Forspoken did well in all regions apparently.

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022
The game that has almost 6x active players right now, and also launched on game pass on both console and PC and was done on a shoestring budget with no marketing by comparison ?

I think it's gonna be just fine, not a huge bomba like this one.
Do we have stats how many extra game pass subscribers it converted?

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
The game that has almost 6x active players right now, and also launched on game pass on both console and PC and was done on a shoestring budget with no marketing by comparison ?

I think it's gonna be just fine, not a huge bomba like this one.
Rush to the toilet is at number 350. It's selling as much as Assetto Corsa and Black Ops 4, both from 2018 at full price. It's the biggest bomba ever for a first-party game. 5 years development time for this?
Screenshot_20230214_211905_Samsung Internet.jpg
Do we have stats how many extra game pass subscribers it converted?
Zero. It dropped out of the top 50 most played already.

24 Jun 2022
Bethesda was never known for technical marvels or visually pleasing games. I never played Fallout 76 and will not play it because its not for me. Saying Forspoken is a beautiful game is like saying a girl who weighs 500 lbs is attractive. Have you not paid attention to the bland ugly textures or the character models? I am not sure if you are looking at the same game. Forspoken looks like title that was made for the PS3, but blame the luminous engine, its absolutely horrible and Square are absolute idiots for using it.

Look at all this blandness, emptiness and pure grayness lol.

hckf4j4bsxca1.jpg

That actually does look good though? Not every game needs to be as colorful as a Pixar film to look good. I'd say something like HFW looks better than this easily, but that doesn't mean Forspoken looks bad.

Similar to something like Hellblade II; when that game comes out it's going to be a rather "bland" game in terms of visual colors...does that suddenly look bad now? I think games with a more muted, somewhat less desaturated color scheme can look great, and I think Forspoken looks pretty good artistically speaking. Not the absolute best out there either on that front or the technical front, but it doesn't need to be.

Plus this particular shot seems like it was captured in a midday overcast, so some of the colors and luminosity are going to be a bit muted naturally.

"did well"

- tanked on steam
- not in top 5 of NPD
- not even #1 PS5 game in Japan, where you'd 100% expect it to be.

For a very heavily budgeted and advertised AAA exclusive IP, it's pretty disappointing all things considered.

😬

Your back has GOT to be hurting bending this much to concoct a narrative. Y'all failed last year with HFW and GT7, you're failing this year with Forspoken 😂

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
The animation in FF XV was pretty good and if I am not mistaken it's same team for Forspoken? But, to be fair I never liked how FF XV looked. It was very inconsistent ane the lighting in that game was awful, especially during nighttime. I feel that engine was a waste of resources and time. I am glad Square switched over to UE 4 for KH3 and FF7 Remake.

Looking forward too seeing FF7 Rebirth on UE5 and KH4 in UE5. I am very anal about what engines the games use and how they utilize them. Bethesda is fucking lazy and didnt even switch engine for Starfield. A brand new IP for next gen systems.... but whatever, their games are all about the engrossed world exploration and RPG elements and of course the PC mods.

I've seen a good fair share of trash UE4 titles as well. I dunno, any footage I've seen of Forspoken just screams ultra jank to me. Sure, the locations and environments might be really cool from an artistic visual standpoint but it's just sad too see talented 3d artists work go to waste because the people who made the call to use an outdated engine.

I also cannot stand fucking Unity. Worst shit ever. It's only good for mobile and 2D games. The Ori series is the only game I've seen that looks mindblowing for a sidescroller/metroidvania. Any 3D Game in Unity though makes me wants to vomit.
Iirc rebirth isn't on ue5

Elder Legend

CEO of Gaming Instincts (Industry Veteran)
10 Jan 2023
Iirc rebirth isn't on ue5
KH4 trailer was done in UE4 and then confirmed final game will be in UE5 by the devs.

FF7 Rebirth is confirmed for PS5 only, no previous gen versions. Not coming to PS4. UE5 was made in a way where it's very easy to transfer from UE4 to UE5 during mid development, that's one of the special things about it when the new version was introduced. There are even YouTube videos on how to do it, even indie devs can easily switch up on the go in a matter of no time.

As of now just assume it's running in UE4. But I WOULD not be surprised final FF7 Rebirth build is in UE5.

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Rush to the toilet is at number 350. It's selling as much as Assetto Corsa and Black Ops 4, both from 2018 at full price. It's the biggest bomba ever for a first-party game. 5 years development time for this?
View attachment 541

Zero. It dropped out of the top 50 most played already.
One might surmise that the player base that would appreciate it the most is not on the platforms the game was released to…

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Sales, player metrics, consumer reception…. All matter. Even more than what critics say. Critics loved deathloop. Players ignored it.

Games need to make money. If they don’t that dev will cease to exist, be scaled back and then sequels and future projects may never happen.

See Halo Infinite for worst possible scenario.

Elder Legend

10 Jan 2023
Sales, player metrics, consumer reception…. All matter. Even more than what critics say. Critics loved deathloop. Players ignored it.

Games need to make money. If they don’t that dev will cease to exist, be scaled back and then sequels and future projects may never happen.

See Halo Infinite for worst possible scenario.
If that's the case then where is Bloodborne 2? Not only was that game amazing, it sold well too if I recall. But yet, where is the sequel? Also, plenty of bad games gotten sequels before surprisngly... look at Knack. I was one of the oddballs thst actually liked that game, but most hated it. No clue if it sold well, but I don't believe it did? Yet, still got a sequel, that I have yet to play.

OP
OP
thelastword

thelastword

Veteran
4 Jul 2022
If that's the case then where is Bloodborne 2? Not only was that game amazing, it sold well too if I recall. But yet, where is the sequel? Also, plenty of bad games gotten sequels before surprisngly... look at Knack. I was one of the oddballs thst actually liked that game, but most hated it. No clue if it sold well, but I don't believe it did? Yet, still got a sequel, that I have yet to play.
I think Bloodborne 2 is coming.......Also I think Knack 1 sold pretty well, hence the sequels......Wasn't there a meme where Knack was beating some Nintendo game.....? It did well tbf...

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Bloodborne’s success is what gave you the demon’s soul remake. It’s what gave us Elden Ring. That proves my point tho. The money is in from software and souls-likes now. Bloodborne is part of that.

Reactions: thelastword
24 Jun 2022

Have some patience; FromSoft were busy with Sekiro and Elden Ring; Bloodborne's the kind of game that can get a sequel once a generation and get things shaking. It's like asking why hasn't there been a sequel to Mario Odyssey yet....you already know why. Some sequels can cook for a long time, usually because the devs want to do some crazy big things the next game.

I think what Vertigo is talking about, is in the case of a typical game. But stuff like Bloodborne are exceptions.

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
Fromsoft have other priorities, and Sony likely knows that No one wants a Bloodborne 2 that isn't developed by Fromsoft. They'll just have to wait until they're free.

Elder Legend

10 Jan 2023
Have some patience; FromSoft were busy with Sekiro and Elden Ring; Bloodborne's the kind of game that can get a sequel once a generation and get things shaking. It's like asking why hasn't there been a sequel to Mario Odyssey yet....you already know why. Some sequels can cook for a long time, usually because the devs want to do some crazy big things the next game.

I think what Vertigo is talking about, is in the case of a typical game. But stuff like Bloodborne are exceptions.
Patience? It's not even about the patience in the case of Bloodborne. It's the simple fact that Sony is being fucking annoying and quiet about Bloodborne as an IP.

They own the IP, not From Software. Miyazaki said his down for a sequel but the ball is in Sony's court. Sony continue to ignore Bloodborne like it doesn't exist. No PC version, no PS5 update, no remaster, no fucking nothing. You don't need From Software for a Bloodborne Remaster, Bluepoint can easily do it.

This is the problem, it's not even about whether there is a sequel or not. They're ignoring the IP and pretending like it doesn't exist. It's the fact that there is no acknowledgment.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Patience? It's not even about the patience in the case of Bloodborne. It's the simple fact that Sony is being fucking annoying and quiet about Bloodborne as an IP.

They own the IP, not From Software. Miyazaki said his down for a sequel but the ball is in Sony's court. Sony continue to ignore Bloodborne like it doesn't exist. No PC version, no PS5 update, no remaster, no fucking nothing. You don't need From Software for a Bloodborne Remaster, Bluepoint can easily do it.

This is the problem, it's not even about whether there is a sequel or not. They're ignoring the IP and pretending like it doesn't exist. It's the fact that there is no acknowledgment.
Why don't you wait until something has more than one release before calling it an IP? Also, I think Bluepoint is doing their own original game now, not a port.

Elder Legend

10 Jan 2023
Why don't you wait until something has more than one release before calling it an IP? Also, I think Bluepoint is doing their own original game now, not a port.
You have to be joking right? A game doesn't need a sequel to be considered an IP. Sony owns the rights to Bloodborne whether it has a sequel or not. Sounds like you are just saying something for the sake of saying it to sound smart. Please stop, lol. A game is still an IP and someone owns rights to it, regardless if it has another game in the franchise or not.

Yes, I heard lots of rumors on Bluepoint projects and both of them included a sequel too Bloodborne or a remaster. The sequel wouldn't make sense, I am sure Sony knows its better if From Software does it.

Remaster, sure I could see them doing that and then there are also rumors they're working on some sort of a MGS Remake and their own original project. Point is, too many rumors, too much gossip and 0 official acknowledgement and Sony is fucking stupid for not mentioning anything on Bloodborne at this point in time.

I hate Jim Ryan so much. The old Sony crew was far superior. Andrew House and Shawn Layden were so much better and the marketing didn't suck either.

Sony is starting to repeat mistakes of the PS3 era. Cocky and overly arrogant, if they keep this up then they will fall into their own demise. Just because your a marker leader doesn't mean you should keep people in the dark and take forever to communicate with your fanbase.

Last edited: