God of War Ragnarök | Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

PlacidusaX

Veteran
Icon Extra
24 Oct 2022
I imagine how people will be when Spider-Man 2 plays similar to Spider-man :D
Or From Software releases a new Souls based game with the same base 2009 gameplay with the same graphic engine.

It's to similar in Gow R.
Are you going to be ok?

Lord Mittens

Community Cat
1 Jul 2022
Not if you loved GOW 2018 and wanted a lot more of that....

People play Souls games cause they love that gameplay and that approach to story etc.

Coming in to GOWR expecting something totally different when they are just after overhauling everything in the last game....is a bit unreasonable, I feel.
This game is about a grander scale, more content and variety and developing the gameplay on from what 2018 laid the groundwork for.

2018 was the foundations.

And its incredible!

• fire
Reactions: Bryank75

arvfab

Oldest Guard
23 Jun 2022
I played all of them lol

I'm a Souls fans before people even know Souls games existed... I'm part of these 900k guys in US that brought Demon's Souls before no more copies was shipped by Atlus.

I imported the asian version of Demon's Souls before they even announced a port in the west and platinumed all of the From games since then, I agree that the only ones which play differently are Sekiro and Bloodborne.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: ethomaz

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
I imported the asian version of Demon's Souls before they even announced a port in the west and platinumed all of the From games since then, I agree that the only ones which play differently are Sekiro and Bloodborne.
No lies detected ;)

Sekiro even more than Bloodborne but both plays different from the Souls branch: Demon's, Dark 1, Dark 2, Dark 3 and Elden Ring.

And that is not a bad thing at all... people are into that Souls gameplay.

Reactions: arvfab

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
It's not different enough in a single way and that's disappointing.
I played that style out in 2018.
I expected much more from a Sony exclusive and thus far its been a chore to play.
I won't make my full opinion until completion of course.
This is so strange to say, my play style is very different than what it was in 2018.... and I was literally playing 2018 until a few hours before R was released.

Maybe I played it wrong?

Make an agressive build, move more, rely much less on the boy, etc. Not sure what you expected, I'm pleasantly surprised because of the opposite of you, and usually my first playthrough of a hyped game like that is kind of a let down, so I need to replay them to truly enjoy those games.

PlacidusaX

Veteran
Icon Extra
24 Oct 2022
This is so strange to say, my play style is very different than what it was in 2018.... and I was literally playing 2018 until a few hours before R was released.

Maybe I played it wrong?

Make an agressive build, move more, rely much less on the boy, etc. Not sure what you expected, I'm pleasantly surprised because of the opposite of you, and usually my first playthrough of a hyped game like that is kind of a let down, so I need to replay them to truly enjoy those games.
I don't know what to tell you.
But in the similarity department they are so similar that I feel like I'm in 2018 playing DLC for the original.

As I said earlier I won't give a full opinion until completion but because of the above its been a choir as I was done with this in 2018 after fighting those damn Valkyries.

Yobo

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2022
But in the similarity department they are so similar that I feel like I'm in 2018 playing DLC for the original.

As I said earlier I won't give a full opinion until completion but because of the above its been a choir as I was done with this in 2018 after fighting those damn Valkyries.
Expecting them to reboot it after one game is crazy.

For me everything is significantly improved even if the core gameplay loop is similar. Particularly the chains which were a bit underwhelming in 2018. There is a lot more movement and verticality now with an emphasis on moving around the battle stage, and the new shield system puts a greater emphasis on parrying.

The Souls comparisons is accurate because that gameplay loop has been the same since 2009 with minor changes to the emphasis on mechanics like parrying, dodging or jumping

There's also stuff that is entirely new when you get far enough

Reactions: Alabtrosmyster

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Which graphic settlings are you guys using?

I started with Favor Performance with all turned on (High-framerate and VRR) and now I’m playing in Favor Quakity with all turned on.

I can’t tell much the different.

I mean seems like they didn’t improve things in Favor Quality except the little boast in resolution.

A waste of PS5 hardware… any type Ray-tracing in Favor Quality is a big let down too.

Last edited:

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022

I started with Favor Performance with all turned on (High-framerate and VRR) and now I’m playing in Favor Quakity with all turned on.

I mean seems like they didn’t improve things in Favor Quality except the little boat in resolution.

A waste of PS5 hardware… any type Ray-tracing in Favor Quality is a big let down too.
I always use graphics mode/quality in all my games. Did the same for Demon Souls. I'm not sensitive to fps increases or decreases so it doesn't really affect me.

Yobo

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2022

I mean seems like they didn’t improve things in Favor Quality except the little boast in resolution.

I'm in favour performance without high framerate on. The resolution looked a bit too low for my liking in HFR and Performance.

Quality plus HFR (40 FPS) is noticeably smoother than the 30 FPS mode if you have that option on your TV. But I still found 60 fps the best balance

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022

I'm favouring performance. It looks the same and has 60fps. It's not like horizon where the quality mode actually has a visible graphical difference.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Ah I see we’ve reach the point of stupidity where people believe each and every game must require a new engine built ground up and a total reboot of gameplay each and every time.

Ubisoft could use your help. They make the same game 5x a year.

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022

I didn't finish the 2018 game because I got tired of it about 2/3 of the way through. It also never really grabbed me.

I am already enjoying this one more, and I can't really say why. I think the writing is better, the locations already seem better ... and even though it's "the same" by and large, the combat feels like it's hitting a little differently this time. I've already died many times on normal difficultly. It's not "easy."

So I find your take strange. You think this style was "played out" in 2018 and that it's a DLC. Do you know what a sequel is? When did you start playing games? Did you ever play Mega Man 1-6 on the NES? Did you complain about movie sequels being largely the same characters and even story formula?

I think your post is disingenuous in all honesty. No one, and I mean no one, reinvents a game series with every title. In fact, usually game series are never reinvented.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
I switched to quality mode for shits n giggles.

You 30fps folk are outta your minds. Looks straight up like shit in comparison 🤣

Reactions: PlacidusaX

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Why is there an HFR option if there is a favor performance option as well? I have been trying to avoid spoilers so have looked at basically no info on this game. Seems like too many choices in general.

PlacidusaX

Veteran
Icon Extra
24 Oct 2022
I didn't finish the 2018 game because I got tired of it about 2/3 of the way through. It also never really grabbed me.

I am already enjoying this one more, and I can't really say why. I think the writing is better, the locations already seem better ... and even though it's "the same" by and large, the combat feels like it's hitting a little differently this time. I've already died many times on normal difficultly. It's not "easy."

So I find your take strange. You think this style was "played out" in 2018 and that it's a DLC. Do you know what a sequel is? When did you start playing games? Did you ever play Mega Man 1-6 on the NES? Did you complain about movie sequels being largely the same characters and even story formula?

I think your post is disingenuous in all honesty. No one, and I mean no one, reinvents a game series with every title. In fact, usually game series are never reinvented.
I throughly played the 2018 game and am now playing this one. I played enough to make a comparison and have a opinion.

A opinion is strange? Hmm sounds more like not respecting anothers with a dash of salt.

Don't do terrible comparisons to try and discredit my opinion.

Not finishing the 1st and having much to say is lol worthy.

Only improvements to this gamer is the story is moving at a much faster pace and the 3D Audio.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
I switched to quality mode for shits n giggles.

You 30fps folk are outta your minds. Looks straight up like shit in comparison 🤣
It runs over 40fps for me… actually VRR shows framerate sometimes higher than Performance Favor… that is weird.

It plays perfectly fine in Quality Favor.

BTW I just remembered the 360 test.
It takes 2 seconds for the camera so a 360… or maybe eve less.

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022

I went with favor performance, vrr (the default) and I saw no point in the other options, 30 and 40 fps modes feel broken and 60 feels OK, but those extra frames are pretty amazing for a small sacrifice in resolution.

Status
Not open for further replies.