Future PlayStation will not be the PlayStation you know and Love today. The brand is changing. You're either on board or out!

24 Jun 2022
Death Stranding and From Software games do it really well, the multiplayer elements enrich the single player experience.

I think if we got any indication that this was a major focus of the 'live service' content Sony wants to make, there'd be a lot less concern among certain enthusiasts and core of the fanbase.

That said when the first big initiatives are CGI trailers for Fairgame$ and Concord, that isn't a great sign stuff like DS and Souls-like (where there is a very strong single-player component you can enjoy and ignore the live-service stuff if you want) will be the focus.

Seems like those would fall under Sony's 'Traditional' categorization and budget funding for those is relatively flat year-to-year compared to the clear increases for live-service content.

If you’re a fan of action games, fighters, racing games, etc… it’s not much different than what you’ve been playing; just more of it and if done right numerous layers of depth and investment. I like getting a new Halo game every year from Bungie. I like not having to buy a full priced version of street fighter every 8 months for 4 new characters, balance updates and a unified player pool.

For many of these it’s just the evolution of the iterative sequel. Most have a multiplayer and PvP component.

Sports sims should make the jump but licensing costs are probably the big roadblock there and will continue to keep those as overpriced rehashes.

Single player gaas tho? Eh… depends. Not the way ass creed does it. Prefer what CDPR has done with Witcher 3. More organic I suppose. I’m sure Starfield is built entirely with such purpose… to grow for years.

I’d rather see something more like attempting to do the mass effect trilogy as one game episodically in some form in that case…

I think the big worry with the live-service push is that it will be geared towards MP-only games that lack any strong single-player components or where the live-service component is necessary to even enjoy or play the game.

The two new 1P live-service games Sony revealed last week were both MP-only, and likely don't have any strong SP story campaign. If they do have any SP, it won't be the clear focus, otherwise I think the reveals would have been structured differently. The worry is that all the live-service initiatives going forward will lean into MP-only content that forgoes strong SP campaigns and stories.

If it were a mix of traditional games with live-service and live-service MP-only content, I feel the budgeting allocations in Sony's own graphs would reflect that better. You wouldn't need 60% funding for FY25 towards live-service if that was really just live-service content for otherwise traditional games. But maybe I'm wrong. If so, a 3rd graph with something like 'traditional (+ live service content)' would have been welcomed, or just reflecting that amount under Traditional.

EDIT: And EverQuest was an old MMORPG Sony Online Entertainment (SOE) had in the early '00s. Was decently popular and saw some expansions, I think it also got a version for the PS2 (obviously you needed the broadband network adapter to play it, and maybe also the optional HDD).

I think they sold the IP rights to another company many years ago and SOE itself was eventually dissolved.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
No vote.

I know Sony is pivoting into live service games and whatnot but as long as I average at least 2 single player blockbusters a year, im good.

Everyone is doing Live Service Games. Doesnt mean thats all they are gonna do or its a pivoting moment and change of direction.

They made plenty online Multiplayer games in the past. I dont get why everyone is acting like this is some new special direction, or that Gaas is new too or any different to online multiplayer games. Same same

Reactions: peter42O

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
🤣

I know what EverQuest is… I just brought it up because like someone said. This isn’t the first time song has tried this.

Hell, I wish they didn’t try VR but people seem to be all for that. So … 🤷‍♂️

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
I think if we got any indication that this was a major focus of the 'live service' content Sony wants to make, there'd be a lot less concern among certain enthusiasts and core of the fanbase.

That said when the first big initiatives are CGI trailers for Fairgame$ and Concord, that isn't a great sign stuff like DS and Souls-like (where there is a very strong single-player component you can enjoy and ignore the live-service stuff if you want) will be the focus.

Seems like those would fall under Sony's 'Traditional' categorization and budget funding for those is relatively flat year-to-year compared to the clear increases for live-service content.
Exactly, I think we got the opposite indication, Live Service/GaaS to them means exactly what I feared, games without any creative drive build around monetization strategies (what pretty much ruined all multiplayers for me).

A game like Fairgame$ would only emerge from a studio lead by the producer with no strong creative personality behind it.

That is what pisses me off so much about the story of Bungie having a say on ND game, I have no interest in Bungie like multiplayer while Factions was already damn good despite being a PS3 game (that they didn't even include on Part I). TLoU Part II has great gameplay and it was pretty much the only multiplayer game I was looking forward to (or to at least find out exactly what it is).

I find both Halo and Destiny extremely uninspiring and always did. If game was limited to games like this I would not be interested in playing games.

Mmos suck so idk what you're trying to say here
MMOs got stuck in game design patterns from 25 years ago and only degenerated by absorbing terrible monetization and time wasting strategies from other more modern GaaS.

Last edited:

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Mmos suck so idk what you're trying to say here
They dont all suck. Its like saying 3rd person Action games suck because of Quantum Theory or countless others.

MMO’s or online RPG’s are pretty popular. Something Sony was making awhile ago

I really enjoyed Final Fantasy 14. It practically saved Square all of last gen despite its horrible launch

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
That is what pisses me off so much about the story of Bungie having a say on ND game, I have no interest in Bungie like multiplayer while Factions was already damn good despite being a PS3 game (that they didn't even include on Part I). TLoU Part II has great gameplay and it was pretty much the only multiplayer game I was looking forward to (or to at least find out exactly what it is).

If they deliver, it sounds like a Online game I can sink into.

From the rumours or team member quotes about the gameplay, its not just the PVP Factions gameplay. ND wants to bring there single player story telling experience to an online game. So to me, that sounds like loads of ND style gameplay, action and stories. Which is why Im excited about there “Gaas” game.
Im not much of PVP /Team PVP guy, apart from Factions 1, U2/4, Destiny MGS5, Rocket League etc etc
So something like being able to play TLOU stories/ missions in Factions 2 and sometimes with friends, that sounds awesome.

I find both Halo and Destiny extremely uninspiring and always did. If game was limited to games like this I would not be interested in playing games.

Hey we cant always like the same stuff lol. I really enjoy the gunplay controls/feel.

MMOs got stuck in game design patterns from 25 years ago and only degenerated by absorbing terrible monetization and time wasting strategies from other more modern GaaS.
Sometimes its a great story and world that makes it interesting. If you like the more classic Final Fantasy’s, I say give Final Fantasy 14 a try. It surprised me

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
🤣

I know what EverQuest is… I just brought it up because like someone said. This isn’t the first time song has tried this.

Love it :LOL:

Yes “Gaas” is nothing new. PS2 got a modem adaptor so it could play FF11 lol

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Sometimes its a great story and world that makes it interesting. If you like the more classic Final Fantasy’s, I say give Final Fantasy 14 a try. It surprised me
It ain't for me, it doesn't get going, it's a massive time sink and it reminds me of post Vanilla WoW where there is absolutely no challenge and everything is instantiated and disconnected.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
They dont all suck. Its like saying 3rd person Action games suck because of Quantum Theory or countless others.

MMO’s or online RPG’s are pretty popular. Something Sony was making awhile ago

I really enjoyed Final Fantasy 14. It practically saved Square all of last gen despite its horrible launch
They do all suck, by design. They need to be grindy to keep you invested or you stop paying the sub. Even ff14.

Reactions: Nhomnhom

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
They do all suck, by design. They need to be grindy to keep you invested or you stop paying the sub. Even ff14.
They also need to be dumbed down to the most braindead player, since everyone has to see all content and nobody is allowed to die while leveling apparently.

OP
OP
KnittedKnight

KnittedKnight

Gaming Sage
Icon Extra
13 Jul 2022
The golden age of PC was when MMO's became popularized and big in the gaming scene. That is what mostly set PC software aside from consoles, cause all other genres would be served equally and even better, through exclusion or otherwise on consoles. Game design however did not evolve, and got stuck as another user pointed out, and the monetization model got worse and into gambling territory. I have an unhealthy amount of my life spent on Runescape.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
They also need to be dumbed down to the most braindead player, since everyone has to see all content and nobody is allowed to die while leveling apparently.
Not really. Endgames on the bigger mmos are notorious for being skill, level, and gear checks. But the point is the reason why you can only do a raid once a week, why it takes a dozen-20 people to do a raid, why each raid only drops an RNG piece of an RNG set and many drop systems only give one copy of that equipment per raid... it's to keep you stuck with your nose to the grindstone. You are trapped in the game like a full time job if you want to progress.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Not really. Endgames on the bigger mmos are notorious for being skill, level, and gear checks. But the point is the reason why you can only do a raid once a week, why it takes a dozen-20 people to do a raid, why each raid only drops an RNG piece of an RNG set and many drop systems only give one copy of that equipment per raid... it's to keep you stuck with your nose to the grindstone. You are trapped in the game like a full time job if you want to progress.
This is exactly the mentality I mean, why would the game only become hard on the endgame?

There is no risk to anything. This should be a major factor, the game should feel dangerous most of the time and the content should be systemic. All you described is exactly how it was decades ago only dumped down and made into boring to uninspired chore.

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
🤣

I'm with you on VR though I own a PSVR2. Just imagine how much more dedicated PS5 software we'd have now. I long for a PS generation where resources weren't split.

Reactions: Vertigo

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
I'm with you on VR though I own a PSVR2. Just imagine how much more dedicated PS5 software we'd have now. I long for a PS generation where resources weren't split.
Disagree tbh. Sony has enough resources to do both. It's like complaining that if Sony didn't make image sensors or music that we'd get more stuff for playstation.

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
Disagree tbh. Sony has enough resources to do both. It's like complaining that if Sony didn't make image sensors or music that we'd get more stuff for playstation.
Okay? I never said they didn't? As they clearly do? I said I long for a generation where resources weren't split. No one is complaining here.