Final Fantasy XVI is a timed exclusive but other Titles May Never Make It to Xbox, as Sony Exclusivity Is Going to Get Much Worse according to insider

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
Why? They have a ton of IP.
I think Sony should pick up individual studios, makes for a cleaner merger. I'd say Sony should invest in CBU1 and CBU3 and keep them exclusive. But the whole company seems like waaaay too much baggage. Plus they kill the Nintendo side which I don't think is very smart.

Edmund

25 Apr 2023
SquareEnix played off their long-standing business relationship with PlayStation, something they should do, but it’s as anti-consumer as any exclusivity deal on a previously multiplatform game.

My thing is some ppl act like massive crybabies at the mere idea of Xbox blocking their games moving forward and we’re not even at that point yet.

Change your display pic to Master Chief. We don't need a fake PS fan with an Ellie display pic here. You're not fooling anyone.

On Demand

Veteran
30 Jul 2022
I think Sony should pick up individual studios, makes for a cleaner merger. I'd say Sony should invest in CBU1 and CBU3 and keep them exclusive. But the whole company seems like waaaay too much baggage. Plus they kill the Nintendo side which I don't think is very smart.

Square Enix also has other segments that can benefit Sony too. The gaming side baggage was already cut by getting rid of the western divisions. Which to me would of made them even more worth it since I’d love to see another Tomb Raider game with Sony’s management.

Nintendo isn’t exactly selling millions of Square Enix games. The only exception is Dragon Quest and I’m sure Sony would leave that alone. If not and they make everything exclusive, big deal. Majority of SE revenue comes from their AAA games which Nintendo doesn’t get anyway.

janneverjaar

27 Jun 2023
My thing is some ppl act like massive crybabies at the mere idea of Xbox blocking their games moving forward and we’re not even at that point yet.
The reality is Microsoft bought up third-party publishers and canceled multi-platform games because they were unwilling to take the time and effort to bolster and support their studios. Not only that, they lied about their intentions from the get-go ("This deal was not done to take games away from another player base like that," Spencer said. "Nowhere in the documentation that we put together was: 'How do we keep other players from playing these games?' We want more people to be able to play games, not fewer people to be able to go play games.").

Peter Hines was even shocked about the fact that they had to cancel all their PS games that were in development. He was even more shocked that Call of Duty was allowed to stay multiplatform. The reality is they still have sales targets, they still have a budget to make, and they are not giving them free passes, why else do you think Peter Hines would even remotely speak up about it?

And Xbox had third-party exclusives, it just was not what their fanbase wanted. For example, The Medium, Team Bloober was in discussion with MS to be acquired, the reason it fell through was TB refused to cancel Silent Hill 2.

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
For example, The Medium, Team Bloober was in discussion with MS to be acquired, the reason it fell through was TB refused to cancel Silent Hill 2.
Is this new info?

I missed that and I was in the Activision and FTC leak threads a lot.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Oh Jimbo, you naughty boy!

Not sure why Sony did this if true, Goodbye Volcano High was enough to beat Starfield. 🤡

• haha
Reactions: Entropi

janneverjaar

27 Jun 2023
Is this new info?

No, they spoke about it in an interview (I am trying to find the interview but it was written in Polish), but they expressly said that they were in negotiations with a platform holder (did not expressly say MS), but that it feel through because they were unwilling to cancel an exclusive. This was before Silent Hill 2 was announced.

janneverjaar

27 Jun 2023
Is this new info?

Here is one article about it, https://www.bankier.pl/wiadomosc/Bl...-branzy-nie-rozwaza-emisji-akcji-8083241.html. Revealing there were five possibilities.

"The company has decided not to continue talks with potential financial and industry investors interested in taking over a majority stake in the company due to the high risk of losing its overarching strategic goals. At the current stage, this would be inconsistent with the culture of the organization and would significantly limit the potential for increasing the company's value. in the coming years, especially taking into account the projects implemented and planned by it," the press release reads.

I am still searching for the other article, but it was an interview with an employee who bluntly stated they were going to be acquired, but the deal fell through because they were unwilling to junk their hard work. He was a bit more blunt stating that they needed to cancel an exclusive.

Plextorage

Veteran
26 Feb 2023
Good. I dunno why Xbots are whining about it. Stick with Bethesda and ABK.

We have yet to see what MS will do with their newly acquired IP, so there’s nothing really to critique them on…yet.

Sony buying favor with SquareEnix and keeping FF off Xbox is the same exclusionary bs ppl claim to be against. Show some good faith and call it out on both ends.

So, exclusive FF7 and FF16, 2 IPs are totally equal to acquiring big 3rd party publisher, all of their IP library and blocking it from other platforms. Yes, totally equal. :/

Nimrota

Veteran
11 Jul 2023
I’m interested in learning because I did not know that. It changes how I look at the deal.
"Naoki Yoshida, producer for Final Fantasy 16, has provided some details on why the game will be a timed PS5 exclusive for at least six months. Essentially, it boils down to Sony having provided “generous support” for FF16, particularly in terms of technical side and its ability to market the game moving forward...
He says:
This time, there was a portion where we were developing together with SIE engineers who know the hardware thoroughly down to the core and we received generous support in optimization that we could not manage on our own and so on.
Additionally, Yoshida says that Sony will help in doing “promotions together globally.” Also, not having to make Final Fantasy 16 for multiple platforms at launch means that Square Enix could “invest more man-hours into things such as building the game and optimization.” Having both technical and promotional support was a big factor in deciding to make FF16 a timed PS5 exclusive."

Source.

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
It's the least they can do after managing to lose out on Persona to Xbox of all things.

I hope it's true, I need Sony to be a menace and aggressive once again. They should have never eased up and tried to play nice.

Time to show up at Capcom too and show them these platform sales splits ratios when cutting deals.

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
If Sony needs to overpay to outbid MS, Google, or Amazon, then hell no.
Again this bid fairy tale? This is not how M&A works in Japan. In Japan they have their own standard and set of rules. They are not like western companies by going with the highest offer like a whore.
If Sony wants to buy Square Enix, then nobody will stop them. When will you guys understand hostile takeovers are strongly prohibited in Japan?

• haha
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

KnittedKnight

Gaming Sage
Icon Extra
13 Jul 2022
How is this thread 4 pages when there is literally nothing there except hot air.

Thread should have the rumor tag at the very least considering the source is some random on some forum who is purposefully vague so as to aggrandize himself on the bs. This is literally the mo for all wannabe "leakers" looking for clout - every time.

Rumor: "KnittedKnight said y'all are fucking stupid - better believe it!" - Source: TMB.

Entropi

Veteran
Icon Extra
22 Jan 2023
Again this bid fairy tale? This is not how M&A works in Japan. In Japan they have their own standard and set of rules. They are not like western companies by going with the highest offer like a whore.
If Sony wants to buy Square Enix, then nobody will stop them. When will you guys understand hostile takeovers are strongly prohibited in Japan?

Well, that's a good thing then.

Plextorage

Veteran
26 Feb 2023
How is this thread 4 pages when there is literally nothing there except hot air.

Thread should have the rumor tag at the very least considering the source is some random on some forum who is purposefully vague so as to aggrandize himself on the bs. This is literally the mo for all wannabe "leakers" looking for clout - every time.

Rumor: "KnittedKnight said y'all are fucking stupid - better believe it!" - Source: TMB.

Screenshot_20231212-073234.png