God of War Ragnarok with Neutral reviews on Steam because the game can't run on PCs with less than 6 GB of VRAM (Update: Also because of forced PSN)

Exicide

2 Feb 2024
Ubisoft account ok
EA account ok
Battle.net ok
Epic account ok
Bethesda account ok
Xbox account ok

PSN is where these hypocrites draw the line
for the record, Microsoft accounts are what is needed. 96% of Steam is on Windows (as of 2023's report) and pretty much everyone on Windows has a Microsoft account already.

Exicide

2 Feb 2024
Well... CCUs normally aren't good to estimate sales, particularly for SP games:

image.png

image.png

Regarding user reviews (a better source for Steam sales estimates, but some days of wait are needed because most people doesn't make the review day one) these are the reviews of all the Steam games in Steam history merged by publisher (doesn't include smaller ones like for Sony let's say Aniplex or Sony Pictures): Sony is a top 10 publisher in Steam history with only 18 games while most other top publishers have over 100 games:

image.png

This chart is from some days ago, doesn't include GoWR launch. If instead of games released in all Steam history it would include only the games released this year or month, Sony would be way higher.
hard to use reviews as an estimate of sales too because the average consumer doesn't really do reviews, they just play the game or don't play it, CCUs are definitely one of the worst ways to try and gauge what a game sold though.

Yobo

Veteran
29 Jun 2022
Maybe I didn't explain myself that well but what I was trying to say was
Epic Game Store: they own the biggest game engine and they were offering a discount to publishers and how did that go? It was a disaster and EGS is irrelevant
What would Sony have to offer for their launcher? Just their games and that's not enough. Also remember that mibu was trying to say that even third parties would be on board, completely laughable
Sony could offer cross platform royalty discounts for publishers. Every single one of them would bite

Exicide

2 Feb 2024
My guy wukong sold 15+ million just 2 weeks ago, witcher 3 sold 15+ million, cyberpunk sold 10+ million. Heck even DMC 5 sold 3.5 million, Are you trolling us or do you genuinely have some screws missing?
the context is those games aren't years old ports of a console game that is cheaper on the console than it is on the PC, ports from years ago should not be full price, match the price of the console, it doesn't make any sense to charge it as if its a new release.

All those fantastic games sold so well on PC because they were actual new releases, that weren't sold before on another platform.

• thinking_hard
Reactions: Kokoloko

Exicide

2 Feb 2024

Seems it is fixed unofficially. I am sure an official fix will be provided down the line.

The performance comparison between the average gaming PC and the PS5 is a bit disingenuous. Why not compare it against console gaming in general?

The most popular console on the market has less performance than a 5600G APU. In fact one of those APUs can emulate it somewhat.

Half of the console user base still has not migrated from the old consoles. A GTX 1650 was a terrible card but it still more powerful than an Xbox one or a PS4. The old RX580 used in extreme budget builds these days is around series S performance wise but lacks driver support going forward.

The most popular GPU on steam HW survey (which is not perfect BTW) is an RTX 3060 which is around PS5 in performance, with extra bells and whistles like DLSS and better RT.

Also using the PS5 pro to prove a point does not make much sense. The console is not out yet. That's like already counting PCs users that will have a RTX 5060/RX 8600 that will launch in some months. The reality is that most those pro users will sell the PS5 to fund the purchase and help people on last generation consoles to upgrade. Same as people that sell their old GPUs to buy a new one.

Never quite understood the myth that all PC gamers have top of the line HW. Is that a fabrication from console camp like days installing drivers to game/MIT Degree required to game on PC?

The only place where most PC gamers seem to have high end HW is the purple forum. "Runs fine on my 4090, great port" is the usual.
I feel like it is important to note that the HW survey for Steam is specifically an opt-in survey, which is what I assume you mean with the mention that it isn't perfect.

Reactions: Systemshock2023

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
hard to use reviews as an estimate of sales too because the average consumer doesn't really do reviews, they just play the game or don't play it, CCUs are definitely one of the worst ways to try and gauge what a game sold though.
It has been studied several times by several game companies, dev associations and market reseach firms with data from hundreds of games. There's a percentage of the players who makes reviews -which varies depending on the game type/size and the year released- but it's pretty similar and works to make a rough estimate that gives a way better estimate than any other methods.

CCUs doesn't work at all for sales estimates, particularly for SP games. CCUs are useful to know how big is the current active userbase of MP/GaaS titles instead.

What would Sony have to offer for their launcher?
Sony could offer a single store for PC and console, with all games available in both PSN PC and PSN console stores featuring cross-buy, cloud cross-save, shared trophies and friendlist, being able to play the game in the cloud if the user has PS+.

Meaning, publishers/devs would have access to a 123M MAU platform there where players pretty likely would spend more time engaged to their games because once they buy it, unlike in Steam they could be played on a PC, PC handheld, console or the cloud.

For players, buying games on PSN wouldn't have to double dip to get both console and PC versions. And PC players buying there would be building a PS library that would make them more appealing to get a console if they already don't have it. And if players already have it, they already would have a libraty in that store before making any purchase with games available in both.

Last edited:
Reactions: Exicide

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
The Karens of video gaming.
But they stay all day on their desktop and complain about everything but PC gaming.

Sony need to forget about this trash fanbase

Reactions: Puff

quest4441

Veteran
27 Feb 2024
CCUs doesn't work at all for sales estimates, particularly for SP games. CCUs are useful to know how big is the current active userbase of MP/GaaS titles instead.
CCU's sure give an idea about total sales in launch period, unless you count ragnarok selling a million copies on steam for 40% off 6 months down the line. This is not the win you think it is, It will at most make 30-50 million in profits in a couple of years after the dust settles.

This whole pc launch business has been a failure and if Sony has to depend on these meagre steam port profits then they deserve to get laughed out of the industry like xbox.

Please don't post the useless profits slides to counter. SIE and playstation will feel the heat come PS6, they are coasting of the success of the ps4 gen till now. The hardware side is full of competent people and they have absolute imbeciles on the software side headed by herman.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
This whole pc launch business has been a failure
The factual data says it hasn't been a failure at all. All the ports released on PC have been profitable and combined according to Totoki the PC initiative has a great profit margin for them, reason of why they keep doubling down on it.

The yearly revenue they get from PC keeps greatly growing every year, to the point that continuing this trend this fiscal year will be generating them pretty likely over a billion (made over 732M outside PS last FY, $230M the first quarter of the current one).

They already one of the top 10 publishers on Steam history in Steam reviews even if only have there under two dozen games while most other top publishers have over 100 games published there.

The failure is only in your head.

quest4441

Veteran
27 Feb 2024
The factual data says it hasn't been a failure at all. All the ports released on PC have been profitable and combined according to Totoki the PC initiative has a great profit margin for them, reason of why they keep doubling down on it.

The yearly revenue they get from PC keeps greatly growing every year, to the point that continuing this trend this fiscal year will be generating them pretty likely over a billion (made over 732M outside PS last FY, $230M the first quarter of the current one).

They already one of the top 10 publishers on Steam history in Steam reviews even if only have there under two dozen games while most other top publishers have over 100 games published there.

The failure is only in your head.
I am going to screenshot this and keep it for every quarterly report released from now onwards. Lets see how you will try to weasel out after fairgames and marathon bombs. Already looking forward to the 2nd quarter reports, the pc profits will grow according to your logic right?

Every GaaS game Sony will release from now on will bomb on Steam, They are creatively bankrupt so they chase trends from other successful IP's. Looking forward to the numbers of discount monster hunter from Guerrilla too.

Oh I forgot to add where is Destiny 2 on the charts - no 42 on US PSN 🤭

Impulse

21 Apr 2023
22k CCU on launch day and you think Gabe is worried? A no-name indie sells more than this. 3rd-parties won't follow Sony when their own games perform this badly.

They should relaunch Concord exclusively on the Sony Store. They might do 700 CCU this time. The killing blow for Steam 🤭
Think of it this way.

If Ubisoft can find continued meaning in maintaining it's own storefront and servers, then so can Sony (and Microsoft).

Sony breaking away won't be something Valve would fear and cower from, but it can be meaningful to Sony from a profit POV. The other thing Sony can do is battle Microsoft in the PC game subscriptions front as well.

Microsoft breaking away on PC is also a very likely thing imo. They already have a launcher with relatively high MAUs in Battle.net, they have a ton of very PC-relevant franchises rn too, it's a no-brainer for them, they will likely get to work on that after they fully sunset Xbox.

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
Every GaaS game Sony will release from now on will bomb on Steam, They are creatively bankrupt so they chase trends from other successful IP's. Looking forward to the numbers of discount monster hunter from Guerrilla too.

In that case you would be blaming PC gaming for Sony getting late to the party on gaas and releasing shitty DAI games that not even the console audience wants? You said it: creatively bankrupt.

I get that each PC port of single player titles means losing ammo for the war. But the issues PS has have nothing to do with that.
(Lack of communication/clear roadmap, mismanagement of their studios, lack of care for their legacy,abandoning Japan among others)

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Exicide

quest4441

Veteran
27 Feb 2024
In that case you would be blaming PC gaming for Sony getting late to the party on gaas and releasing shitty DAI games that not even the console audience wants? You said it: creatively bankrupt.

I get that each PC port of single player titles means losing ammo for the war. But the issues PS has have nothing to do with that.
(Lack of communication/clear roadmap, mismanagement of their studios, lack of care for their legacy,abandoning Japan among others)
I never blamed the lack of numbers on pc gamers themselves, I blame Sony for bothering to cater to them in the first place. PC players are not worth catering to alienating your console fanbase, if they really want to play PS games they will find a way to buy a playstation just like a switch. A console customer is more valuable than a steamtard.

Launching useless ports and remasters is being creatively bankrupt, they built their business on the back of the console users not steam players. But you do you, shill for a platform that has a banana clicker in top 5 and wallpaper engine in top 10 most played games everyday.

Landiri

12 Sep 2024
I never blamed the lack of numbers on pc gamers themselves, I blame Sony for bothering to cater to them in the first place. PC players are not worth catering to alienating your console fanbase, if they really want to play PS games they will find a way to buy a playstation just like a switch. A console customer is more valuable than a steamtard.
The fact that a game like GTA 6 is not launching on PC day one, is showing how meaningless PC really is, for Premium Games.

Reactions: Bryank75
20 Jun 2022
Salalah, Oman
6zhGBKQpPrlLNI2a7EfALNs1.png

God of War: Ragnarök debuts on PC today with a 22,967 concurrent players peak on Steam so far. God of War (2018) peaked at around 73.5k on Steam at launch.User reviews are mixed with about one third of the reviews complaining about the forced PSN Account requirement.

One of the mai reason gamers are angry is that God of War Ragnarok doesn't run on graphics cards with less than 6 GB of VRAM, mainly affecting GTX 1650 owners

god-of-war-ragnarok-113980.webp
dKtJ6vr.jpeg

rbsm0exqtru31.jpg

PC potato race

59298ca839169.jpeg

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
The fact that a game like GTA 6 is not launching on PC day one, is showing how meaningless PC really is, for Premium Games.
For me, it just highlights the strategic advantage that PlayStation has and they are not pushing it at all...

Instead of holding all the important games on PlayStation and making it unavoidable as a platform for every serious gamer, they just cede ground to platforms like Steam for nothing but pennies in the grand scheme of things.