Former Director Of Business Square Enix Jacob Navok: “Let's be clear- I am not suggesting Xbox sales by themselves can radically change the numbers.”

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
I mean the idea that Square should go running to Xbox is laughable. How did Xbox help them with sales of Octopath traveler? How did Xbox help them with sales of Outriders? Diofield Chronicle?

The answer is it did absolutely nothing for them. Square simply needs to make better games, and they'll sell regardless of exclusivity.

24 Jun 2022
Seems bad because PS fans might realise "Hey I'm the one actually paying for these games and supporting the developers with sales, while Xbox players get the game for free and it's marketed at Xbox." At the end of the day you're a nice little chump stumping up your money to Square Enix while they nickle and dime Xbox for their own profit. This is how I feel about being a Yakuza fan for over a decade and having them do an about turn to slobber all over Xbox. Why should I buy their product if they're going to focus on Xbox? What do I get out of this at all?

Yeah was about to mention this.

More ip to Xbox equals less point of difference on PS. That's the truth off it, Ryan better be spinning up those 1st parties with some amazing shit.

Basically. Knowing these were the kind of games you could only get on PlayStation added to the market appeal of the product over competitors. If that's no longer going to be the case, fine. But at least have the common sense to fill in the void with 1P content of your own.

IIRC Sony owns the Wild Arms IP rights. They also have Legend of Dragoon, Okage (I think), Dark Cloud, Rogue Galaxy, Legaia, White Knight Chronicles etc. Bring one or two of those back, partner up with or even acquire Level 5, Vanillaware etc. and make some 1P magic happen with those games. That way PS still has some exclusive games in that JRPG space if things like Persona and Final Fantasy become increasingly multi-platform.

Hell, Microsoft's trying to take that strategy with Tango's rumored JRPG; imagine the slap-in-the-face it'd be if Sony not only let stuff like FF go multiplat but then also have no 1P replacements. It'd be as disastrous as (or even worst than) Microsoft letting Xbox lose any unique identity with fighting games in the XBO generation.

Last edited:

ChorizoPicozo

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
I mean the idea that Square should go running to Xbox is laughable. How did Xbox help them with sales of Octopath traveler? How did Xbox help them with sales of Outriders? Diofield Chronicle?

The answer is it did absolutely nothing for them. Square simply needs to make better games, and they'll sell regardless of exclusivity.
The premise is this:

SE (as a publisher with iconic IPs) has to bring their games to Xbox and continue to takes risks.

why? According to Jacob Navok. is because they (SE) is at the mercy of the platform holder (Play Station) to sell the game. For sony is more important to sell the console rather than sell the game: The principal-agent problem.

So, it's not about selling more or increasing sales substantially (on Xbox). It's about having the freedom for Xbox to promote the game in their platform.

it seems to me this dude is clueless.

Airbus

Veteran
30 Jun 2022
Noice Thats Nice GIF

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
The premise is this:

SE (as a publisher with iconic IPs) has to bring their games to Xbox and continue to takes risks.

why? According to Jacob Navok. is because they (SE) is at the mercy of the platform holder (Play Station) to sell the game. For sony is more important to sell the console rather than sell the game: The principal-agent problem.

So, it's not about selling more or increasing sales substantially (on Xbox). It's about having the freedom for Xbox to promote the game in their platform.

it seems to me this dude is clueless.
Okay, so? You can't tell me Sony didn't market the fuck out of FF16. If this is about FF16 not selling enough, the problem is because this year was full of bangers, and FF16 simply wasn't good enough to carry past launch sales on word-of-mouth.

What exactly is Xbox going to do for Square game marketing? You'd have more luck partnering with Nintendo. Simply put, this has nothing to do with the advantages of Xbox marketing, and all to do with Square being hard up for cash. And they're looking in the wrong place. They are going to the payday lender for help with their mortgage. That never ends well.

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Yes, to sell a game in more platforms and to get marketing from more places make the game sell more. Specially in the best selling platform.
Besides Elden Ring and Hogwarts, what games sold more than GOW Ragnarok, Horizon and Zelda?

Other than Sports game and COD, I can't think of many. There are dozens of multiplat coming out every month. They should all sell more according to you and the ex-Square.

It's weird how releasing on Xbox is supposed to be the recipe for success for publishers but it's always the lowest selling sku. It doesn't match.

ChorizoPicozo

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
Okay, so? You can't tell me Sony didn't market the fuck out of FF16. If this is about FF16 not selling enough, the problem is because this year was full of bangers, and FF16 simply wasn't good enough to carry past launch sales on word-of-mouth.

What exactly is Xbox going to do for Square game marketing? You'd have more luck partnering with Nintendo. Simply put, this has nothing to do with the advantages of Xbox marketing, and all to do with Square being hard up for cash. And they're looking in the wrong place. They are going to the payday lender for help with their mortgage. That never ends well.
that is what this dude said.

and that's is why i said he is clueless.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Besides Elden Ring and Hogwarts, what games sold more than GOW Ragnarok, Horizon and Zelda?

Other than Sports game and COD, I can't think of many. There are dozens of multiplat coming out every month. They should all sell more according to you and the ex-Square.

It's weird how releasing on Xbox is supposed to be the recipe for success for publishers but it's always the lowest selling sku. It doesn't match.
We all know that Xbox influencers and paid media go out of their way to shit on Sony exclusives. That's not an excuse to run to Xbox for $. Sony also needs to do a better job providing cover for their partners from those kinds of attacks. I think there should be an attempt made for Sony and Nintendo to form an alliance in which Sony and Nintendo do joint marketing. 6 months exclusivity on PS5, then a port arrives on Switch 2 and PC 6 months-1 year later.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Maybe the hate from media and opposing fans make it an uphill battle if you release exclusively on PS.

They must feel the effects of what we see online from twats who FUD on every PS exclusive

Last edited:
Reactions: Would_you_kindly