Future PlayStation will not be the PlayStation you know and Love today. The brand is changing. You're either on board or out!

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
Drama Queen Fainting GIF by Skrz.cz

Drama, the thread.
Y’all seem to not know that Sony always delivers 😂

24 Jun 2022
If Sony's GaaS initiative is anything like the TLOU PC debacle or even Horizon PC pre patches, we could see the gamer/media backlash be disastrous. We saw how bad people were lashing TLOU PC port online and in the media, thankfully it sold like shit so it didn't effect their console image too much.But with their recent slate of GaaS games releasing Day 1 on PC, a disaster of that level on PC could taint the image of the game on other platforms as well as Sony as a whole. As we know most content creators and twitch streamers will be playing from PC, where potentially millions of people will decide if Playstation's GaaS games flop or not.

Sony needs to be careful, because big AAA singleplayer games allowed them to build the blockbuster games brand that they have now, and using unproven startups for their GaaS initiative is exactly what they did with Lucid Games and the flop that was destruction all stars, which I think most people but myself has forgotten existed.

360_F_518076374_r4i7CenCR1oDsvSbVQGqbWYNeErCZaq5.jpg

Agreed with the fact Sony have to tread carefully (and also understand there are a LOT of bad faith factors in the PC and Xbox spaces that will put much stricter standards on Sony's GaaS offerings vs. what they'd do for titles from other companies).

However, if they're going to go for GaaS MP titles, I think it's actually better they do use outside 3P devs; just make sure they are vetted, have them coordinate and stay in contact with Bungie staff, and just make sure progress is being monitored more closely. From what I can tell, the Deviation game has been shelved because it didn't meet Bungie's requirements, but if Bungie had taken a look early on, elements could've been changed earlier to prevent the game from being cancelled. That's years of work and money Sony isn't necessarily going to get back besides having the learned lessons of a failure under their belt.

At least if they lean on outside teams to make most of these GaaS titles, it frees up the main internal teams to focus on what they're actually strong at. Otherwise we get a situation like Naughty Dog where their GaaS is at least heavily delayed (and likely reworked into something smaller), with a small chance it could just get cancelled altogether.

Reactions: Yurinka

VillaiN

10 Feb 2023
When sony attempts fail with gaas, they ll return to traditional stuff. Im certain.

There s no chance Haven can support gaas on Bungie level (1000 devs).

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
This is the future of the PlayStation brand:

1.jpg
This graph says Sony will grow their investment in traditional non GaaS, which will continue being their main focus and that as of March 2026 Sony will be investing in more traditional non-GaaS games than in GaaS.

GaaS require way more investment than traditional games due to extra development and marketing costs of the GaaS stuff, specially post launch stuff. So even if percent of money investmented is 60% GaaS for that last year, the percent of number of games where they invested that year will be way smaller for GaaS. Pretty likely way under 50% in terms of amount of games.

Calverz

28 Mar 2023
I’m delighted with their direction. I want more multiplayer games from them and on pc. I just want a new killZone but happy with more shooters in general.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
When sony attempts fail with gaas, they ll return to traditional stuff. Im certain.

There s no chance Haven can support gaas on Bungie level (1000 devs).
There is no coming back from a shift to GaaS, they'll probably take all the wrong lessons from it.

If the GaaS games fail they'll just say:
"See! We focused too much on single player games in the past and now our studios aren't suited to compete in the GaaS space."

They are already turning their back on traditional games even before having any big GaaS success of their own. Blizzard, Valve, Rockstar, Epic, once you taste that GaaS sucess that becomes your primary focus.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
GAAS is the future and my favorite if done right.

If you’re a fan of action games, fighters, racing games, etc… it’s not much different than what you’ve been playing; just more of it and if done right numerous layers of depth and investment. I like getting a new Halo game every year from Bungie. I like not having to buy a full priced version of street fighter every 8 months for 4 new characters, balance updates and a unified player pool.

For many of these it’s just the evolution of the iterative sequel. Most have a multiplayer and PvP component.

Sports sims should make the jump but licensing costs are probably the big roadblock there and will continue to keep those as overpriced rehashes.

Single player gaas tho? Eh… depends. Not the way ass creed does it. Prefer what CDPR has done with Witcher 3. More organic I suppose. I’m sure Starfield is built entirely with such purpose… to grow for years.

I’d rather see something more like attempting to do the mass effect trilogy as one game episodically in some form in that case…

Last edited:

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
I want to see more blending of online and offline, which is sometimes lumped in with the "service game" idea. I want a Borderlands with other vault hunters tooling around as in Destiny or The Division. There's a lot more interesting things to explore. The point isn't that a game launches with a Season Pass. The point is new experiences that haven't been tried before.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
I want to see more blending of online and offline, which is sometimes lumped in with the "service game" idea. I want a Borderlands with other vault hunters tooling around as in Destiny or The Division. There's a lot more interesting things to explore. The point isn't that a game launches with a Season Pass. The point is new experiences that haven't been tried before.
Death Stranding and From Software games do it really well, the multiplayer elements enrich the single player experience.

PlacidusaX

Veteran
Icon Extra
24 Oct 2022
If you’re a fan of action games, fighters, racing games, etc… it’s not much different than what you’ve been playing; just more of it and if done right numerous layers of depth and investment. I like getting a new Halo game every year from Bungie. I like not having to buy a full priced version of street fighter every 8 months for 4 new characters, balance updates and a unified player pool.

For many of these it’s just the evolution of the iterative sequel. Most have a multiplayer and PvP component.

Sports sims should make the jump but licensing costs are probably the big roadblock there and will continue to keep those as overpriced rehashes.

Single player gaas tho? Eh… depends. Not the way ass creed does it. Prefer what CDPR has done with Witcher 3. More organic I suppose. I’m sure Starfield is built entirely with such purpose… to grow for years.

I’d rather see something more like attempting to do the mass effect trilogy as one game episodically in some form in that case…
Destiny 2 is the perfect example of GAAS done right for my tastes.
If From got into the mix that would be better than perfect if done right.

If I like a game and it's universe I want more content that keeps me in it longer.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Destiny 2 is the perfect example of GAAS done right for my tastes.
If From got into the mix that would be better than perfect if done right.

If I like a game and it's universe I want more content that keeps me in it longer.

Their MT store is worthless trash. The direct pay for more content strategy is at least fair. Give them money. They give you more game every 3 months and a rework, and sequel every year.

It’s the best workaround to the mmo sub method for consoles without ending service if you don’t continue to pay. The a la carte method is still a mess tho.

I’m glad the game keeps evolving and becoming a more direct action game? More destiny things like a million consumables, rarities, power grinds, exploring for destination materials… all things are being polluted into other games. And D2 has been removing pretty much all of that from the game.

Last edited:

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
Death Stranding and From Software games do it really well, the multiplayer elements enrich the single player experience.
Not to knock those games, I like how they incorporate "shared world" ideas. But to me the holy grail would be having interesting ways to play with strangers in real time without specifically entering a multiplayer lobby. Like if I'm deep in a dungeon in Skyrim, maybe I bump into another adventurer, but without full blown MMO trappings.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
People acting like Sony didnt make multiplayer online games in the past. Im not worried about the future, give it some time.

Ill wait to see how the other studios are doing. Currently all of the old teams apart from one of ND teams are working on single player games so I dont get all the “worrying”. The show sucked, simple, move on and wait to see what they have. We’ve only been shown “gaas” games from the newly acquired studios so nothing lost.

We got 4 single player games last year, 1 this year (Spiderman 2 ) and we know Wolverine, Ronin and Death Stranding 2 are all on the way which are all single player games. Plus the 3rd party exclusives are single player games. Sony need to make online games and multiplayer games, ”gaas” is nothing new.

Reactions: Danja1187