Status
Not open for further replies.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
What you say is like saying that all FPS (just an example) are the same because you map your buttons the same way when you play them on PC.

The moves are different, and when they are the "same" they execute differently, the skill trees and upgrade systems are completely different as well, etc.
He is not being fair.

Except for Bloodborne and Sekiro all others Souls games have the same control and inputs… including Elden Ring.

What is bad for one game is good in the other 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: Alabtrosmyster

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Intro sequence was fantastic. The stranger fight was a cooler:better but still good the nonetheless

laynelane

Veteran
14 Jul 2022
There should really be an OT for GOWR.

Anyway, two hours in, excellent opening but a question for those playing. In general, there's a black fade or something that goes around the entire screen. Anyway to turn this off? Thanks.

I had a similar issue in the original game. This might help.

P

peter42O

I had a similar issue in the original game. This might help.

Thanks but it's not a black border. I'm in the second realm and it's gone. Maybe it was just a visual effect for the first realm. Haven't had it in the second area.

D

Deleted member 13

What you say is like saying that all FPS (just an example) are the same because you map your buttons the same way when you play them on PC.
No, that's not a good comparison. A good comparison will be COD: MW playing very similar to COD: MW2. And that's true.

The moves are different, and when they are the "same" they execute differently, the skill trees and upgrade systems are completely different as well, etc.
So let me ask you.. when you throw the axe. Is it the same button presses and the same animation when he throws the axe? Can you still hold the axe and select multiple targets like in 2018 before letting go of the axe? If the answer is yes to both of those, then I rest my case.

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
No, that's not a good comparison. A good comparison will be COD: MW playing very similar to COD: MW2. And that's true.

So let me ask you.. when you throw the axe. Is it the same button presses and the same animation when he throws the axe? Can you still hold the axe and select multiple targets like in 2018 before letting go of the axe? If the answer is yes to both of those, then I rest my case.
Now that you mentioned it, I think I started a playthrough of GoW 2018 without even noticing it. I was so caught up in the hype I didn't even notice!

Exact same game, I have been hit too hard by the hype train!
Ryen Russillo Layers GIF by The Ringer

• haha
Reactions: PropellerEar

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Now that you mentioned it, I think I started a playthrough of GoW 2018 without even noticing it. I was so caught up in the hype I didn't even notice!

Exact same game, I have been hit too hard by the hype train!
Ryen Russillo Layers GIF by The Ringer
I’m not even sure what he is trying to say because his “fair” example can be used with Elden Ring compared with 2009 Demon’s Souls and he says Elden Ring gameplay is different 😂😂😂

I played Ragnarok yesterday and even at beginning there are so many things different in gameplay terms 🤷‍♂️

D

Deleted member 13

At this point, I'm going to let you guys circle jerk each other. 2018 GoW is very similar to GoW:R in gameplay. To say they are totally different experiences is just being a fanboy and trying to make it be more special than what it is.

arvfab

Oldest Guard
23 Jun 2022
At this point, I'm going to let you guys circle jerk each other. 2018 GoW is very similar to GoW:R in gameplay. To say they are totally different experiences is just being a fanboy and trying to make it be more special than what it is.

Yep very similar masterpiece like 2018 one. Going by the few hours I played, even better.

Second game in the series after the gameplay revolution of 2018, and I'm at a point in the game where I can confirm, there are some huge changes, but I don't want to spoil.

But I can see that you find Sekiro& Bloodborne to have bigger changes in respect to Demon's Souls/Dark Souls/Elden Ring, as they play indeed differently, because they are in fact different games.

PlacidusaX

Veteran
Icon Extra
24 Oct 2022
Feels like I am going into different areas from the 2018 game.
Easily can pass for DLC.

• haha
Reactions: arvfab
D

Deleted member 13

But I can see that you find Sekiro& Bloodborne to have bigger changes in respect to Demon's Souls/Dark Souls/Elden Ring, as they play indeed differently, because they are in fact different games.
I never compared Sekiro/Bloodborne to the Souls games. Send me a link stating such.

arvfab

Oldest Guard
23 Jun 2022
I never compared Sekiro/Bloodborne to the Souls games. Send me a link stating such.

Sorry I haven't read everything, I just assumed it as you talked about Sekiro being "better for you" and the fact that a direct sequel plays similarly to it's predecessor, which Sekiro/Bloodborne do not as they aren't sequels.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
I played around 8 hours of the game. Around the first two are very similar to the first one in terms of gameplay, setting or narrative, normal in a direct sequel, but after that starts to branch away in a very cool way in terms of gameplay, setting and narrative.

The first location, the snowy area that appears in the trailer and where Krato's cabin in the wooks is located, feels pretty samey but the next main big area is very new, different and super cool. Even in terms of environment art and lighting makes a big improvement and change and there are many new mechanics unlocked making the game feel very fresh. The narrative and the story also feels fresh and better than the 2018 game and keeps you hooked wanting to know what happens next.

The first couple of hours were very good, but the game keeps improving and surprising you with very cool stuff and twists you weren't expecting. Without spoil anything and mentioning only stuff seen in trailers, I saw the cutscene with Tyr in a prision that appeared in the trailers and arrived to the location you go after that. Most of the stuff shown in trailers are from the very first few hours of the game.

Regarding gameplay, at the start there are several common attacks that are from the first game, but you also have new ones and very quickly you start to unlock a lot of new and different stuffs that gives the combat, navigation and puzzles a pretty different approach: from different shield and parry strategies to being able to attack with verticality and the companion being now more useful as it's also easier to include his support as part of combos, plus new things that get introduced.

After the first 8 hours feel like a great mixture of great combat, great exploration and puzzles, and great narrative with great learning, discovery and difficulty (it's challenging) curves.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Sorry I haven't read everything, I just assumed it as you talked about Sekiro being "better for you" and the fact that a direct sequel plays similarly to it's predecessor, which Sekiro/Bloodborne do not as they aren't sequels.
He compared Elden Ring gameplay as being different from let's says Dark Souls 3 while GoW:R is not different in gameplay as GoW (2018) :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

I'm not even sure to what to think anymore.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
I played around 8 hours of the game. Around the first two are very similar to the first one in terms of gameplay, setting or narrative, normal in a direct sequel, but after that starts to branch away in a very cool way in terms of gameplay, setting and narrative.

The first location, the snowy area that appears in the trailer and where Krato's cabin in the wooks is located, feels pretty samey but the next main big area is very new, different and super cool. Even in terms of environment art and lighting makes a big improvement and change and there are many new mechanics unlocked making the game feel very fresh. The narrative and the story also feels fresh and better than the 2018 game and keeps you hooked wanting to know what happens next.

The first couple of hours were very good, but the game keeps improving and surprising you with very cool stuff and twists you weren't expecting. Without spoil anything and mentioning only stuff seen in trailers, I saw the cutscene with Tyr in a prision that appeared in the trailers and arrived to the location you go after that. Most of the stuff shown in trailers are from the very first few hours of the game.
Some guys are probably saying gameplay being the same based in the initial 30 minutos footage that youtubers where allowed to share before launch.

PS. I do expected some twists to align with he mythology... let's see which ones will surprise me and which ones I guessed right :D

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
GOW 2018 was basically a reboot of GOW franchise and gave a whole new feeling to the GOW series so why is there a debate for/against on whether the sequel feels the same, it's supposed too! It's a sequel to a reboot that did things differently and there is/was no need to reinvent anything with this GOW. Developers don't reinvent the wheel every sequel, that shit would drive me mad!!! GOW Ragnarok is what it's supposed to be, a refined sequel with better pacing than the initial, more variety of enemies as opposed to the first and just better in most ways but sticking to the things that made 2018 a gem and that's exactly what I wanted.

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
I would ask you again, where did you learn this?

Yes they are similar in a way, they're in the same series, but they are significant in about as many ways as they are close.

Playing 2018 then R there is no mistake, the combos are different, the traversal is different, the whole pace of the combat is different... Just watching videos was enough for me to see, playing the new game makes that fact even clearer.

It's way more different than going from MegaMan 1 to MegaMan 2, of Far Cry 3 to 4 or 5... or Uncharted 2 to 3.

You watch too many xbox podcasts, that blurs your sense of reality.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
I would ask you again, where did you learn this?

Yes they are similar in a way, they're in the same series, but they are significant in about as many ways as they are close.

Playing 2018 then R there is no mistake, the combos are different, the traversal is different, the whole pace of the combat is different... Just watching videos was enough for me to see, playing the new game makes that fact even clearer.

It's way more different than going from MegaMan 1 to MegaMan 2, of Far Cry 3 to 4 or 5... or Uncharted 2 to 3.

You watch too many xbox podcasts, that blurs your sense of reality.
There are changes in gameplay... very perceptible.
But I understand that in a very personal way it could feel similar or different... it will be an opinion of each person.

My only issue is to say GoW (2018) to Ragnarok gameplay is the same and say that Dark Souls to Elden Ring gameplay is different... that will just show the bias because that claim is very misleading.

Status
Not open for further replies.