God of War Ragnarök the fastest-selling first party launch game in PlayStation history!

Status
Not open for further replies.
24 Jun 2022
I hope this breaks all their records. I totally think this is the very best game Sony has ever put their name on.

I would be terribly disappointed if something Marvel branded stays on top. Fuck that noise.

Just gonna call it now; whatever records Ragnarok sets, Spiderman 2 will break them next year.

It is what it is. GOW's big (huge, even), but Spiderman is Spiderman.

Now...what about a Spiderman x GOW crossover game though? THAT would be absolutely massive in all respects.

Hezekiah

Veteran
23 Jul 2022
That narrative been killed since Last half of PS3 days. Since then, most heavy hitting ps sp games sell 10 mil plus. Been like that for years. It is what allowed PS to dominate and pivot forward since
Yeah my comment was purely tongue-in-cheek.

Nothing wrong with multiplayer games, but single-player games are the staple of most gamers I know.

• fire
Reactions: Gamernyc78

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
Well deserved, I have not finished, but I have not had that much fun with a game in a long time! Definitely the GOTY!

Money Influencer GIF by Sappy Seals

24 Jun 2022
Also wouldn't make any sense whatsoever, but videogames, am I right.

Hey it still makes more sense than the DBZ vs MK fanfic videos being pushed out there 🤷‍♀️

Celebration time!

Think I will try and get another hard copy at some stage too. Always nice to have a physical version of these incredible games.

Lets get remakes of the first 2 games and the PSP games....and then a couple games in Egypt maybe?

I've seen boxed copies (Launch Edition) with no disc and no digital code reselling on eBay for $20 - $30. It's crazy, I don't think I've ever seen that with any other game. It's a cultural moment at this point.

Been thinking about it but, actually I would be curious to see what a modern Sony studio could with the Mark of Kri IP. How would they re-envision that? Could they? Mark of Kri was basically a proto-GOW, actually, but it never took off the way GOW did.

P

peter42O

Congratulations to Santa Monica Studio!!! God of War Ragnarok is an excellent game and my 2022 game of the year. Well deserved.

• fire
Reactions: Bryank75

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
I’m imagining it’ll get ported to pc when it’s around the 10 to 15 million range.

Depends what kind of console and retail run it has. TLOU2 is on its way to being PS Extra bound with that 7$ sale right now.

I frame the scenario like this because I do believe the biggest deterrent for resisting day one releases on pc is PIRACY and needing to actually have paying customers first.

(That and despite pc players thinking all steam users have next gen capable rigs they surely do fucking not; so they need a few years to catch up… )

Reactions: Alabtrosmyster

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Sony's PC strategy is just fucking them long term.

13.5k peak concurrent. Even Spiderman probably didn't sell that much. I haven't seen the download numbers from piracy sites, but GoW was something like 3:1 if not more.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Umar and Bryank75

Vertigo

26 Jun 2022
Concurrent is inconsequential to single player games.

It’s an indicator of launch hype but it’s also not. 8 hour games are gone in a weekend.

And then there’s the assumption that single player games do well on pc? Doubt.

Concurrent is a good metric for multiplayer but bad for single player; in which revenue generated/sell thru matter.

Vertigo

26 Jun 2022
PS - Miles Morales made sense as a retail dlc to launch the ps5. However now it totally seems like a throwaway release for pc. I’d say it is in fact just that. Should’ve been sold as an add-on to Spider-Man pc for 10 to 20 bucks. I would indeed expect lukewarm performance.

Vertigo

26 Jun 2022
Concurrent is inconsequential to single player games.

I want to elaborate on this. Just from watching these kind of things for awhile now. I have observed that more often than not, take that peak concurrent on launch and multiply it by 3 and you can get an idea of what total day one players and sell thru estimates. Why 3? Peak times based on region across the globe. So there is some discrepancy with global bias.

With that said ain’t no one buying Miles Morales outside the US and Europe mostly.

I’m guessing 70-90k. Under 200k for its first year.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Yeah, well deserved! This 'DLC' is a masterpiece.

Congrats.

I was updating the sales in EU countries and several had Ragnarok over Elden Ring comparing launch alone.
It is still behind CoD, FIFA and Pokemon.

Talking about physical only it did 145k in UK and 90k in Spain at launch... it was amazing.
CoD, FIFA or ER are multiplatform. Are you comparing them in all platforms or only in PS? And are you comparing their launch week of each games or how they were this last week?

I want to elaborate on this. Just from watching these kind of things for awhile now. I have observed that more often than not, take that peak concurrent on launch and multiply it by 3 and you can get an idea of what total day one players and sell thru estimates. Why 3? Peak times based on region across the globe. So there is some discrepancy with global bias.

With that said ain’t no one buying Miles Morales outside the US and Europe mostly.

I’m guessing 70-90k. Under 200k for its first year.
There's no standard way to approximate translate CCU to sales. Using the user reviews you get a somewhat more accurate estimation of sales (in Steam, which traditionally is around 80% of the PC sales).

Like Sackbout it's a full priced port of a spinoff and released in the busiest part of the year regarding releases.

Pretty likely many people want to buy it but will do it later. This month maybe people focused to buy big new games released in recent weeks and left it for later, specially once they reduce its price. In the case of Morales they also released Spider-Man recently, so pretty likely some people want to buy and complete the first game before buying the spin-off.

Morales should have between 100K-200K units sold until now, and will sell more after the holidays once it gets a discount or price cut.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
CoD, FIFA or ER are multiplatform. Are you comparing them in all platforms or only in PS? And are you comparing their launch week of each games or how they were this last week?
All platforms.
GoW numbers in some EU countries are around these multiplatform games... better than ER for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.