving the meltdowns I'm seeing on Era and Twitter over this interview. Feels good to be right :cool:

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Delaying PC ports by up to 3 years(!) only limits the sales potential of the port. The best quality PC ports will be developed in-house by the teams themselves as much as possible. Dropping a finished game on a port team like Nixxes will never get the best results. So if Playstation is going to get good at PC ports, they will be developed in tandem with the console version, and finished around the same time. Why at that point would Sony sit on product ready to sell?
Because fuck PC gamers.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
Which PC?
What build specifically?
Are there any differences between a GTX 1080 and a 6900XT? Between an Intel I9 and a Ryzen 3?
How about Mechanical HDDs, SATA SSDs, and M.2s, are there any differences there that would need to be accounted for?
"PC" is a very nebulous term, man. The differences between two PCs alone can be quite hefty. There's less difference in overall formatting and architecture, but in terms of performance variables that they'd have to try to account for and design around?
Yeah, huge differences.

You can easily build a PC from off the shelf (AMD) parts which is practically identical to a PS5. But let's say you don't and you go Intel + Nvidia + a "slow" pcie3 ssd. Not uncommon PC build at all. Even with these "big" differences, it's still practically identical compared to the difference between a PS3 and a PC circa 2006. It's not too much to get your head around. Also every programmer and designer is familiar with it because that's what all the tools run on.

• haha
Reactions: Swolf712

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Delaying PC ports by up to 3 years(!) only limits the sales potential of the port. The best quality PC ports will be developed in-house by the teams themselves as much as possible. Dropping a finished game on a port team like Nixxes will never get the best results. So if Playstation is going to get good at PC ports, they will be developed in tandem with the console version, and finished around the same time. Why at that point would Sony sit on product ready to sell?
If you want to play PlayStation games, buy a damned PlayStation already.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
Because fuck PC gamers.
Dave Chappelle Wow GIF

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
I have every playstation. it would be nice if some of these games weren't trapped in a janky state for eternity while PC games from 2004 are getting ray tracing and AI-upscaled assets. if you don't want to play bloodborne with these kinds of enhancements, are you sure you really like playstation?

Reactions: Systemshock2023

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
Exaclty, you can spend as much as you want on your PC and in the end the biggest difference compared to the PS5 is going to be the stutter you'll get.

Did you start gaming in 2022? The situation with late-gen UE4 games does suck but PC is always ahead. Staking your claim on a console outperforming a PC is never going to pan out. The 4090 might be the biggest performance gap over consoles since like 2002. I don't even think it's realistic for gamers to own because it's so far ahead of development.

• haha
Reactions: Bryank75

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
I have every playstation. it would be nice if some of these games weren't trapped in a janky state for eternity while PC games from 2004 are getting ray tracing and AI-upscaled assets. if you don't want to play bloodborne with these kinds of enhancements, are you sure you really like playstation?

There should be a PS5 Pro releasing soon enough... within a year or so.

The problem with PC, is that the architecture is archaic and built for multitasking.... that's why they can't run games properly and why PC users pay thousands more to bridge the gap...where consoles can provide that performance for a mere fraction of the cost. Shader compilation is a massive problem and memory on GPU's... where Nvidia fleece PC gamers to add a small bit of extra ram onto the GPU.

and after all that spending Nvidia and Valve dont make a single game to showcase the cards capabilities between them.... it's all take on their side.

I don't understand the logic behind PC gaming at all TBH.... Mods?

Mostly what I see on PC is people using cheats on multiplayer games, benchmarking enthusiasts and people who like to spend as little as possible on games and as much as possible on their hardware.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
There should be a PS5 Pro releasing soon enough... within a year or so.

The problem with PC, is that the architecture is archaic and built for multitasking.... that's why they can't run games properly and why PC users pay thousands more to bridge the gap...where consoles can provide that performance for a mere fraction of the cost. Shader compilation is a massive problem and memory on GPU's... where Nvidia fleece PC gamers to add a small bit of extra ram onto the GPU.

and after all that spending Nvidia and Valve dont make a single game to showcase the cards capabilities between them.... it's all take on their side.

I don't understand the logic behind PC gaming at all TBH.... Mods?

Mostly what I see on PC is people using cheats on multiplayer games, benchmarking enthusiasts and people who like to spend as little as possible on games and as much as possible on their hardware.
Playstation 5 has the exact same architecture as my "multitasking" PC. If you want to say Windows sucks and holds back gaming, I totally agree.

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Playstation 5 has the exact same architecture as my "multitasking" PC. If you want to say Windows sucks and holds back gaming, I totally agree.

Windows, Direct X, NVidia and the multitasking nature of the PC..... they all conspire to give you a fraction of the performance that such hardware would get you in a console setup (Not a Xbox / Direct X console).

I don't mean to sound like an asshole and online I sometimes cross that line too often. I just think PC gamers are getting shafted and most don't realize it.

I also blame Microsoft for taking many of the really great PC focused studios and using them to fuel their console ambitions and then throwing them away when they didn't do the job.... like Westwood under EA and many many others.

Reactions: nongkris

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Did you start gaming in 2022? The situation with late-gen UE4 games does suck but PC is always ahead. Staking your claim on a console outperforming a PC is never going to pan out. The 4090 might be the biggest performance gap over consoles since like 2002. I don't even think it's realistic for gamers to own because it's so far ahead of development.
I started playing PC games in the 90s, is that good enough? PC never looked so lame in comparison to console as it does today.

You could have 10x the power of a 4090 and nothing would change, you would still be playing terrible ports with optimization problems. All the effort in exchange for slightly better resolution and more frame rate (when PS5 is pretty much already running the vast majority of games at 60fps anyway).

PS5 is still running the same game in the end of the day, just with less stutter. :ROFLMAO:

I'm more of a PC player than console player to begging with, I'm not awestruck by PC in it's current sad state. If we had more games like Half-Life Alyx, sure, then PC player would be able to talk shit, as things are, just go wait in your corner. Gone are the days of stuff like Half-Life, WoW, Baldur's Gate, etc, where PC had it's own AAA bangers releasing on a constant basis, now it's consoles ports, emulators, F2P, e-sport and endless trash.

Last edited:

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
You can easily build a PC from off the shelf (AMD) parts which is practically identical to a PS5. But let's say you don't and you go Intel + Nvidia + a "slow" pcie3 ssd. Not uncommon PC build at all. Even with these "big" differences, it's still practically identical compared to the difference between a PS3 and a PC circa 2006. It's not too much to get your head around. Also every programmer and designer is familiar with it because that's what all the tools run on.

And yet on PC you have to account for an HDD and shit hardware, plus all those optimisations, while on console you don't, and have a guaranteed SSD that allows for gamechanging mechanics.

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022

They are also products of their time, and there is nothing wrong with them staying that way as long as we can still play them. This isn't "playing games" this is just tinkering, which I know PC gamers seem to like to do, maybe even more than actually playing games.

I like playstation (and consoles) because I push a button and get what the creator intended with no extra effort on my part. Who in the hell wants to work on updating a game that is more than 20 years old? So you can what .... run it for a bit and say "that's cool!" and move on? You realize how much life you're wasting by clinging onto improving that game? That to me is bizarro world.

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
I think the recent low sales of the Sony PC ports made Jim Ryan re think his strategy. He was previously very bullish on PC ports in older interviews and at one point it sounded like they would come sooner and not later. I think we will see his true intentions if Sony's GAAS games don't release day 1 on PC, that means he's putting his money where his mouth is.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
They are also products of their time, and there is nothing wrong with them staying that way as long as we can still play them. This isn't "playing games" this is just tinkering, which I know PC gamers seem to like to do, maybe even more than actually playing games.

I like playstation (and consoles) because I push a button and get what the creator intended with no extra effort on my part. Who in the hell wants to work on updating a game that is more than 20 years old? So you can what .... run it for a bit and say "that's cool!" and move on? You realize how much life you're wasting by clinging onto improving that game? That to me is bizarro world.
Putting games on PC where they actually *get better* over time doesn't discount your being able to play the original 20fps version of Shadow of the Colossus on PS2 hardware with a wired controller.

Reactions: Systemshock2023

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Putting games on PC where they actually *get better* over time doesn't discount your being able to play the original 20fps version of Shadow of the Colossus on PS2 hardware with a wired controller.

Yeah, incredible shit, buying a game that I want to play today so that I can wait for it to get better in a few months or years.

And it's not like patches are a thing on consoles, of course.

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
I think the recent low sales of the Sony PC ports made Jim Ryan re think his strategy. He was previously very bullish on PC ports in older interviews and at one point it sounded like they would come sooner and not later. I think we will see his true intentions if Sony's GAAS games don't release day 1 on PC, that means he's putting his money where his mouth is.
I still think live service games will be day and date to maximize the player count, but single player games will have staggered releases.

24 Jun 2022

This, basically. The people "trying" to make this into some pro-consumer/anti-consumer argument are just port-begging at this point. It's shameless.

There are actual PC gamers who are not bothered by the wait, and to them I salute you. We have a few over here, in fact. But a lot of the folks trying to say how this is such a bad or "evil" move from Sony are either Xbox fanatics masquerading as PCMR, Xbox fanatics in general, or Nintendo fanboys/fangirls who want even less of a competitor for Nintendo (trust me, they are joyous over Nintendo having no direct competitor in the portable space, but apparently Sony needs Microsoft around to keep them "honest" yet Nintendo needs no direct competitor to keep them honest?).

If someone really wants to play PS 1P games ASAP instead of waiting 3 or several years for them to go to PC, buy a PlayStation. If I want to play TotK or any of NIntendo's 1P, I have to buy a Switch. Microsoft are the exception in this, not the rule.

• Shake
  • they're_right_you_know
Reactions: SSfox and FIREK2029