Former Director Of Business Square Enix Jacob Navok: “Let's be clear- I am not suggesting Xbox sales by themselves can radically change the numbers.”

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Besides Elden Ring and Hogwarts, what games sold more than GOW Ragnarok, Horizon and Zelda?

Other than Sports game and COD, I can't think of many. There are dozens of multiplat coming out every month. They should all sell more according to you and the ex-Square.

It's weird how releasing on Xbox is supposed to be the recipe for success for publishers but it's always the lowest selling sku. It doesn't match.
It isn't me or the ex-Square guy, it's the reality: yes, there are dozens of multiplat every month, most top seller games every month are multiplat and most of the total game sales in gaming are from multiplat games.

There are games like GTA, Minecraft, Cyberpunk, Dying Light 2, Jedi Fallen Order, Lego, Assassins Creed, Far Cry, The Division 2, Rainbow 6 Siege, Destiny, Mortal Kombat, The Witcher III, and a very long etc. that you'll see frequently in best selling rankings.

And yes, if you release your game in more platforms you have a bigger user reach, so you'll sell more total units specially if the other platform holder supports the marketing of your game. It's basic maths.

This is the reason of why most 3rd parties started to move to multiplatform as costs kept rising, and in recent times we even saw the three console makers publish games outside their own platforms. Companies want to grow their revenue, something it's mandatory in AAA because every gen they get more and more expensive to make and market.

• haha
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
It's basically the same situation with Sega. Use PS to fund projects and then give them out to Xbox as part of some marketing deal. Looks like SE is another one to avoid. Very well.

And Sony's just sitting there, not acquiring anything.

Swolf712

Veteran
29 Jun 2022
Wisconsin, USA
It's basically the same situation with Sega. Use PS to fund projects and then give them out to Xbox as part of some marketing deal. Looks like SE is another one to avoid. Very well.

And Sony's just sitting there, not acquiring anything.
What do they gain by acquiring them?

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
I think the problem originates from SIE. They are spending alot of money on GaaS that they are not signing 3rd party deals.

• thinking_hard
Reactions: Swolf712

Swolf712

Veteran
29 Jun 2022
Wisconsin, USA
I think the problem originates from SIE. They are spending alot of money on GaaS that they are not signing 3rd party deals.
I think you've completely missed the forest for the trees on this one, friend.

Former Square exec is trying to claim that SIE's third party deals are the problem for them. Using rather strange logic to do so.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: KiryuRealty

reziel

Veteran
12 Jun 2023
I think you've completely missed the forest for the trees on this one, friend.

Former Square exec is trying to claim that SIE's third party deals are the problem for them. Using rather strange logic to do so.
Which Square has every legal right to not accept but choose to do so. There's a reason why the guy is a former executive and not a current executive.

Reactions: Dabaus

Swolf712

Veteran
29 Jun 2022
Wisconsin, USA
Which Square has every legal right to not accept but choose to do so. There's a reason why the guy is a former executive and not a current executive.
The thing that gets me in his thread is how he claims they "brought back" Xbox support, like...

Fam? They've been supporting Xbox? Several RPGs have been plopped on there to die? And you admit the games don't sell there?

It's so bizarre.

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
What do they gain by acquiring them?
Security, just like every other publisher. People often say "no need to buy SE, they have a good relationship with them". They have a good relationship until money enters the chat. MS throws them enough money and the next FF doesn't come to PS. There's no loyalty in business, money talks.

And we've seen this before. Namco took MS' money and made Ace Combat 6 exclusive, after a decade of supporting PS. And I'm still pissed about that.

Reactions: Would_you_kindly

Swolf712

Veteran
29 Jun 2022
Wisconsin, USA
Security, just like every other publisher. People often say "no need to buy SE, they have a good relationship with them". They have a good relationship until money enters the chat. MS throws them enough money and the next FF doesn't come to PS. There's no loyalty in business, money talks.

And we've seen this before. Namco took MS' money and made Ace Combat 6 exclusive, after a decade of supporting PS. And I'm still pissed about that.
So they would get games they'd already normally get but potentially not have to worry about other companies playing the exclusivity deal game?

Kinda sounds like Xbox fan talking points there.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: KiryuRealty

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
So they would get games they'd already normally get but potentially not have to worry about other companies playing the exclusivity deal game?

Kinda sounds like Xbox fan talking points there.
It's a fact. Like it or not, that's the industry we're now a part of.

By that logic, in order to not appear as idiotic as an Xbox fan, we should just all be happy Sony isn't doing what the big bad MS is.

Except, you've already lost access to over a dozen of IPs that have been on PS for decades. This isn't the same industry from 10 years ago. We're now living through a MASSIVE industry consolidation. Should we all be happy Sony's not doing anything just to have some sort of an imaginary moral high ground?

I don't care what games come to Xbox. I care about what games come to PS. If MS pays for a port of FF 16, more power to them. But that's not how MS operates. Once they buy into a company, you're not getting anything outside of their system. Just ask Sega and the PS5 version of LAD. Or Persona remasters.

I'm sure most of us here would be happy if MS decided to spend 80 billion on their own studios and IPs. Unfortunately, they decided to try and monopolize the industry. So appearing to not care about it to prove some moral high ground is a ridiculous argument.

I own a Series X. I have access to all these games. But I don't want to be railroaded into a system with franchises that have been accessible to multiple platform for decades. And the only way to prevent IP loss is to invest in publishers. It's what MS turned the industry into now.

Last edited:

On Demand

Veteran
30 Jul 2022
Just want to post this to make people realize Square Enix has been supporting Xbox with some games. Let’s not let another fake narrative fly and let the media and green rats give that snake oil used car salesmen Phil Spencer any props for any SE game that might get an Xbox version

It’s not Square Enix’s fault their games don’t sell on Xbox.

Evilms

Graph Master
21 Jun 2022

"I also frankly like it when those games ship on other platforms, not every team can from a focus standpoint, because then they can really use the community feature of Game pass to sell more copies on Steam, or sell more copies on PlayStation."

"There's a benefit for them being in Game Pass, it's part of their marketing."

full.png