GameDiscoverCo estimates have anywhere between 65% and 75% of Helldivers 2's LTD players on Steam |UP| 2/24/24 Overall, over 60% PC split.

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
People in this forum used to talk shit about this game. Mosy didnt even thought was relevant. Now shit blew up everyone brags about it
Gaas deniers always been corny. From what I saw even on this forum, people were pretty excited. Look at the review predictions thread.

24 Jun 2022
Yep Red Dragon was a hardcore Xbox fanboy until 2015, and he’s one of the people in support of day and date 🤦‍♂️

And a lot of PS fans on Twitter, Gaf, reset, Reddit, etc can’t think for themselves and quickly fold under pressure. Especially when Xbox fans (astroturfers) are always controlling narratives. The fact that a distant 3rd place failure can dictate gaming discourse to this extent is really sad.

Wow even Red Dragon is capping for Sony Day 1 on PC? Just GaaS titles (where it makes some sense at least), or all games?

No matter, it just helps so I can know who's really worth listening to on topics related to Sony and sensible business strategies for PlayStation. Stuff like this weeds out those thinking clearly and from a balanced POV (what's best for the brand & company, but not at the expense of what's best for brand identity, themselves, or the hobbyist aspect), versus those who easily buy into talking points companies like MS put out to get public sentiment in their favor.

Reactions: JAHGamer

AllBizness

Veteran
22 Jul 2023
This is a nothing burger. People will buy a PS5 to play this if they dont have a capable PC. Also the game is #1 on PSN now so sales are atleast 50/50 with Steam at this point

Last edited:

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Wow even Red Dragon is capping for Sony Day 1 on PC? Just GaaS titles (where it makes some sense at least), or all games?

No matter, it just helps so I can know who's really worth listening to on topics related to Sony and sensible business strategies for PlayStation. Stuff like this weeds out those thinking clearly and from a balanced POV (what's best for the brand & company, but not at the expense of what's best for brand identity, themselves, or the hobbyist aspect), versus those who easily buy into talking points companies like MS put out to get public sentiment in their favor.
red dragon isn't really even pro-ps, he's just anti-MS and uses playstation because MS is so terrible. He plays a lot on PC.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023

But you're just taking what you personally think and labeling that 'balanced'. For both MS and Sony, there's a strong case, and strong incentives to get out of the hardware business entirely. MS straight up cannot make Series X for profit. Every X they sell is a big loss. Sony isn't so dire because they're generally much better at this, but still their profitable software reach is meaningfully capped by PS5 sell-through. I would assume Sony pulls a small profit on PS5 hardware, but we just got reports they have to cut production after failing to hit their ambitious Q4 target. If you have to *cut* production to save money, that's a sign the business is not going smoothly. Typically you want to sell your product to make money, ya know? If you need to consistently sell > 10M copies on software that costs > $200M to produce, with 50M PS5s, you're making a big bet on attach rate. It's unrealistic to expect 1 out of 5 of all PS5 owners spread across the world to buy every game you make.

More important than business is what you personally want as a gamer. My experience is better if Playstation games come day and date to Steam because I can get a great experience on my TV or my laptop or my Deck with seamless cloud saves. I don't really need a better excuse than that, even if it was demonstrably bad for Sony. It's still what's best for me.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
This is a nothing burger. People will buy a PS5 to play this if they dont have a capable PC. Also the game is #1 on PSN now so sales are atleast 50/50 with Ateam at this point

This is what I think too, and I'd say it's deeper than owning/access to a capable PC. A strong plurality of gamers simply don't want a PC, they want a gaming appliance. They don't want to fuck with drivers. They don't want to upgrade their ram. They don't want to know what "shaders" are. They just want to pick up a controller and play. Playstation is the best way to game under these conditions, and it will be for many years to come.

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023

Everything, even single player games

24 Jun 2022
red dragon isn't really even pro-ps, he's just anti-MS and uses playstation because MS is so terrible. He plays a lot on PC.

Oh he's one of "those" types, then. Sounds like he doesn't really care for PlayStation so much as they're a convenient way for him to vent against Xbox.

The moment Microsoft gives even a whiff of doing something right again, dudes like Red Dragon would be among the first to ditch PlayStation and jump right back in to everything Xbox. Though in this case, he's on PC so he'd just start suddenly being way more positive about Xbox stuff and stop mentioning PlayStation.

Everything, even single player games

Yeah he's stupid, then. This and the ABK stuff's really been exposing A LOT of people with sizeable platforms, I will say that much.

But you're just taking what you personally think and labeling that 'balanced'. For both MS and Sony, there's a strong case, and strong incentives to get out of the hardware business entirely. MS straight up cannot make Series X for profit. Every X they sell is a big loss. Sony isn't so dire because they're generally much better at this, but still their profitable software reach is meaningfully capped by PS5 sell-through. I would assume Sony pulls a small profit on PS5 hardware, but we just got reports they have to cut production after failing to hit their ambitious Q4 target. If you have to *cut* production to save money, that's a sign the business is not going smoothly. Typically you want to sell your product to make money, ya know? If you need to consistently sell > 10M copies on software that costs > $200M to produce, with 50M PS5s, you're making a big bet on attach rate. It's unrealistic to expect 1 out of 5 of all PS5 owners spread across the world to buy every game you make.

More important than business is what you personally want as a gamer. My experience is better if Playstation games come day and date to Steam because I can get a great experience on my TV or my laptop or my Deck with seamless cloud saves. I don't really need a better excuse than that, even if it was demonstrably bad for Sony. It's still what's best for me.

Sony, a company with a HISTORY IN HARDWARE ELECTORNICS, wants to get out of the gaming hardware market?

Lol. Lel, even.

Stopped taking the post seriously after that, it's like a basic logic check to pass and you failed somehow. If anything Sony are more interested in bringing down hardware costs on production vs. leaving hardware, and not pursuing "MOAH POWWAAAH!!" just for the sake of it would be a great way of achieving that (and funneling a lot of that savings to other hardware features that can better differentiate the product while keeping it competitive).

You also misunderstood those reports of unit production cuts because for starters, they're mainly rumors and secondly, Q1 for any new year generally always has lower sales compared to Q4 so production would scale back to compensate.

Last edited:

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
Makes a lot of sense. PC players are more into multiplayer and live service games where as console is more for single player outside a few multiplayer items. Its why anything live service from Sony should go day and date on PC
My friends who play on PC play almost exclusively live service games, a specific one has paid for WoW almost since release (it's very likely he was there on day 1... at least the first week).

24 Jun 2022

Holy crap, that is a TERRIBLE graph. Scaling is all over the place; why is 48% for 2015 almost as much visually as 64% from 2021, and bigger than 52% from 2019? And each of the bars total 100% anyway; if it's for selection of other games, why is the chart specifically labeled for Witcher 3? Again, just garbage design for the graph all around.

Anyway...Witcher is a very PC-centric franchise but all the graph is really showing is that PlayStation accounted for the majority of the B2P sales revenue when the game held its highest MSRP average. Whereas PC is a very favored platform for catalog/legacy sales at cheaper prices.

Kind of the same thing with Capcom games, as another example. One reason would be there aren't services quite like PS+ on PC where you get games like Witcher 3 for free (as part of the service) in the sub. Therefore prices on PC once it hits the latter years get really cheap to drive adoption rates.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
Holy crap, that is a TERRIBLE graph. Scaling is all over the place; why is 48% for 2015 almost as much visually as 64% from 2021, and bigger than 52% from 2019? And each of the bars total 100% anyway; if it's for selection of other games, why is the chart specifically labeled for Witcher 3? Again, just garbage design for the graph all around.

Anyway...Witcher is a very PC-centric franchise but all the graph is really showing is that PlayStation accounted for the majority of the B2P sales revenue when the game held its highest MSRP average. Whereas PC is a very favored platform for catalog/legacy sales at cheaper prices.

Kind of the same thing with Capcom games, as another example. One reason would be there aren't services quite like PS+ on PC where you get games like Witcher 3 for free (as part of the service) in the sub. Therefore prices on PC once it hits the latter years get really cheap to drive adoption rates.
I didn't make it, CDPR made it for their PC-fanboy investors. I assume the scaling has to do with shifting total sales. Their FY report from 2019 showed that every year since 2015 they've sold at least 2.5M copies of W3, with PC being the top platform every year other than 2015.

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023

Because the bars scale to units sold in each year and they've just split it by platform. Which is to say that TW3 almost sold as many units in 2021 as in 2015 on release. Its ASP likely dropped heavily so I wouldn't be surprised if it made more money on PS, and it definitely did on consoles as a whole vs PC. It's no wonder more PC-only devs are chasing console money for genres that previously were underrepresented on the platforms.

xollowsob

Veteran
6 Jan 2024
I did nazi this and you are right it's not cool. I dont know why you would say that when we see stuff like this we correct it. We don't always see this stuff thts why reporting is important.
Ftfy.

Helldivers would have been a flop if not for PC?

• haha
Reactions: JAHGamer

Petekilla

Veteran
16 Jun 2023

Colin is too. Lol