Final Fantasy Rebirth has GOTY stink all over it

Entropi

Veteran
Icon Extra
22 Jan 2023
Based on the demo, YES. I wasn't expecting SE to go above and beyond Remake, but based on the State of Play info, they went all in on the gameplay and graphics.

• fire
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
Gotta say, looked better than expected. And I'm not talking about graphics.

The first one really dragged out Midgar and felt like a chore at times. I was really worried about the open world aspect. How do we travel? Is it even open world? Any vehicles?

Not only do we get an open world but it's connected, we get all different types of chocobo and we get vehicles.

Last edited:

Polyh3dron

31 Jan 2024
An odd choice of words in the thread title, but yes. The State of Play made the game out to be ambitiously expansive, with a scope very similar to the original Final Fantasy VII when it opens up after leaving Midgar, but with fully realized, modern production values which is something we haven't seen in any RPG-like game. As long as that presentation is being honest about the game's scope, we could easily see this in the GOTY convo come year-end.

I will say though, the menu system is way more janky than VII Remake.

• Shake

Nym

Did you like my Glasses, Snake?
21 Jun 2022
But it's not really a remake

I hate this debate so much, it is a remake it is not the remake you wanted. There is no world in which this does not fall under the definition of remake.

arvfab

Oldest Guard
23 Jun 2022
I hate this debate so much, it is a remake it is not the remake you wanted. There is no world in which this does not fall under the definition of remake.

I prefer this kind of remake, actually. I like the changes to the story, which - for me - are enough to differentiate it from being a "remake". And I also can see why some call it a sequel instead.

And because of the major changes, - for me - it qualifies for GOTY, while I wouldn't have nominated RE4 last year or the SotC Remake (although it's my favorite game ever) the year it released.

Polyh3dron

31 Jan 2024
pass. And Remakes dont win game of the year.
Remake was the previous installment. This is Rebirth.
The "Remake" title was a play on expectations and a double entendre of sorts. It really means to "remake" the events in the past, knowing what will play out in the future already. It's an alternate timeline of evens with these shadowy ghost entities trying to set things back the way they're supposed to be or at least stop things from diverging too much from the original timeline. It's not actually a remake, but something more along the lines of the Neon Genesis Evangelion "Rebuild" feature films.
Pass all you want, you're missing out on a very compelling action RPG and if you don't like combat action games or just have some weird aversion to Remake and Rebirth purely due to them falling under the Final Fantasy brand umbrella, that's your loss. You do care enough to post in a thread about it too, so that's a bit odd.

Mild Conviction

13 Jan 2023
I played the demo, and it is by far the best iteration/retelling of the Nibelheim incident since the original FF7.

Graphically, the character models are insanely good and the environment is packed with detail. I was almost overwhelmed by the amount of flora going up the mountain pass. The combat feels amazing, and we get a small taste of new mechanics that make me feel very optimistic about how they're implemented. Scale management is fantastic, Nibelheim feels much, much larger here than in the original game even though it's still a very small village. The piano minigame feels fantastic.

Cody Christian did an impeccable job as Cloud acting as Zack. If you know, you know.

I can't contain the hype much longer. I know Rebirth is gonna have a hold on me for months after I'm done with it.

Reactions: anonpuffs

Nym

Did you like my Glasses, Snake?
21 Jun 2022
it is more like Reimagine.

it is a remake by definition I don't know why people don't want to acknowledge that just because it isn't a very specific kind of remake they wanted

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
it is a remake by definition I don't know why people don't want to acknowledge that just because it isn't a very specific kind of remake they wanted
yet again, people play it when it was released, and said that, it is not the same game. it is reimagine version of FF7, it is REMADE, not remaked. Remake as this definition was used when game is basically the same, just updated and upgraded graphics with some small quality of life improvements.

i would agree if game would be the same, but it is not. there are new locations, stories, side quests, combat, story, side activities etc..

i am not trying to downplay whatever you say, but just in this particular case i can't agree.

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022

yet again, people play it when it was released, and said that, it is not the same game. it is reimagine version of FF7, it is REMADE, not remaked. Remake as this definition was used when game is basically the same, just updated and upgraded graphics with some small quality of life improvements.

i would agree if game would be the same, but it is not. there are new locations, stories, side quests, combat, story, side activities etc..

i am not trying to downplay whatever you say, but just in this particular case i can't agree.
Just call it a reboot like Resident Evil 2...kind of a remake but not really.

I usually dont like the idea of remake become GOTY

But tbh that look amazing gona have to make exception for this one ( look worthy to be goty)
Yeah I was against RE4 being nominated for GOTY but I would be fine with Rebirth. It's a special game.

Reactions: Airbus

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
But it is not a remake… Square Enix played the role of remake to you have the surprise when playing.

It is a sequel…

Do you think Back from the future 2 to be a remake?

ActualKaktus

5 Feb 2024
Although I’m curious, I grew up with the original and don’t really feel a compelling reason to play the remakes (an unpopular opinion for sure). I prefer to remember it as it was back in 97.

• haha

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
Although I’m curious, I grew up with the original and don’t really feel a compelling reason to play the remakes (an unpopular opinion for sure). I prefer to remember it as it was back in 97.
or, you can cherish the memories you have, no one is taken them away, and take it these imaginations as what they are. not sure, why people puts boundaries like that on themselves.

• they're_right_you_know

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
It's a different game. And a wonderful experience.

Reactions: ActualKaktus

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
Nah, GOTY is oging to be D2D

e671e4a6b024c741837b8f85cc60750ec60a6364.gif