God of War Ragnarok with Neutral reviews on Steam because the game can't run on PCs with less than 6 GB of VRAM (Update: Also because of forced PSN)

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
This alone tells you that the majority of people who played GoW 2018 on PC, went ahead and bought themselves a PS5 to play Ragnarok on launch instead of waiting 2 years.
By the time GOW PC was out the PS version had already sold 21+ millions and it was also given away on PS+ and PSNOW so millions more people had access to it. There's way more chances the sales came from there.

GOW PC only sold 871k the first quarter and Ragnarok came out a few months later. In the end they are a meaningless amount compared to all the potential customers already on PS.

I would say 10% or less actually got a PS5.

Yeah, Steam isn't "going down", but Sony unlike the other companies makes games every year and not just annual sports titles or annual shooters. They also have relationships with 3rd parties.

They can etch out their own section of the PC market and run it at a profit instead of a loss like EGS.
22k CCU on launch day and you think Gabe is worried? A no-name indie sells more than this. 3rd-parties won't follow Sony when their own games perform this badly.

They should relaunch Concord exclusively on the Sony Store. They might do 700 CCU this time. The killing blow for Steam 🤭

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Kokoloko

ToTTenTranz

Veteran
Icon Extra
4 Aug 2023
Ubisoft account ok
EA account ok
Battle.net ok
Epic account ok
Bethesda account ok
Xbox account ok

PSN is where these hypocrites draw the line

People who couldn't play an already purchased game because they had no PSN in their country had a more than valid reason to be upset.

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
People who couldn't play an already purchased game because they had no PSN in their country had a more than valid reason to be upset.
Fake concern. Playstation themselves advocating to create accounts from other regions as they make millions out of it.

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
22k CCU on launch day and you think Gabe is worried? A no-name indie sells more than this. 3rd-parties won't follow Sony when their own games perform this badly.

They should relaunch Concord exclusively on the Sony Store. They might do 700 CCU this time. The killing blow for Steam

God of War Ragnarok is the #1 selling game on Steam at the moment.

The reality that maybe you're not willing to grasp is that single player games don't sell THAT well on PC. And there is no incentive for PC players to play it on "Day 1" at full price. They buy games when they go on sale and Ragnarok costs 60 dollars.

These games aren't big day one sellers unless they're truly open world (Cyberpunk) or a soulslike (Elden Ring).

No one said Gabe had to be "worried"

The question is can Sony make 80% plus of its Steam revenue on its own launcher. And most likely it can. 3rd parties will follow if they can get lower royalties as well.

There's a lot of people who just don't understand business. It might take Sony 5-10 years to build up their revenues on PC, but it'll be worth it in the long run not to pay Valve royalties on Helldivers 3 or Destiny 3.

BillyZ

18 Jul 2024

The reality that maybe you're not willing to grasp is that single player games don't sell THAT well on PC. And there is no incentive for PC players to play it on "Day 1" at full price. They buy games when they go on sale and Ragnarok costs 60 dollars.

These games aren't big day one sellers unless they're truly open world (Cyberpunk) or a soulslike (Elden Ring).

No one said Gabe had to be "worried"

The question is can Sony make 80% plus of its Steam revenue on its own launcher. And most likely it can. 3rd parties will follow if they can get lower royalties as well.

There's a lot of people who just don't understand business. It might take Sony 5-10 years to build up their revenues on PC, but it'll be worth it in the long run not to pay Valve royalties on Helldivers 3 or Destiny 3.
You must be a troll. Epic owns the most used game engine and they still couldn't make their store a success. What does Sony has to offer? Nothing they have nothing.

Landiri

12 Sep 2024
You must be a troll. Epic owns the most used game engine and they still couldn't make their store a success. What does Sony has to offer? Nothing they have nothing.
They have games that people pay for, and customers that have money.

Unlike PC freeloader Race...

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024

Epic's biggest mistake was paying for 3rd party games. This is what has made EGS a money pit. That and their free games program to try and entice players.

Fortnite is tremendously popular, but it's only one game. Epic doesn't make enough games to draw people in to buy more than just Fortnite, hence why they HAVE to pay for 3rd party games.

Epic at the very least should have bought Gears of War from Microsoft and continued to make Unreal/Unreal Tournament.

Sony makes MULTIPLE games on a yearly basis. This isn't something that Epic does. Epic literally has one game and outside of EGS its dropping 30% splits to platform holders on every platform including PlayStation.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Exicide

quest4441

Veteran
27 Feb 2024

The reality that maybe you're not willing to grasp is that single player games don't sell THAT well on PC.
My guy wukong sold 15+ million just 2 weeks ago, witcher 3 sold 15+ million, cyberpunk sold 10+ million. Heck even DMC 5 sold 3.5 million, Are you trolling us or do you genuinely have some screws missing?

Reactions: Edmund

Old Gamer

Veteran
Founder
5 Aug 2022
Shut the fuck up Sony won't do shit!

What does Sony has to offer? Nothing they have nothing.

There there. It will be ok.

Stop Motion Animation GIF by LAIKA Studios

Show us in the doll where did Sony touch you.

Reactions: mibu no ookami

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023

Seems it is fixed unofficially. I am sure an official fix will be provided down the line.

The performance comparison between the average gaming PC and the PS5 is a bit disingenuous. Why not compare it against console gaming in general?

The most popular console on the market has less performance than a 5600G APU. In fact one of those APUs can emulate it somewhat.

Half of the console user base still has not migrated from the old consoles. A GTX 1650 was a terrible card but it still more powerful than an Xbox one or a PS4. The old RX580 used in extreme budget builds these days is around series S performance wise but lacks driver support going forward.

The most popular GPU on steam HW survey (which is not perfect BTW) is an RTX 3060 which is around PS5 in performance, with extra bells and whistles like DLSS and better RT.

Also using the PS5 pro to prove a point does not make much sense. The console is not out yet. That's like already counting PCs users that will have a RTX 5060/RX 8600 that will launch in some months. The reality is that most those pro users will sell the PS5 to fund the purchase and help people on last generation consoles to upgrade. Same as people that sell their old GPUs to buy a new one.

Never quite understood the myth that all PC gamers have top of the line HW. Is that a fabrication from console camp like days installing drivers to game/MIT Degree required to game on PC?

The only place where most PC gamers seem to have high end HW is the purple forum. "Runs fine on my 4090, great port" is the usual.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Exicide

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024

Seems it is fixed unofficially. I am sure an official fix will be provided down the line.

The performance comparison between the average gaming PC and the PS5 is a bit disingenuous. Why not compare it against console gaming in general?

The most popular console on the market has less performance than a 5600G APU. In fact one of those APUs can emulate it somewhat.

Half of the console user base still has not migrated from the old consoles. A GTX 1650 was a terrible card but it still more powerful than an Xbox one or a PS4. The old RX580 used in extreme budget builds these days is around series S performance wise but lacks driver support going forward.

The most popular GPU on steam HW survey (which is not perfect BTW) is an RTX 3060 which is around PS5 in performance, with extra bells and whistles like DLSS and better RT.

Also using the PS5 pro to prove a point does not make much sense. The console is not out yet. That's like already counting PCs users that will have a RTX 5060/RX 8600 that will launch in some months. The reality is that most those pro users will sell the PS5 to fund the purchase and help people on last generation consoles to upgrade. Same as people that sell their old GPUs to buy a new one.

Never quite understood the myth that all PC gamers have top of the line HW. Is that a fabrication from console camp like days installing drivers to game/MIT Degree required to game on PC?

The only place where most PC gamers seem to have high end HW is the purple forum. "Runs fine on my 4090, great port" is the usual.

That looks like absolute shit and not even at the level of PS4, which is such a low bar. It's 2024, the PS4 came out in 2013...

What this is evidence of is the hypocrisy of PCMR.

Is an official fix on the way? Doubtful, why put money supporting this low end performance? How many people are you going to sell this to at this performance and quality?

The PS5 Pro isn't out yet, but we know essentially where it will list and we know how much it costs.

Orangee

3 Mar 2024
1650 Lmao, no disrespect but the guy should go back to flipping burgers. Do people really expect to game on xx50 cards? those cards are for csgo and dota 2 at low settings
I have a 1660 and I never had an issue with any game running on my PC. The supposed broken NieR Automata port runs in 60fps on Ultra settings.
It's not only about the GPU, but other components aswell, and a 1650 should be able to handle a ps4 game with no issues.

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
I have a 1660 and I never had an issue with any game running on my PC. The supposed broken NieR Automata port runs in 60fps on Ultra settings.
It's not only about the GPU, but other components aswell, and a 1650 should be able to handle a ps4 game with no issues.

I agree but TBH the 1650 was such a bad card. It only got popular due to the pandemic and because folks have a hard on for anything Nvidia.

The 1660 is significantly above it and it has more VRAM.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
22k CCU on launch day and you think Gabe is worried? A no-name indie sells more than this.
Well... CCUs normally aren't good to estimate sales, particularly for SP games:

image.png

image.png

Regarding user reviews (a better source for Steam sales estimates, but some days of wait are needed because most people doesn't make the review day one) these are the reviews of all the Steam games in Steam history merged by publisher (doesn't include smaller ones like for Sony let's say Aniplex or Sony Pictures): Sony is a top 10 publisher in Steam history with only 18 games while most other top publishers have over 100 games:

image.png

This chart is from some days ago, doesn't include GoWR launch. If instead of games released in all Steam history it would include only the games released this year or month, Sony would be way higher.

Last edited:

BillyZ

18 Jul 2024
Can you stop totally shitposting? Or do we need to go through the process like the last time?
Maybe I didn't explain myself that well but what I was trying to say was
Epic Game Store: they own the biggest game engine and they were offering a discount to publishers and how did that go? It was a disaster and EGS is irrelevant
What would Sony have to offer for their launcher? Just their games and that's not enough. Also remember that mibu was trying to say that even third parties would be on board, completely laughable