Former Director Of Business Square Enix Jacob Navok: “Let's be clear- I am not suggesting Xbox sales by themselves can radically change the numbers.”

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
Former Director Of Business Square Enix Jacob Navok:

"PlayStation has a huge line-up of titles. And many upcoming, highly anticipated first party titles. They are great titles, of which the FF series is now one of many high quality titles that Sony promotes."

"This is why Kiryu's first decision was to bring back Xbox support. Let's be clear- I am not suggesting Xbox sales by themselves can radically change the numbers. We know how the series has sold on Xbox traditionally."

"Rather, the point is that you need multiple platforms promoting, pushing your product and incentivized toward its success."

"An FF title having its latest gameplay revealed in another State of Play doesn't expand the audience. But Xbox putting out billboards for your title in Times Square can drive more awareness (even if it probably leads to sales on PlayStation rather than Xbox, this is still good for SQEX.)"

OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
This just strengthens my thinking that Sony will acquire them in 2024.
That’s a no brainer for Sony.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Having first dibs on final fantasy makes your platform more appealing.
Sure, but having final fantasy on gamepass later makes it less appealing, and I guarantee you that PoS Spencer will require it as a precondition for advertising.

I'm already not buying future Persona games day one because of the gamepass thing - after all, why would I? Don't make me rethink my day one purchases of final fantasy too.

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
Sure, but having final fantasy on gamepass later makes it less appealing, and I guarantee you that PoS Spencer will require it as a precondition for advertising.

I'm already not buying future Persona games day one because of the gamepass thing - after all, why would I? Don't make me rethink my day one purchases of final fantasy too.
I'm not convinced Gamepass will be enough to make the majority of people leave the PlayStation ecosystem.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Eternal_Wings

Puff

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
"Rather, the point is that you need multiple platforms promoting, pushing your product and incentivized toward its success."
"An FF title having its latest gameplay revealed in another State of Play doesn't expand the audience. But Xbox putting out billboards for your title in Times Square can drive more awareness (even if it probably leads to sales on PlayStation rather than Xbox, this is still good for SQEX.)"

it means that Sony wont get exclusive games for square

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
it means that Sony wont get exclusive games for square
Not necessarily, nowhere in that statement does it say that they won't ever do deals with PlayStation again. It does imply that they likely won't sell to Microsoft though which I care about more. Take a break from the doomposting and depression posting for a day.

• they're_right_you_know

Nimrota

Veteran
11 Jul 2023
How is it bad for Playstation? He's basically saying their games don't sell well on Xbox and that they rely on Playstation for the bulk of console sales.
Seems bad because PS fans might realise "Hey I'm the one actually paying for these games and supporting the developers with sales, while Xbox players get the game for free and it's marketed at Xbox." At the end of the day you're a nice little chump stumping up your money to Square Enix while they nickle and dime Xbox for their own profit. This is how I feel about being a Yakuza fan for over a decade and having them do an about turn to slobber all over Xbox. Why should I buy their product if they're going to focus on Xbox? What do I get out of this at all?

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
Seems bad because PS fans might realise "Hey I'm the one actually paying for these games and supporting the developers with sales, while Xbox players get the game for free and it's marketed at Xbox." At the end of the day you're a nice little chump stumping up your money to Square Enix while they nickle and dime Xbox for their own profit. This is how I feel about being a Yakuza fan for over a decade and having them do an about turn to slobber all over Xbox. Why should I buy their product if they're going to focus on Xbox? What do I get out of this at all?
There's a lot of downsides to Gamepass versus actually owning the game. DRM and the fact that it can be removed from the service for one. I guess it just depends on perspective. This news also implies to me that they aren't likely to sell to MS and become exclusive to them.

27 Jun 2023
United kingdom
Former Director Of Business Square Enix Jacob Navok:

"PlayStation has a huge line-up of titles. And many upcoming, highly anticipated first party titles. They are great titles, of which the FF series is now one of many high quality titles that Sony promotes."

"This is why Kiryu's first decision was to bring back Xbox support. Let's be clear- I am not suggesting Xbox sales by themselves can radically change the numbers. We know how the series has sold on Xbox traditionally."

You mean like Sony was heavily investing in promoting the series since ps1 hence why it's still a popular franchise today where as Xbox Microsoft have contributed sweet FA to the franchise yet crys that big bad Sony gets exclusives from it

Nimrota

Veteran
11 Jul 2023
There's a lot of downsides to Gamepass versus actually owning the game. DRM and the fact that it can be removed from the service for one. I guess it just depends on perspective. This news also implies to me that they aren't likely to sell to MS and become exclusive to them.
It simply cheapens your experience to know someone else got it for free. You buy a nice pair of shoes for $100 and your neighbour says "Oh yeah I got the same pair for $20." There is a psychological element at play here. If Sony fans had any dignity they wouldn't stump up to be some Square paypig, hence why Sony should buy Square so their fans aren't mistreated.

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
It simply cheapens your experience to know someone else got it for free. You buy a nice pair of shoes for $100 and your neighbour says "Oh yeah I got the same pair for $20." There is a psychological element at play here. If Sony fans had any dignity they wouldn't stump up to be some Square paypig, hence why Sony should buy Square so their fans aren't mistreated.
That's not a really good comparison imo. The other guy has to keep paying monthly or he loses his shoes. He also can't trade or sell his shoes. I think you guys may be overselling the impact Gamepass will have on PlayStation.

That's just me personally though. I couldn't care less what that service gets as long as I still get the games I want on my preferred platform. I'm not interested in interpreting everything as a devastating catastrophe.