Fully playable Wolverine PC build circulating 😬😥😥 PhD plus DMCA notices to ppl who downloaded.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
That's simply not true. Development simply does not start all over again for a PC version right after a game releases on a console. It's way inefficient and a huge waste of time and money.
It's definitely what happened with many of the early PS->PC ports. Returnal on PC was outsourced to Climax Studio after the PS5 development was complete. It's not the ideal way to do a PC port. It's better and cheaper if the team maintains their own build the whole way. That's why I think ultimately day and date is the most logical move for Playstation. We'll be in a situation where Last of Us 3 has a totally solid PC version at PS5's launch, but they're going to sit on it and let it depreciate dramatically in value for 2 years? I don't think so.

• haha
Reactions: arvfab

Umar

Veteran
20 Jun 2022
PSN ID
Progamer265446
That's simply not true. Development simply does not start all over again for a PC version right after a game releases on a console. It's way inefficient and a huge waste of time and money.
It doesnt have to start all over again. They just start making the pc version after the console version is out

Jim Ryan

Not Lyin
VIP
22 Jun 2022
It's definitely what happened with many of the early PS->PC ports. Returnal on PC was outsourced to Climax Studio after the PS5 development was complete. It's not the ideal way to do a PC port. It's better and cheaper if the team maintains their own build the whole way. That's why I think ultimately day and date is the most logical move for Playstation. We'll be in a situation where Last of Us 3 has a totally solid PC version at PS5's launch, but they're going to sit on it and let it depreciate dramatically in value for 2 years? I don't think so.
Or just not bother with ports and the added work and risks to the main business.

Jim Ryan

Not Lyin
VIP
22 Jun 2022
Shawn Layden: How can I grow Playstation if I'm only talking to people already into Playstation?
Sell more PlayStations to people that didn't have them before.

Compete for customers against pc, Nintendo and Xbox. Make hardware more affordable or create payment plans for developing countries.

Many ways that don't erode your own platform.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
Sell more PlayStations to people that didn't have them before.

Compete for customers against pc, Nintendo and Xbox. Make hardware more affordable or create payment plans for developing countries.

Many ways that don't erode your own platform.
"a number of people" in high positions at Playstation know something you don't.

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
I've heard that it's the first 8 hours of the game...no idea how true that is, it's still pretty fresh.

There's also a rumor that there's a Spider-Man 2 PC build?? 🤦‍♂️ Which means the game was in development for PC while being made for PS5. Perfectly explains the bugs and the overall lack of polish which I spoke about when I first played it. Now we know why. Could also explain the much higher budget than usual.
Depending how these things are setup making a working PC build may be the only option at this time in development.

Also, as someone who has played leaked pre-release games in the past I must tell you that playing something like that is more about novelty that "gaming".

Insomniac should take this seriously, lok at their security protocols, etc. But as fan/clients we should not be so much on the defensive about these things, if anything it gives us a peek on the inside and this is interesting.

Jim Ryan

Not Lyin
VIP
22 Jun 2022
Layden didn't name all the MS moles at Playstation trying to sabotage the brand with PC ports. They're still out there!
Don't worry, I hired a guy..

agent 47 e3 GIF

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Shawn Layden: How can I grow Playstation if I'm only talking to people already into Playstation?
Circular reasoning: Petitio principii

If the premise above were correct, PlayStation would not exist, nor would any brand.

"a number of people" in high positions at Playstation know something you don't.
Informal fallacy: Argument from authority

It assumes that their authority and knowledge somehow trump someone's opinion, while also implying that "people in high positions" are somehow immune to making mistakes.
Layden didn't name all the MS moles at Playstation trying to sabotage the brand with PC ports. They're still out there!
Informal fallacy: Strawman

I don't even have to explain how stupid that argument is.

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
Console gaming has a very obvious ceiling. Its just requires too much attention and skill to become any bigger. Entire age demo’s will just never play games.

Thats why theres such a big push for accessibility. Its not about just this genuine need to help people, its to get people who can’t play games or can’t play them for very long playing them.

Once they figure out how to get babies to play video games they will start marketing to them also. Thats why why mobile gaming thrives, because everyone already has them, it’s a necessity of life to have a phone on you and everyone can play something like candy crush or angry birds. Its free and only requires one finger

thicc_girls_are_teh_best

Veteran
Icon Extra
24 Jun 2022
Edit: Never mind. Not even worth responding to. Damn that Ignore feature feels great. Really helps with not having to look at septic waste from Steam fanboys unironically allied with Xbox fanboys while masquerading as a PlayStation fan.

Like imagine claiming to be a fan of Sony 1P games but somehow paying for a console to play the games on is sacrilegious. Yet at the same time you're willing to pay $2K on a CPU & GPU that aren't even getting maxed out because no games program specifically with those specs in mind and SDKs like DX12U still have bottlenecks gating maximized usage anyway.

Pure 🤡ery

Console gaming has a very obvious ceiling. Its just requires too much attention and skill to become any bigger. Entire age demo’s will just never play games.

Thats why theres such a big push for accessibility. Its not about just this genuine need to help people, its to get people who can’t play games or can’t play them for very long playing them.

Once they figure out how to get babies to play video games they will start marketing to them also. Thats why why mobile gaming thrives, because everyone already has them, it’s a necessity of life to have a phone on you and everyone can play something like candy crush or angry birds. Its free and only requires one finger

There are optimal & non-optimal ways at accessibility though. For some, "accessibility" means being on more devices, but that posits the barrier is price, which isn't necessarily actually the case. Else we'd see all consoles dropping heavily in revenue, units sold etc. When really, it's just one specific brand experiencing that problem.

Optimal, preferred accessibility would mean adding features to the game that can assist players without the skills to do those things on their own. Things that can optionally make the game play parts of itself, dynamically scale enemy AI, puzzles, provide travel routes etc. All customizable by the player, and then paired with stuff like the new accessibility controller Sony released a little while ago.

That's real accessibility IMHO, and it still retains vertical integration within the primary ecosystem. So, a win-win for everyone that matters.

Last edited:

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Alright everyone let's bring it back and no insults or calling ppl fanboy. Also in the same vain try to refrain from fanboyism if you are exuding it.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
Way to misconstrue his own words, Valve fanboy.

The full context is unambiguous:

If all i'm talking to are people who are into Playstation, to get them to be more Playstation-y, I may be able to get more 'spend' out of them. I may be able to get them to buy more games, to sign up for downloadable content, more services, but still I'm talking to the same group. They're fans, we've brought them in over time, but it's the same group. I don't think you'll ever see Playstation do day-and-date with PC, though never say never. But the strategy that I was developing when I was there was: we need to go out to where these new customers are, these new fans could be. We need to go to where they are because they're decided not to come to my house, I have to go to their house.

Old Gamer

Veteran
Founder
5 Aug 2022

thicc_girls_are_teh_best

Veteran
Icon Extra
24 Jun 2022

That hire sent me some real Nokia vibes back then.

Also suspect the news Ryan was referring to at that time never mentioned the PlayStation 5 console, but rather the business.

It's like a little jigsaw puzzle. All the pieces are starting to fit together and make more sense, to explain how things have been going with SIE the past few years. No disrespect to her credentials but hiring someone with marketing experience at Dell and Microsoft (likely not even within the Xbox division) doesn't seem like a good idea for a heavily entertainment/gaming-focused brand that should largely rely on its console model and business thereof, rather than prioritizing out-of-ecosystem initiatives & pushes.

But it is what it is now. Best we can hope for is some key adjustments are made throughout SIE, or have already began getting made. Of course some of us will disagree with what those adjustments should be...all I'll say is I'm looking out for what's in the best interests of myself as a gamer, and the brand's bread-and-butter, the console, as well as the software they excel at and variety.

Reactions: Diah and arvfab