God of War Ragnarok with Neutral reviews on Steam because the game can't run on PCs with less than 6 GB of VRAM (Update: Also because of forced PSN)

Exicide

2 Feb 2024
Sony does NOT NEED PC.

Full Stop.

Forget about launchers and all that.

Sooner or later Sony will realise these ports are eating into their console business.

They are losing hardware sales, PS Plus subscriptions, 30% revenue loss on Steam and losing 30% on third party sales on people who would otherwise buy a PlayStation.

All that without anything in return. Just peanut sales and piracy.
I am lowkey expecting Sony to start dripping off of Hardware and launch into Software.

quest4441

Veteran
27 Feb 2024
Even if he was considered the father of modern psychology, Freud was talking raw, undiluted bilge. This isn't the 1800s, dawg.

And I was born and raised in the Eastern Bloc, actually.

But it's ok, I don't expect emotionally-illiterate children from backwater welfare states to understand how the emotions they're oblivious to wholly govern their lives.
Ok cartoon

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
God of War Ragnarok is the #1 selling game on Steam at the moment.

The reality that maybe you're not willing to grasp is that single player games don't sell THAT well on PC. And there is no incentive for PC players to play it on "Day 1" at full price. They buy games when they go on sale and Ragnarok costs 60 dollars.

These games aren't big day one sellers unless they're truly open world (Cyberpunk) or a soulslike (Elden Ring).
Number 1 with that low CCU says the game is not selling that well even at #1. If games don't sell well anyway why bother?

God of War is Sony's strongest IP, -25k on launch is just awful. No publisher would look at that and be satisfied. Pathetic number for your biggest IP.

No one said Gabe had to be "worried"

The question is can Sony make 80% plus of its Steam revenue on its own launcher. And most likely it can. 3rd parties will follow if they can get lower royalties as well.

There's a lot of people who just don't understand business. It might take Sony 5-10 years to build up their revenues on PC, but it'll be worth it in the long run not to pay Valve royalties on Helldivers 3 or Destiny 3.
The brand is completely toxic on PC, nobody is going to touch that store. It will make EGS and Origin look like a megahit.

Bad headlines, review-bombing, piracy and controversy. Console sales down every month. No hype for PS5 pro. Great PC strategy 👍

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Umar and Kokoloko

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
I am going to screenshot this and keep it for every quarterly report released from now onwards. Lets see how you will try to weasel out after fairgames and marathon bombs. Already looking forward to the 2nd quarter reports, the pc profits will grow according to your logic right?

Every GaaS game Sony will release from now on will bomb on Steam, They are creatively bankrupt so they chase trends from other successful IP's. Looking forward to the numbers of discount monster hunter from Guerrilla too.

Oh I forgot to add where is Destiny 2 on the charts - no 42 on US PSN 🤭

Please dont tell me the whole internet and media is gonna try and kill Marathon.
Not surprised the haters are gonna try though.

Theres no reason why Marathon should fail or every PS game unless theres a push for it to fail

quest4441

Veteran
27 Feb 2024
Please dont tell me the whole internet and media is gonna try and kill Marathon.
Theres no reason why Marathon should fail
The game not good brother, no internet is required for this one. The playtests have been received poorly, the game is not hitting milestones to release in its scheduled period of 2025. Overall the whole GaaS venture looks grim

arvfab

Oldest Guard
23 Jun 2022
They are not big enough to just go full software, They will never reach the revenues they hit now by just being a games publisher

These people don't get that the only reason PlayStation has been able to put out an amazing quantity of quality titles until recently, was thanks to people spending in their ecosystem. The more good games only available on your platform, the more people willing to join.

The more PlayStation hardware becomes irrelevant, the more their games output will suffer.

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
These people don't get that the only reason PlayStation has been able to put out an amazing quantity of quality titles until recently, was thanks to people spending in their ecosystem. The more good games only available on your platform, the more people willing to join.

The more PlayStation hardware becomes irrelevant, the more their games output will suffer.
and later they will written on something nonsensical even through, it so obvious why it happened.

Reactions: arvfab

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
I am lowkey expecting Sony to start dripping off of Hardware and launch into Software.
That simply wouldn't make much sense, the game development side is very high cost and makes very small margins.

Almost all the profit PlayStation makes is due to selling software, mtx and accessories for their console.

So if they scaled back console sales or exited console space, they wouldn't even be a successful publisher in purely monetary terms.

Not to mention betraying 30 years of work to build up a user base that expects hardware... A console.

Last edited:

quest4441

Veteran
27 Feb 2024

Exactly, the platform business allows them to do these 5+ years development timelines. If they just become a software publisher then they will have to start shitting out yearly games of ubislop calibre to stay in business

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
Sony won't go third party not even Xbox will short term. They can close all their first party studios and still sell 70/90M consoles. Specially if Xbox keeps selling less.

Lots of people like the simplicity of consoles. And third parties are by a long shot the most popular games. Folks aren't as vocal about them as they cannot be weaponized most of the time.

Want to kill PS or Xbox? Don't release EA FC/Madden

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
The game not good brother, no internet is required for this one. The playtests have been received poorly, the game is not hitting milestones to release in its scheduled period of 2025. Overall the whole GaaS venture looks grim
Bungie has yet to produce a bad shooter for me.

If it captures anything of Tarkov and Twisted path renown with Bungie shooting Im all in.

No internet required?

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
That simply wouldn't make much sense, the game development side is very high cost and makes very small margins.

Almost all the profit PlayStation makes is due to selling software, mtx and accessories for their console.

So if they scaled back console sales or exited console space, they wouldn't even be a successful publisher in purely monetary terms.

Not to mention betraying 30 years of work to build up a user base that expects hardware... A console.
The narrative is Xbox is doing it and its a smart choice. Not that they were forced to because they arent selling enough hardware.

Sony isnt helping itself by coping MS moves

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
I meant the online PS haters, GaaS haters etc
Yes unfortunately alot of fans will hate on it just because its an online game and PS haters will use them like fiddle for their own agenda

If i enjoy the game, then Ill enjoy it. If people wanna cancel it, then theres not much I can do. I hate the state of todays gaming and fans tbh

Impulse

21 Apr 2023
Instead of holding all the important games on PlayStation and making it unavoidable as a platform for every serious gamer, they just cede ground to platforms like Steam for nothing but pennies in the grand scheme of things.
I have a big thread in the works about this because this is something I want to discuss at length, but I dont want to spoil it just yet.

But the idea that there is a massive pool of consumers out there that is still actively choosing between platforms and will always just go where the exclusives are is not necessarily true anymore and we may have evidence for it.

• haha
Reactions: Bryank75 and arvfab