Final Fantasy Rebirth has GOTY stink all over it

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
After watching the State of Play lastnight, I felt like what they showed blew my expectations away in every respect and looking across the internet, it seems I am far from alone.

Zack Fair Point GIF by Xbox

With Jez Corden, Famiboards and almost every honest commentator admitting it looks phenomenal.

Let me know how you felt about it, have you played the demo? And what have you seen in your social circles across the net?

Do you think it will be in the GOTY conversation?

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
After watching the State of Play lastnight, I felt like what they showed blew my expectations away in every respect and looking across the internet, it seems I am far from alone.

With Jez Corden, Famiboards and almost every honest commentator admitting it looks phenomenal.

Let me know how you felt about it, have you played the demo? And what have you seen in your social circles across the net?

i am not a fan of FF and it is looking amazing.

AdamBlack786

6 Feb 2024

Indeed!!!
Square Enix is really cooking with this one

• fire
Reactions: Bryank75

arvfab

Oldest Guard
23 Jun 2022
First one already did, but it was "unlucky" coming out the same year as TLOU2 (same fate as Ghost of Tsushima).

I skipped the SoP yesterday and I'm unsure if I should play the demo or not, as I'd like to have the bonus unlocks, but also want to go blind. Might play the demo skipping cutscenes....

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
First one already did, but it was "unlucky" coming out the same year as TLOU2 (same fate as Ghost of Tsushima).

I skipped the SoP yesterday and I'm unsure if I should play the demo or not, as I'd like to have the bonus unlocks, but also want to go blind. Might play the demo skipping cutscenes....
I enjoyed FF7 remake , GoT , and Demon's Souls more than TLOU2 In 2020.
I too skipped SoP yesterday. I Prefer to come fresh.

reziel

Veteran
12 Jun 2023
Kinda makes me wonder how they'll wrap this all up in the third part. Either way I'd be surprised if it doesn't end up winning this time around.

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023

Yes.

Can it win it all? Depends on what surprises drop for the rest of the year or if games that a vague 2024 release window actually make it.

Right now there's only two on the dot 90s games(I don't count TLou Part II Remastered) on OC:

Tekken 8 and LaD 8
The former would never win a GotY unless it's several points ahead of EVERYTHING that year, and that's not happening.
LaD 8 is cool and all, and in a weaker year might get one of the 6 nominations, but it's clearly too low rated to win even in a weak year.

So that means we have to look at future releases to see what sort of opposition this game could potentially have if it gets scored very highly.

In March there's two big releases, Dragon's Dogma 2 and Rise of the Ronin.

I don't think Rise of the Ronin will hit anything over 85-86~ and will possibly be rated much lower.
It seems to be a lower production values open world that is very cookie cutter(AC like) and critics generally don't rate those highly. Dragon's Dogma 2 could see a much stronger rating than its initial 75 for OG release and 81 for Dark Arisen, but it's probably only going to hit a high 80s at the maximum.

In April we've got Stellar Blade, folks here might be excited but that too is probably capped at mid/high 80s.

May? There's Hellblade I guess... :ROFLMAO:

Nothing in June and July(yet)

So we get to August and Black Myth: Wukong
Here too, I don't have any hopes that a studio's first game and a soulslike would get anywhere the score required to win a GotY. It does look cool visually though.

September
I'm sure fan of the Stalkers series and Space Marine are going to be happy with their games, but there's nothing here yet.

Same for November and December.

So really, we have to look at what isn't announced and/or has no solid release date right now.

Chief among them is Hades 2(slated for "2024") the first game got a 94 on OC, that's a strong contender in most years.

Then if Nintendo releases their new console in September, they could have the new 3D Mario game to go along with it.
The last one, Super Mario Odyssey, scored a 97 on OC and generally these games get rated on average with an extremely high score.

Those coming out and being eligible for TGAs 2024 is not a guarantee.
But barring any other unannounced game by some other big publisher like PlayStation, these are the possible two main rivals for the game I foresee for Rebirth.

Airbus

Veteran
30 Jun 2022
I usually dont like the idea of remake become GOTY

But tbh that look amazing gona have to make exception for this one ( look worthy to be goty)

Last edited:

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022

it is absoulty Mind-blowing, my friend, like Scanners, but in a good way.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
If it doesn't have the same issue as FFXVI... yes.

FFXVI was a contender until half of the game... after that it derails and a game with nobody Ultima boss is just well... never mind.... in this point Sephiroth alone has more character development that the whole cast of FFXVI so let's not compare villains here.

Reactions: Entropi

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
pass. And Remakes dont win game of the year.
It is not a remake... don't mistake the name for what it is not... there are three sequels of the original game (actually sequels to Advent Children movie) called Remake (because Sephiroth from the future remake the past), Rebirth (probably related to the rebirth of somebody... again what happened in the past were remade by the Sephiroth) and the last R (not reveled yet).
So it can win.