God of War Ragnarok with Neutral reviews on Steam because the game can't run on PCs with less than 6 GB of VRAM (Update: Also because of forced PSN)

TrishaCat

Veteran
17 May 2024
These people don't get that the only reason PlayStation has been able to put out an amazing quantity of quality titles until recently, was thanks to people spending in their ecosystem. The more good games only available on your platform, the more people willing to join.

The more PlayStation hardware becomes irrelevant, the more their games output will suffer.
Is this why the best games ever made are by 3rd party publishers like Square Enix

arvfab

Oldest Guard
23 Jun 2022
Is this why the best games ever made are by 3rd party publishers like Square Enix
SE games surely belongs to some of the bests (especially when they make them exclusively for one platform....), but usually Nintendo and PlayStation games are always a few steps above the others.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: voke

Orangee

3 Mar 2024
It's not Steam. NieR Automata had denuvo on launch, which requires a first time online connection.

Edit: Thread didnt fully load for me, as I didnt refresh lol

TrishaCat

Veteran
17 May 2024
It's not Steam. NieR Automata had denuvo on launch, which requires a first time online connection.
I didn't say it was steam, and its not *just* first time online activation. If the game receives an update, it needs to have an online connection again, for example. Which is what happened in that particular instance.
It was to impart an example of having to connect to the internet to play a singleplayer game causing an inconvenience, being someone with first-hand experience with this.
There is no good reason for a singleplayer game to need to connect to the internet to be played. Ever. It is a hindrance that causes paying customers to have a worse experience than pirates.

Orangee

3 Mar 2024
What exactly is embarrassing about cross-platform launches?
More people playing them. Money counters go BRRRRRRRRRRR.

What's embarrassing is all the incessant whinging from a handful of PlayStation weirdos

And you guys are not representative of the broad PS player base, by the way.

The truth is, you perpetually miserable sadboi gooner types who moan about PC ports of your PS games are entirely ruled by your emotions.

In this particular case, you're ruled by your unmet need of significance, status and identity.

Owning a PS exclusive makes you feel like you're part of a group, granting you a sense of belonging or even superiority. And when the games get ported you feel your special little status is being taken from you. You get validation from exclusives.

Essentially, your uncouth behaviour stems from your low self-esteem.

It's obvious to anyone with a bit of emotional intelligence that you struggle with inadequacy and crippling insecurity.

That's why you're so desperate to retain exclusives — your unmet need for control and power; putting down others because you're otherwise powerless.
Embarassment is lying to your long term customers about "Only on PS5", embarassment is steathly removing "Only on Playstation" from boxes of your games and advertisments and then porting to PC, literally scamming your long term audience, by advertising your software as exclusive and then walking back on It randomly one day. Embarassment is having your hardware selling exclusives run and look better on PC than your own hardware.
Embarassment is also sacrificing all of the good will, just to get absolutely peed over by the PC players. Notice how half of the dramas about Sony from the last ~2 years are associated with their PC initiative.

I, as a long time Sony customer, feel scammed and lied to. They sold us this plastic box with the premise of exclusive software. But now apparently, all of the "Only possible on PS5! 🤡" exclusives are working and playing just fine on my GTX 1660, so I am left with a plastic box that is getting a few games per year, where most of them are in absolute dogshit state at launch (FF7 Rebirth, Spiderman 2, Horizon FW was also broken, and FF16 is a blurred 720p mess).

And all of this for what? A 22k all time peak and mixed reviews for their biggest game this console generation (so far), because PC players got mad over the smallest and random thing, as they always get.

The fact, that Hermen Hulst said unironically, that they are porting these games in hopes that It will make people buy a PS5 "for the sequels", and now this Concord crap, all proves that there's no "bigbrain master plan". He is just a dumbass, and no one dares to question him at SIE.

theolreverend

15 Sep 2024
That simply wouldn't make much sense, the game development side is very high cost and makes very small margins.

Almost all the profit PlayStation makes is due to selling software, mtx and accessories for their console.

So if they scaled back console sales or exited console space, they wouldn't even be a successful publisher in purely monetary terms.

Not to mention betraying 30 years of work to build up a user base that expects hardware... A console.
Sony's game sales profit, not revenue, rose by 16% last year to around $2.2 billion.

Their profit margins are ~15-20% — which is great in the gaming industry.

Consoles have never generated significant profits for any major player in the space. Most of the time they've been sold at a loss.

Where has this absurd notion that PC ports will kill PlayStation even come from?

The vast majority of gamers stick to their preferred platforms regardless of exclusives.

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
Sony's game sales profit, not revenue, rose by 16% last year to around $2.2 billion.

Their profit margins are ~15-20% — which is great in the gaming industry.

Consoles have never generated significant profits for any major player in the space. Most of the time they've been sold at a loss.

Where has this absurd notion that PC ports will kill PlayStation even come from?

The vast majority of gamers stick to their preferred platforms regardless of exclusives.

You can thank one game for that.

Helldivers 2.

Not gonna happen every year.

Even then Concord which level the balance books.

Orangee

3 Mar 2024
I didn't say it was steam, and its not *just* first time online activation. If the game receives an update, it needs to have an online connection again, for example. Which is what happened in that particular instance.
It was to impart an example of having to connect to the internet to play a singleplayer game causing an inconvenience, being someone with first-hand experience with this.
There is no good reason for a singleplayer game to need to connect to the internet to be played. Ever. It is a hindrance that causes paying customers to have a worse experience than pirates.
I get what point you are trying to make and I agree, but It doesnt really matter with Denuvo games. You either soak It up and buy the game, or you are not playing at all, as there is no "cracked version". I feel like releasing the game with Denuvo and then removing It after around a year is the best way to do It.
You get to sell the game, and you are not harming preservation of It aswell. It will be fully playable after It gets removed. And It also demotivates potential future Denuvo crackers.

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
Dawg, what? Helldivers 2 launched in 2024. I'm talking about 2023. Stop this doomerist bullshit that's grounded in nonsense.

I’m not a doomerist.

Far from it.

Just think this all out GaaS approach and chucking everything on PC is ridiculous.

Sony should have a better approach. Make PlayStation more desirable and you will eventually get profits.

Rather than short term profits on PC and killing any desire to get a PlayStation.

How many people are not getting a PS5 Pro cause they have PCs which do the same job on Sony games?

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Exicide

2 Feb 2024
I’m not a doomerist.

Far from it.

Just think this all out GaaS approach and chucking everything on PC is ridiculous.

Sony should have a better approach. Make PlayStation more desirable and you will eventually get profits.

Rather than short term profits on PC and killing any desire to get a PlayStation.

How many people are not getting a PS5 Pro cause they have PCs which do the same job on Sony games?
PlayStation is already desirable, what more do you want them to do?? Not everyone can afford PC, PC is expensive, there are low-medium budgets you can make, but the average person isn't going to have a crazy rig.

The idea that PlayStation putting some of their games on PC makes PS less desirable is dumb as of right now because they aren't doing Day & Date (yet) so when another banger does come out PC will likely wait a year or two, a la GoW:R.

Reactions: Systemshock2023

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
Embarassment is lying to your long term customers about "Only on PS5", embarassment is steathly removing "Only on Playstation" from boxes of your games and advertisments and then porting to PC, literally scamming your long term audience, by advertising your software as exclusive and then walking back on It randomly one day. Embarassment is having your hardware selling exclusives run and look better on PC than your own hardware.
Embarassment is also sacrificing all of the good will, just to get absolutely peed over by the PC players. Notice how half of the dramas about Sony from the last ~2 years are associated with their PC initiative.

I, as a long time Sony customer, feel scammed and lied to. They sold us this plastic box with the premise of exclusive software. But now apparently, all of the "Only possible on PS5! 🤡" exclusives are working and playing just fine on my GTX 1660, so I am left with a plastic box that is getting a few games per year, where most of them are in absolute dogshit state at launch (FF7 Rebirth, Spiderman 2, Horizon FW was also broken, and FF16 is a blurred 720p mess).

And all of this for what? A 22k all time peak and mixed reviews for their biggest game this console generation (so far), because PC players got mad over the smallest and random thing, as they always get.

The fact, that Hermen Hulst said unironically, that they are porting these games in hopes that It will make people buy a PS5 "for the sequels", and now this Concord crap, all proves that there's no "bigbrain master plan". He is just a dumbass, and no one dares to question him at SIE.

I'm sorry but you are not PlayStations main target audience. If you have a gaming PC and feel comfortable playing there then you damn well know that buying a home console offers little value to you.

That is why folks in forums whine the most. They are enthusiasts,many with gaming PCs, that know very well that the console becomes a doorstep once the few games they like are ported. That's why they wear them as badges of honour.

I wonder why always the console audience has such a toxic view on things as in progress is made not by truly adding value but by restricting content from others. You need that content to be restricted to feel better about your purchase.

I couldn't care less if valve decides to release their games on consoles. In fsct I would love them to do that as long as it doesn't interfere with the PC version much. Same as for all other gsmes not on consoles.

Why? Because I know that PC,as a platform is the best place to play videogames to me. I enjoy playing games on PC, the flexibilities and possibilities of the platform, while a subset of PS users PUTS UP WITH PS to play a handful of games.

I understand how you feel but maybe think you are not modern Sony's target audience. Folks that play FUT, COD,Minecraft and Fortnite are.

If PS were truly for enthusiasts and old hardcore fans they would have develop emulators for their prior systems, port their back catalog abd stop pretending ps started in 2016, release a PS2 mini and many other things.

Instead they paint a console gray and call it a day. "Muh PS1 nostalgia" You like PS1? Bring back Slypon Filter, Cool boarders, Twisted Metal.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Exicide

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
PlayStation is already desirable, what more do you want them to do?? Not everyone can afford PC, PC is expensive, there are low-medium budgets you can make, but the average person isn't going to have a crazy rig.

The idea that PlayStation putting some of their games on PC makes PS less desirable is dumb as of right now because they aren't doing Day & Date (yet) so when another banger does come out PC will likely wait a year or two, a la GoW:R.

Playstation is less desirable and if Sony keep going this route eventually it will be on the same level as Microsoft.

I have nothing against PC or GaaS but there are better ways to do things.

Right now Sony has chucked all their games on PC including platformers like Sackboy and Ratchet.

Yet the only games they needed to port were Demons Souls and Bloodborne. Thats all.

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Exicide

2 Feb 2024
Playstation is less desirable and if Sony keep going this route eventually it will be on the same level as Microsoft.

I have nothing against PC or GaaS but there are better ways to do things.

Right now Sony has chucked all their games on PC including platformers like Sackboy and Ratchet.

Yet the only games they needed to port were Demons Souls and Bloodborne. Thats all.
Sackboy and Ratchet did terribly last I checked (I could be wrong), it's rather annoying how they fail to realize what PC wants most, which is Bloodborne and Demon's Souls. Honestly though, a remastered LittleBigPlanet series would be a great addition to PS, I remember playing all of those games on my PS3 years ago.

They have the easiest money-maker right under their nose and they're too nose-blind to smell it.

Reactions: Muddasar

Orangee

3 Mar 2024
I'm sorry but you are not PlayStations main target audience. If you have a gaming PC and feel comfortable playing there then you damn well know that buying a home console offers little value to you.

That is why folks in forums whine the most. They are enthusiasts,many with gaming PCs, that know very well that the console becomes a doorstep once the few games they like are ported. That's why they wear them as badges of honour.

I wonder why always the console audience has such a toxic view on things as in progress is made not by truly adding value but by restricting content from others. You need that content to be restricted to feel better

How you see things heavily depends on where you 'sit'. It's easy for you to say, as you are getting the best deal here, so of course It's in your interest for this to keep going, but that's not how console gamers are feeling.
I play mostly on console and I dont really see a GTX 1660 as a 'gaming rig', not anymore anyways. It runs most stuff in a stable framerate but It's not close to ideal.
I have made the decision to buy the PS5 due to the comfort of play, disc gaming and of course exclusives. The first two were already mostly fulfilled by my PS4, so they needed a carrot on the stick to make me buy a PS5, and they successfuly did It.
The issue here is that they advertised these products as exclusives. They said that it's not going to come out anywhere else, but 2 yearslater, out of nowhere they change their strategy with theiralready announced and sold products. They have treated their customers with absolute disrespect. If they said that all of the games will come to PC after 2 years of launch back when the PS5 was releasing, then it would have been a fair deal and I wouldnt care. I just wouldnt buy It and wouldnt invest in their ecosystem.

It's not a toxic way to look at things, It's absolutely fair to expect them to be exclusives, as that's what they fucking advertised themselves lol
I couldn't care less if valve decides to release their games on consoles. In fsct I would love them to do that as long as it doesn't interfere with the PC version much. Same as for all other gsmes not on consoles.

Why? Because I know that PC,as a platform is the best place to play videogames to me. I enjoy playing games on PC, the flexibilities and possibilities of the platform, while a subset of PS users PUTS UP WITH PS to play a handful of games.

I understand how you feel but maybe think you are not modern Sony's target audience. Folks that play FUT, COD,Minecraft and Fortnite are.

If PS were truly for enthusiasts and old hardcore fans they would have develop emulators for their prior systems, port their back catalog abd stop pretending ps started in 2016, release a PS2 mini and many other things.

Instead they paint a console gray and call it a day. "Muh PS1 nostalgia" You like PS1? Bring back Slypon Filter, Cool boarders, Twisted Metal.

1. Valve doesnt have any exclusives, most of their games already came out somewhere else at some point.
2. Valve never advertised their products as 'PC exclusives', like Sony did. If Sony didnt lie, but were honest, then I would not mind It.
3. If you decide that your target audience are people playing fifa and fortnite, then good luck, because you will loose all the people who care enough to support your movie games and experimental stuff, which will force you to compete with the huge PC market, where your movie games doesnt seem to be as apealing, as on console.

No one expects Sony to bring back old IPs from the 90s to make crappy reboots. Just make exclusive software, treat your customers fair, and god damn annouce your games.

theolreverend

15 Sep 2024

Look, I understand where this feeling of betrayal is coming from. As a long-term PS player, you got to play a bunch of exclusives for years before they eventually got ported. Your PS5 runs rings around a GTX 1660, let's not be absurd here — that card can barely hold a steady 60 FPS at 1080p/low settings in Ghost of Tsushima. And I'm sorry, I have no idea what you mean by "sacrificing all the goodwill" and "getting peed over by PC players."

But the main thing here is that it's not a betrayal, it's evolution. Sony's move to PC isn't about abandoning PlayStation players. It's about strengthening their brand and broadening their fan base; It's about more revenue.

So while I do agree with you that the industry itself is an absolute shambles, I cannot agree that it has anything to do with PC ports because it's nonsensical. The industry is a wreck because of shareholder capitalism and their monstrous CEOs pulling every dirty move to fleece players, regardless of how many IPs or studios it hurts. Just look at Arkane Studios being forced to create Redfall or Homeworld 3's art direction — all decisions made by finance-brained corporate bros.

However, demonising PC players for their gripes is not constructive and these fears that PlayStation will die because they're axing exclusivity are simply unfounded. Yes, Hulst is a dipshit for thinking exclusives and their sequels would motivate people to switch platforms. This has never been a thing and never will be. I've been a PC player almost my entire life. I can easily afford a PS5 or a PS5 pro right now. I have a TV. I simply don't want to play with a controller. Meanwhile, my lawyer buddy hates playing at his desk and has been on PlayStation for over 10 years. He can't be bothered with the complexities of PC gaming.

theolreverend

15 Sep 2024
I’m not a doomerist.

Far from it.

It makes no sense to try and make a profit from console sales if:
  1. historically it's never been profitable — both PS and Xbox have almost always been sold at a loss
  2. it's way more profitable to focus on making games
And launching your games on multiple platforms will never kill anyone's desire to buy a PlayStation, assuming they wanted one to begin with.

I for one will never buy a PlayStation. I never have and would rather miss out on games than be forced to play them with a controller.

Meanwhile, I have friends who would never want to complicate their lives with PC gaming and they just hate playing at a desk. They want the couch + controller experience. Besides, you'd have to pay at least 2-3x the price of a PS5 to get an equivalent PC. How many gamers do you think can afford that? Over 55% of the ~130 million monthly active Steam players barely have a GTX 1060 or RTX 3060, 16 GB of DDR4 RAM and a 1080p 60 Hz display.

So I suggest you stop worrying about this because even if PS Studios games start releasing day-and-date on both platforms, it will never kill people's desire to buy a PlayStation.

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
This PC port initiative was meant for people that would otherwise never spend in the PS ecosystem.

Sony is willing to lose users that buy a ps for exclusives but don't do their main gaming there. Those aren't high value customers. This was explained like 5 years ago when HZD was announced. All that "we want non PS users to see what their are missing" was to soften the blow to warriors.

By the time you stopped writing your rant in social media Johny MC Casual, PlayStations bread and butter customer spent more money on shark cards, v bucks or ultimate team cards, than a warrior in a single player exclusive. And guess what, they did NOTHING to earn that money.

With exclusives it's either you have a LOT: as did Sony from PS1 through PS3 or you might as well dont. You can't base your business in people buying hardware every 8 years for 4 or 5 games at most. Which they might get used or extremely cheap as they will be late adopters.

Last edited: