Final Fantasy XVI coming to PC 9.17.24

On Demand

Veteran
Icon Extra
30 Jul 2022
Well it is still a 8/10 game for me.
A good action game with a series of flaws.
A bad final fantasy.

PS. I'm rushing for the platinum right now after take 8 months of hiatus after finish it... the more I play it the more I see it is not a good Final Fantasy game.

You’re opinion is fine. You don’t have to like it.

I’m talking about the obvious trolls saying the game was not a FF game and making up definitions on what a FF game is.

Anything bad to them they could find about FF16 they blew it out of proportion.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Yall really gonna pretend this game was dunked on by pc/xbox/nintendo for being a temporary ps exclusive and not by final fantasy and jrpg fans for being light on rpg mechanics (even by action rpg standards) or not having a controllable party?

Most ff games have been timed ps exclusives the only one particularly widely criticized is XV which was because XV is unfinished and is a large empty open world with nothing in it and really dreadful enemy combat mechanics.

People are excited about this because a subset of people who couldn't play it before will now be able to and by extension be able to form their own opinions on it (i.e. a lot of ff14 fans on particular).

I'm looking forward to this for the above reason, but I'm also nervous about it because I hated XV.

They havent been exclusive since PS2. So thats a whole lot of time.

I know almost every FF entry kinda gets criticised by the former fans. But There was a whole bunch of extra hate with this one. Plenty comments saying, FF16 shouldn’t of been an exclusive, its bad for the industry and so on. So there was undoubtably lots of hate from other platforms.

It was critiqued for things that other FF games have had.

Action combat - FF15 wasn't traditional. Neither was FF11, 12, 14. Even its story was said it had racist elements. The game got shat on from every angle and it tends to happen before every PS exclusive. Literally every game since TLOU2 has had major drama about it, go look at the threads on other forums or social media before the release of a game and the negativity.

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023
Saw this on the store page "The first fully fledged action rpg in mainline final fantasy"
What are FFXV and Lightning Returns then?

Square doesn't considering these to be totally real time action and more of their continued hybrid effortsthey have been trying ever since XII.

You’re opinion is fine. You don’t have to like it.

I’m talking about the obvious trolls saying the game was not a FF game and making up definitions on what a FF game is.

Most of these are not actually trolls, they're just passionate FF fans.
It's like saying "you're not a real K-pop fan, because you're toxic." No they're real, the fact that they're unhinged is actually the reason why they're not trolls but are actually "real fans."

It goes with the territory.

On Demand

Veteran
Icon Extra
30 Jul 2022
Square doesn't considering these to be totally real time action and more of their continued hybrid effortsthey have been trying ever since XII.

It's like saying "you're not a real K-pop fan, because you're toxic." No they're real, the fact that they're unhinged is actually the reason why they're not trolls but are actually "real fans."

I’ve never seen a FF game get the hate FF16 got. From being exclusive to the way the game played. It was crazy.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

TrishaCat

Veteran
17 May 2024

Final Fantasy fans are the embodiment of discourse in that all of them have different opinions on what final fantasy is or should be and all of them have different opinions on what's good or bad. Affectionately, it is a discourse filled fandom.

and I fuel it! I will fight at the frontlines to defend the sanctity of final fantasy 2 when most fans hate it
They havent been exclusive since PS2. So thats a whole lot of time.
It's worth mentioning 7 remake and now 7 rebirth was a timed exclusive and it didn't get nearly the vitriol on the basis of it being a really fun game. Well, mostly - there was a decent chunk of people who dislike it for not being the same as og ff7

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Lightning Returns is a direct sequel to a direct sequel! Does X-2 not count as mainline either?
From my understanding all numbered FFs are considered mainlines.
Everything else with subtitles are spin-offs based in the main one... it add to the main story.

A lot of people don't put 11 and 14 when talks about mainline FFs but they are mainlines.
And any list of mainline FFs you won't see games like Lighting Returns or X-2.

BTW the spin-offs FFs doesn't follow the same formula of mainline FF... it always a different battle system and/or mechanics.

PS. Square Enix only highlight mainline FFs in their site too.

Last edited:

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023
I’ve never seen a FF game get the hate FF16 got. From being exclusive to the way the game played. It was crazy.

That's because we're all online now, and twitter is a toxic cesspool with rampant bots and blue checkmarks farming impressions because Elon Musk is a real human being. Remember, the last mainline FF that isn't a nostalgia remake(although you should see some of the hot take for FF7R) was back in 2016.

But also, never go check some of the old FF forums and gamefaqs and the FF wars that were happening in the 2000s and early 2010s. What I saw for FF16 was REALLY tame. The whole "this isn't a real FF, fuck this shit" has been going on since the 1990s.

SuperPotato

1 Mar 2024
The demo is out already.
From ERA:

Also this from ERA:

Pretty unimpressed by the PC port.

- 30 fps in cutscenes is poorly framepaced and extremely jarring. Lots and lots of these cutscenes.
- 30 fps limit in settings menu actually seems mostly okay, bafflingly.
- No preview images for any graphics settings.
- No way to use FSR3 FG with DLSS SR afaict.
- Still get a minor stutter on first time usage of some effects (e.g. phoenix shift) despite shader comp.
- Big load stutter when transitioning from cutscenes to gameplay, almost every time.
- Everything on low with DLSS ultra performance at 1080p, cannot hit a consistent 60 with incessant traversal stutters.
- DLSS itself seems busted, extremely soft at quality 1080p while other games can manage to make it look at least somewhat decent. Image quality doesn't look much better than PS5 for me.

The usual PC port bs.

And still no Xbox version, lol.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Also this from ERA:

- 30 fps in cutscenes is poorly framepaced and extremely jarring. Lots and lots of these cutscenes.
- Still get a minor stutter on first time usage of some effects (e.g. phoenix shift) despite shader comp.
- Big load stutter when transitioning from cutscenes to gameplay, almost every time.
- Everything on low with DLSS ultra performance at 1080p, cannot hit a consistent 60 with incessant traversal stutters.
- DLSS itself seems busted, extremely soft at quality 1080p while other games can manage to make it look at least somewhat decent. Image quality doesn't look much better than PS5 for me.

The usual PC port bs.

I still don't understand how PCMR praise so much PC power but have to live with shader issues in every single game lol
It is like having a Ferrari with broken suspension lol

SuperPotato

1 Mar 2024
I still don't understand how PCMR praise so much PC power but have to live with shader issues in every single game lol

The Visions Of Mana demo also suffers from shader stutters. PC gaming and shader issues go hand in hand these days but you won't see PCMR dudes mention this of course lol.

Reactions: ethomaz

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Blame Sony/SIE for not balking back against the narrative. Like, at all.

I do. I do wonder why they dont say anything compared to the shit Phil talks on competitors and his take on the gaming industry lol.
It would be really easy to show how bias it all is. But Sony literally say nothing.
Think they are above it? Scared of a legal battle? What do you think? Cause I have no idea.

Wishful thinking but maybe they are waiting it out? Basically till Xbox basically disappears because they know how incompetent Xbox really is? With no Xbox in the race, those shills aint gonna be acting the same.

And yes I agree with your take on PC ports

Entropi

Veteran
Icon Extra
22 Jan 2023
Also this from ERA:

The usual PC port bs.

They should just get a PS5 🤷🏽‍♂️

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
It's funny knowing a lot of their rigs cost well over $3000. PCs have rarely been good for newer games, just great at running old ones at the highest setting.

• haha
Reactions: Cool hand luke

On Demand

Veteran
Icon Extra
30 Jul 2022
That's because we're all online now, and twitter is a toxic cesspool with rampant bots and blue checkmarks farming impressions because Elon Musk is a real human being. Remember, the last mainline FF that isn't a nostalgia remake(although you should see some of the hot take for FF7R) was back in 2016.

But also, never go check some of the old FF forums and gamefaqs and the FF wars that were happening in the 2000s and early 2010s. What I saw for FF16 was REALLY tame. The whole "this isn't a real FF, fuck this shit" has been going on since the 1990s.

FF15 got a lot of hateful discourse but it was sort of justified seeing the development hell the game was in. There was serous genuine issues with that game.

The game is good. I liked it and put over 100 hours into it. But the development troubles shows.

SuperPotato

1 Mar 2024
lmao i was initially a bit pissed that it was $50 on PC when I paid $90 on PS5. Then I saw that the pc port sucks. PS5 stays winning, just gotta get that PS5 pro

It's funny knowing a lot of their rigs cost well over $3000. PCs have rarely been good for newer games, just great at running old ones at the highest setting.

Pretty much everyone says the game looks blurry, even when running at much higher resolutions than the PS5 version. One guy compared it to FF7 Rebirth performance mode.

So yeah, just another bad PC port.