Former Director Of Business Square Enix Jacob Navok: “Let's be clear- I am not suggesting Xbox sales by themselves can radically change the numbers.”

Nimrota

Veteran
11 Jul 2023
That's not a really good comparison imo. The other guy has to keep paying monthly or he loses his shoes. He also can't trade or sell his shoes. I think you guys may be overselling the impact Gamepass will have on PlayStation.

That's just me personally though. I couldn't care less what that service gets as long as I still get the games I want on my preferred platform. I'm not interested in interpreting everything as a devastating catastrophe.
It's not just about GP though that's just part of the problem. Read what is being said by OP. Games are being marketed towards Xbox, then Playstation fans expected to go out and buy it due to Xbox marketing. That seems to be the business model: scrape as much money from Xbox as possible and expect PS players to continue buying despite giving them nothing.

It's like your wife telling you she's only "chatting" to other men and nothing is going on between them, she's just making you jealous! Just keep giving her money though, because she's really actually into you and tricking the other guy! If he stops paying her he'll revoke his access, oh, wait...

Last edited:

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
It's not just about GP though that's just part of the problem. Read what is being said by OP. Games are being marketed towards Xbox, then Playstation fans expected to go out and buy it due to Xbox marketing. That's Square's business model: scrape as much money from Xbox as possible and expect PS players to continue buying despite giving them nothing.

It's like your wife telling you she's only "chatting" to other men and nothing is going on between them, she's just making you jealous! Just keep giving her money though, because she's really actually into you and tricking the other guy! If he stops paying her he'll revoke his access, oh, wait...
IMO, your take on this is way off from the reality, lol. I'm just not convinced this is bad news or that the doomsday theories are reality.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
For me it's simple: putting your game on gamepass decreases sales. Even Microsoft says it. At the end of the day, you're sabotaging yourself and the franchise's future for a quick buck up front, which costs more long-term. It damages the health of the games, eventually they stop getting as much budget, care, and attention to them. Plus developing for a single system makes the game's quality higher. If Square is that desperate for money they need to be asking for a buyout from Sony.

Nimrota

Veteran
11 Jul 2023
IMO, your take on this is way off from the reality, lol. I'm just not convinced this is bad news or that the doomsday theories are reality.
Well it is my reality. I'm a long time Yakuza fan and then with 7 they said "sorry, next gen is Xbox exclusive." Cheers, thanks for that. But sure, let me chump up $70 (are they $70 yet?) to buy Like a Dragon Infinite Wealth Day 1 while Xbox players get it for free. I'm not sure how anyone with dignity thinks this is a positive arrangement for Playstation at all? They roll out the rug for Xbox, you pay full price and get nothing extra, what is the point of being a Square, Sega, etc customer on PS if this is the arrangement?

Last edited:

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
Well it is my reality. I'm a long time Yakuza fan and then with 7 they said "sorry, next gen is Xbox exclusive." Cheers, thanks for that Square. But sure, let me chump up $70 (are they $70 yet?) to buy Like a Dragon Infinite Wealth Day 1 while Xbox players get it for free. I'm not sure how anyone with dignity thinks this is a positive arrangement for Playstation at all? They roll out the rug for Xbox, you pay full price and get nothing extra, what is the point of being a Square customer on PS if this is the arrangement?
Seems like you guys just look for reasons to have meltdowns and be miserable. If you view Gamepass and the lack over ownership as preferential treatment, go ahead. I'm just laughing at the Xbox fanboys on twitter who are angry about Square saying Xbox people don't buy games and realizing that they likely aren't selling to MS. Continue putting words in my mouth though. I have no interest in arguing over a non-issue like this. This forum has enough of that going on and is getting worse for it.

• sad
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Nimrota

Veteran
11 Jul 2023
Seems like you guys just look for reasons to have meltdowns and be miserable. If you view Gamepass and the lack over ownership as preferential treatment, go ahead. I'm just laughing at the Xbox fanboys on twitter who are angry about Square saying Xbox people don't buy games and realizing that they likely aren't selling to MS. Continue putting words in my mouth though. I have no interest in arguing over a non-issue like this. This forum has enough of that going on and is getting worse for it.
I'm not having a meltdown nor being miserable. I'm pointing out exactly what is going on. As I already said it is not just about Game Pass as the OP talks about other factors such as marketing. TGS is a good example of this. I agree they're not selling to Microsoft, but the point is they're free to exploit Xbox all they want because at the end of the day PS players fork over their money regardless of how they're treated. You can be a decade long Yakuza fan, but the next-gen version of a game you want is Xbox exclusive? Do you see what I mean?

I don't know what words I've allegedly put in your mouth, my entire point has been there is a psychological impact that happens with SE giving preferential treatment to Xbox in many ways despite them not giving anywhere near the money Sony fans do. All I ask is if >80% of your revenue comes from Sony, you start acting like it and doing better for those people. I don't think that is a big ask.

Last edited:

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
Simply sounds like they are extorting Xbox. You better pay for marketing since your sales won't make a dent.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
How come so?
Did you give the text a read?
It’s devastating what he said about Xbox.
If those recent Nintendo specs rumors arectrue (big if, of course) then they'll have some huge high def gaming competition in Japan in about a year.

OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
If those recent Nintendo specs rumors arectrue (big if, of corse) then they'll have some huge high def gaming competition in Japan in about a year.
Nah this was already debunked as a fanboy’s fantasy. The specs will be close to Standard PS4 (not Pro).

reziel

Veteran
12 Jun 2023
Well it is my reality. I'm a long time Yakuza fan and then with 7 they said "sorry, next gen is Xbox exclusive." Cheers, thanks for that Square. But sure, let me chump up $70 (are they $70 yet?) to buy Like a Dragon Infinite Wealth Day 1 while Xbox players get it for free. I'm not sure how anyone with dignity thinks this is a positive arrangement for Playstation at all? They roll out the rug for Xbox, you pay full price and get nothing extra, what is the point of being a Square customer on PS if this is the arrangement?
Comparing a cheap franchise from a bottom barrel company to Square is a terrible example. All of the Yakuza games reuse 90% of the assets from the 1st one. Sega is terrible with their money not to mention the quality of their games are significantly lower then the other competitors. Their main money makers are resorts and pachinko for crying out loud. Besides even if Square did put games on gamepass they are not going to be their main moneymaker. They know full well that to get good funding to continue growth is to sell their titles with quality not quantity hence why Nintendo and Playstation get top dibs gamepass will not improve their quality.

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
It didn't work for Sega.

Persona and Yakuza used to be an event but with Xbox marketing they are getting no hype, no views and low sales. They are now synonymous with bargain bins games and shovelware.

I agree with Nimrota and others who stop buying Sega games at full price. They shit them out too fast anyway.

Nimrota

Veteran
11 Jul 2023
Comparing a cheap franchise from a bottom barrel company to Square is a terrible example. All of the Yakuza games reuse 90% of the assets from the 1st one. Sega is terrible with their money not to mention the quality of their games are significantly lower then the other competitors. Their main money makers are resorts and pachinko for crying out loud. Besides even if Square did put games on gamepass they are not going to be their main moneymaker. They know full well that to get good funding to continue growth is to sell their titles with quality not quantity hence why Nintendo and Playstation get top dibs gamepass will not improve their quality.
Hey man, I like Yakuza thank you very much! I agree there are many elements to it, I just wanted to highlight that there is a psychological element that comes into play. Companies like Sega, Square, etc, should be wary, and as a fan you should care about how these companies treat you as a customer regardless of the strengths or weaknesses of their product.

OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
Hey man, I like Yakuza thank you very much! I agree there are many elements to it, I just wanted to highlight that there is a psychological element that comes into play. Companies like Sega, Square, etc, should be wary, and as a fan you should care about how these companies treat you as a customer regardless of the strengths or weaknesses of their product.
As long Persona, Yakuza will continue to be strong on PS, they won’t bother to put the games on GP. Because Sega knows these franchises would sell only a couple of thousands copies. Meanwhile the sales are carried by PlayStation in million numbers. They took the opportunity to gain some bonus with the extra money from Microsoft. As long PS people don’t boycott Sega, this won’t sadly change…

On Demand

Veteran
30 Jul 2022
What does the former director of business know about Square Enix plans? Where are these comments from and when? Nothing he said looks like SE support for XB will change drastically besides the usual AA games. Also XB has already been getting SE games. It got almost every single game the last year like FF Strangers of Paradise and Diofield Chronicles.

The new president didn’t bring back any Xbox support. MS went to Japan begging for AAA ports.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Yes, to sell a game in more platforms and to get marketing from more places make the game sell more. Specially in the best selling platform.