God of War Ragnarök | Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
The opening scene where i rip off Arteus's head and then dunk his skinny arse in the hoop was simply amazing.

kombat GIF

Still downloading, DAMMIt

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
Disc is still installing. Started at 12:28pm and it's currently 1:17pm. UGH.
Bought the game yesterday, courtesy of our very own Spud, @Bryank75.

Downloading it on my UK super first-world connection, had to stop as other people using the internet complained, but its the god of war i told them,

How am i supposed to watch EASTENDERS came the reply?

FML.

Old Gamer

Veteran
5 Aug 2022
I love the argument that a lack of traditional narrative delivery ie. cutscenes, walk and talks, means From games have no story. They have quite a lot of buried narrative in fact, and typically those who appreciate these games enjoy the process of learning about the world via means other than expository dialogue and cutscenes. If you don't like this method of story telling there is nothing wrong with that, but GTFO here with From games have no story.
Jimmy Fallon What GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

BloodMod

Fear the Old Blood
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
He is talking about one of the above posters take on Bloodborne not having a story and janky ass controls/combat.
It's an odd opinion to have, Bloodborne has an excellent, well written lore, interwoven into every aspect of the game. And its fast combat is superb. The regain mechanic encourages aggressive gameplay, setting it above other From games.

God of War is an entirely different beast, why the comparisons?

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
Come on dude. Don't argue against something that is a known fact. GoW:R has the same feel of controls as 2018. No need to waste forum space arguing that.
Well, no... It's much faster paced.

Like, the control scheme is the same, but things happen faster, it's just more responsive from the start and traversal is smoother.

I would say that it's different enough... Maybe this is because I play on performance favor fps.

I'm not arguing about which you prefer, sometimes we just know... But don't tell me these games play the same.

D

Deleted member 13

Well, no... It's much faster paced.

Like, the control scheme is the same, but things happen faster, it's just more responsive from the start and traversal is smoother.

I would say that it's different enough... Maybe this is because I play on performance favor fps.

I'm not arguing about which you prefer, sometimes we just know... But don't tell me these games play the same.
That's all I was trying to say. You aren't playing with two totally different games with totally different controls.

Nym

Did you like my Glasses, Snake?
21 Jun 2022

I thought it was fairly clear. FROM games, far from having "no story", have a lot of narrative to uncover. Expository cutscenes are not the only way to impart information and it makes me laugh to read someone say From games have no stories in them because they weren't forced to sit through cutscenes.

Reactions: Deleted member 13

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
It's an odd opinion to have, Bloodborne has an excellent, well written lore, interwoven into every aspect of the game. And its fast combat is superb. The regain mechanic encourages aggressive gameplay, setting it above other From games.

God of War is an entirely different beast, why the comparisons?
Oh idk lol I don't agree about bloodborne not having lore , it does just not in your face.

Reactions: Deleted member 13

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
I thought it was fairly clear. FROM games, far from having "no story", have a lot of narrative to uncover. Expository cutscenes are not the only way to impart information and it makes me laugh to read someone say From games have no stories in them because they weren't forced to sit through cutscenes.
I would prefer more games to take this approach, silent protagonist, no in your face story with voice actors, cut scenes, etc. It's you and the adventure, you can ignore the written lore if you want.

However, GoW is one of the series that was story driven from the beginning, now they added the sidekicks to be more like the ND games, which is something I could do without in the end.

Reactions: Nym

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
That's all I was trying to say. You aren't playing with two totally different games with totally different controls.
What you say is like saying that all FPS (just an example) are the same because you map your buttons the same way when you play them on PC.

The moves are different, and when they are the "same" they execute differently, the skill trees and upgrade systems are completely different as well, etc.

P

peter42O

There should really be an OT for GOWR.

Anyway, two hours in, excellent opening but a question for those playing. In general, there's a black fade or something that goes around the entire screen. Anyway to turn this off? Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.