Famitsu] Interview with Jim Ryan: Importance of Japanese market and games, Spider-Man 2 on PS5, PSVR2, PC ports 2-3 years after release

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
did street fighter v day and date on pc hurt ps4?
Ok, let me explain the difference to you and @Systemshock2023 because it's becoming painful to read this.

PS4 had properly exclusive games through its lifecycle. At the risk of inviting list wars, these included titles like Uncharted, Horizon, GoW, Bloodborne, Spider-Man, GT, TLOU.

As a logical, rational human, if you enjoyed SFV and any of those games, you might be incentivised to purchase a PS4. If you only cared about SFV and could not afford a gaming PC, you might also be incentivised to buy a PS4. However, if you had a gaming PC capable of playing SFV and were not interested in actual PS4 exclusives, you would have little incentive, if any, to buy a PS4 for it. Logically, missing out on a PS4 sale from a subset of the total addressable market can be considered harmful. PS4 as an ecosystem does not benefit from a PC purchase of SFV.

Now you can extrapolate that to a scenario where PS4 has no exclusives, or attracts a less affluent audience that cannot afford to invest in PC gaming. Both of these scenarios hurt PS4 because they directly lead to fewer hardware and software sales on the platform.

This harm is less readily identifiable, apparently, than the obvious harm caused by considering your scenario in total isolation to Xbox, which shares an overlapping target audience but cannot access SFV. If you want to see the effects of a prolonged and sustained exclusive drought, I will again point to the current state of Xbox.

Now, this is based on the demonstrably true premise that software incentivises the purchase of hardware. If you disagree with this premise, well, you'll disagree with this post, and reality, to a lesser extent.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Im surprised and sounds all good. I give Jim Ryan more shit than most fans. But Im glad he’s going with that 2-3 year window for PC, Hermen looked like they wanted to go 1 year out.

And Im happy for hear about the Japanese Market talks from him. Lets see the action side of that, more Japanese centric games from 1st and 3rd party for PS5

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
Imo, their devs need to focus on getting thr most out of and taking full advantage of all PS5 hardware quirks and features (i.e. coding to the metal). Worry about the problem of making it work on PC later.

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
Im surprised and sounds all good. I give Jim Ryan more shit than most fans. But Im glad he’s going with that 2-3 year window for PC, Hermen looked like they wanted to go 1 year out.

And Im happy for hear about the Japanese Market talks from him. Lets see the action side of that, more Japanese centric games from 1st and 3rd party for PS5
I'd like the first party presence in Japan to expand. Make or get a studio capable of making rpgs, horror games, etc.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
did street fighter v day and date on pc hurt ps4?
The rare thing of SFV was being a console exclusive, not being released day one on PC. Also, it's one of many console exclusives, the console have tons of games that aren't available in PC.

Street Fighter is perceived as a 3rd party multiplatform IP, so people got shocked seeing it console exclusive, benefiting PS.

It's completely different than to have ALL 1st party games day one on PC and also day one available on a game sub that easily gives you trials for free or for $1. Fans of these 1st parties would move to a PC and don't miss anything.

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
PC GP isn't keeping Xbox alive; it's putting more money in Microsoft's coffers. Two separate things. The Series X/S is tracking behind the Xbone, and is likely to finish below the original Xbox at 24 million by the time it's discontinued. If this doesn't tell you what an aggressively exclusive-free strategy--replete with their chief exec stating that games don't move hardware--does to a console, nothing will.
There's no reality the Series X/S finishes below the Original Xbox nor get discontinued.

Reactions: Systemshock2023

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
What are the Series consoles sales up to now? Cite your sources.
I don't need to cite any sources as I didn't mention a number and I'm not gonna take the bait to console wars with you.

I simply said there's no reality it sells less than OG Xbox.

Isn't it approaching 10 million in the US + 2 million in the UK, around 400k in Japan? that's already half... plus sales else where.

I don't have figures for the total sales, but that statement was just bordering on delusion.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Neither the Series S nor the Series as are going to sell more than 24.6m console. Double L for MS.