Former PlayStation head says we need to "get this platform war thing out of the way" and "get down to one standard home console"

Evil Aloy

3 May 2024
Yoshida loves consoles too.

100%, I didn't mention him because he's a software guy. I want these kinds of guys in charge of Playstation, people really passionate about the console and its games. Hulst seems more passionate about his next vacation than actually leading the brand.

• Shake
Reactions: 2spooky5me

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Xbox is dying and Nintendo mostly moved to portables, so in some years there should be only one home console brand as he says: PlayStation.

Combining the sales of all home consoles and removing the user overlap between them there was almost 200M users in the PS2 generation, and around 250M in the PS3 and PS4 (if counting Switch as home console of that generation) generations.

By "one console future" they mean the pc, they just aren't saying it openly because they know people will give them shit for it.
Eventually there may be only a home console left, PS. And console, PC and mobile are in a trend of slowly being merged in a single global market too.

In fact, PS4, PS5, XBO, X|S or Steamdeck are essentially PCs in terms of hardware, and Switch/PS Player essentially have a smartphone/table hardware. Mobile and PC hardware are slowly merging too.

For them, in terms of business, with AAA budgets highly growing every generation these 200-250M users of the console market at some point won't be enough, this is why all big publishers are expanding to console + PC + mobile.

Yoshida loves consoles too.
Yes, and he and Shawn started the current PC + GaaS push in the Sony 1st party games. But to be fair, anyone seeing the market numbers, how the budgets grow every generation and evolution of the market would have done the same.

Because the alternative would be to gradually stop making AAA games starting by cutting the lower seller games.

Yoshida is passionate about indies, so he moved to create and lead PlayStation Indies, where he is very happy.

Last edited:
  • sad
Reactions: Evil Aloy

Evilms

Graph Master
21 Jun 2022
GP0CXEUW8AATSrf

GP0I-oJWwAAY_c7

GP0I-mtW0AEAz2W

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
He’s trying to wash out the console war stain he idiotically spilt on himself.

Danja1187

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
It’s not that he wasn’t good. It’s just that some on Icon Era likes to treat him like he was a messiah. Many people here blow him, while treating Jim Ryan like he was some devil.
I don't see people here treating Shawn like a Messiah but I could have missed that lol. I don't think he's as bad as many here in this thread are saying but who knows?

Jim Ryan was the devil 🤔

• thinking_hard
Reactions: 2spooky5me

Petekilla

Veteran
16 Jun 2023
Only to have Jim & Herman further release more ten pole games to PC while also releasing a key franchise from PS from a PS studio to there direct competitor Nintendo.
Nintendo is not a main competitor to PS, because Nintendo doesn;t get major 3rd party games. No one is going to drop their PS5 to get a Switch. Because you can’t play GTA, COD, and Roblox on the Switch.

2spooky5me

12 May 2024
I like Shawn, but some of his takes are...
He's too Kumbaya and "everything is friendship" rhetoric is starting to really annoy me.

Last edited:

SuperPotato

1 Mar 2024
what Mistakes did he make that Playstation is still paying for?
and did they fire him because he and Jim Ryan were butting heads for power :unsure:

He started the PC ports.

People around here love to blame Jim for this but it was Shawn Layden who started talking about PC ports in 2018 and even admitted in a podcast that it was his idea.

Reactions: Evil Aloy

Danja1187

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
He started the PC ports.

People around here love to blame Jim for this but it was Shawn Layden who started talking about PC ports in 2018 and even admitted in a podcast that it was his idea.
Shawn wanted GaaS games on PC and he started the initiative with the Predator games yes. I specifically remember he stated if some PC gamers won't come to PS he will bring some of their stuff to them.

Shawn wasn't the one who decided to port the entire PS5 library to PC which is what is causing the brand irreparable damage, but sure... Keep clinging to he started the initiative.

He's also the one who finally got Insomniac to sell to PlayStation... A move that has pretty much carried the PS5 in many ways, if we wanna be selective.

Jim Ryan and Hulst has single handily destroyed the pipeline for games releases that was set in place by Yoshida and Shawn.

Jim has done far more damage.

He and Shawn weren't even seeing eye to eye in the final months.... I wonder why?

SuperPotato

1 Mar 2024
Shawn wanted GaaS games on PC and he started the initiative with the Predator games yes. I specifically remember he stated if some PC gamers won't come to PS he will bring some of their stuff to them.

Shawn wasn't the one who decided to port the entire PS5 library to PC which is what is causing the brand irreparable damage, but sure... Keep clinging to he started the initiative.

He's also the one who finally got Insomniac to sell to PlayStation... A move that has pretty much carried the PS5 in many ways, if we wanna be selective.

Jim Ryan and Hulst has single handily destroyed the pipeline for games releases that was set in place by Yoshida and Shawn.

Jim has done far more damage.

He and Shawn weren't even seeing eye to eye in the final months.... I wonder why?

Doesn't matter. He started it and it snowballed from there.