GSD European sales October 2023 - PS5#1(+143%) NSW#2(-20%) XBS#3(-52%) / EA FC24 #1, AC Mirage#2, SM2#3

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
I love how these clowns keep coping by spamming an out of context Yoshida quote 😂 you can't grow your user count without selling more consoles.

Msft admitted that almost no one uses xCloud, PC GamePass has pretty much reached its limit since most PC gamers are loyal to Steam or just pirate. So the only avenue left for growth is the console.

laynelane

Veteran
14 Jul 2022
I love how these clowns keep coping by spamming an out of context Yoshida quote 😂 you can't grow your user count without selling more consoles.

Msft admitted that almost no one uses xCloud, PC GamePass has pretty much reached its limit since most PC gamers are loyal to Steam or just pirate. So the only avenue left for growth is the console.

The constant attempts to redefine the "metric" of success starts right at the top with MS and their engagement bs. I've seen this line of thinking in other comments and posts too (elsewhere from here). Since XBox cannot "win", then lets redefine the parameters of success and accuse the market leader of falling behind. It's quite transparent and not a good look for XBox. I can only assume MS believes these takes are helping in some way, but they just come across as pathetic. I would not be surprised if this just further alienates people from the brand, as well.

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
Since XBox cannot "win", then lets redefine the parameters of success and accuse the market leader of falling behind. It's quite transparent and not a good look for XBox.
Well said....Halo Infinite and Forzas 30 million "players" are more impressive and successful than Ragnarok getting "only " 11m sales....
I can only assume MS believes these takes are helping in some way, but they just come across as pathetic.
Honestly, I wouldn't even be surprised if they're doing this because they know Satya, Brad, and Amy don't know anything about gaming. It's the only way to make the brand look good and it probably fools other clueless investors and board members as well.
outdated?
niche?

What is wrong with green rats?

images
Cry Love GIF by Pudgy Penguins

laynelane

Veteran
14 Jul 2022
Honestly, I wouldn't even be surprised if they're doing this because they know Satya, Brad, and Amy don't know anything about gaming. It's the only way to make the brand look good and it probably fools other clueless investors and board members as well.

I think it's just a further extension of their corporate mentality. Remember when the 'good guy Phil' and 'consumer friendly MS' images fell apart during the FTC trial? They can spend Sony out of business being the biggest example. So many acquisition targets designed to remove choice from consumers, as well. Aside from that, there's the EEE mantra of the corporation and the push for their own customers to evangelize. That's what people like colteastwood have done - evangelized and that's what they're encouraged to do by MS. It's no mistake that he's been invited to functions and met the XBox higher-ups. Probably gets a lot of early access to products and free swag too. It's just that as MS' mindshare continues to dwindle, people like him look more and more desperate and out of touch. And we notice because most of us are not willing to trade our dignity to be a corporate lapdog.

Basically, MS has cultivated that kind of mindset in their fans. In a world where they're number one, it makes sense (although it's a really scummy way to look at people) but they are most decidedly not at the top in gaming so it really stands out in the likes of colteastwood, timdog, etc.

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
I think it's just a further extension of their corporate mentality. Remember when the 'good guy Phil' and 'consumer friendly MS' images fell apart during the FTC trial? They can spend Sony out of business being the biggest example. So many acquisition targets designed to remove choice from consumers, as well. Aside from that, there's the EEE mantra of the corporation and the push for their own customers to evangelize. That's what people like colteastwood have done - evangelized and that's what they're encouraged to do by MS. It's no mistake that he's been invited to functions and met the XBox higher-ups. Probably gets a lot of early access to products and free swag too. It's just that as MS' mindshare continues to dwindle, people like him look more and more desperate and out of touch. And we notice because most of us are not willing to trade our dignity to be a corporate lapdog.

Basically, MS has cultivated that kind of mindset in their fans. In a world where they're number one, it makes sense (although it's a really scummy way to look at people) but they are most decidedly not at the top in gaming so it really stands out in the likes of colteastwood, timdog, etc.
Phil was never a good guy to me, always knew he was a scummy snake oil salesman. But the fact that the entire media just swept all those leaked email under the rug says a lot....xbox tax my ass 😒 Phil and Matt should've been public enemy #1 in the gaming industry after those emails came out but no one seems to care. And yes, it's insane to me that Xbox actually associates with and encourages toxic pricks like colt, timdog, king david, Jez, etc and flies them out to events. Those are the last people you want representing your brand.

The entire leadership is a joke, they all should've been fired but instead they've been promoted....

Reactions: laynelane

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com

They don't want the 300 million hardcore gamers, they are aiming for a much bigger market... the several trillion non-gamers.

They really want to somehow count all of the non-gamers in the world as their customers. They have increased R&D spending to see how they can spin enough to make this happen.

laynelane

Veteran
14 Jul 2022
Phil was never a good guy to me, always knew he was a scummy snake oil salesman. But the fact that the entire media just swept all those leaked email under the rug says a lot....xbox tax my ass 😒 Phil and Matt should've been public enemy #1 in the gaming industry after those emails came out but no one seems to care. And yes, it's insane to me that Xbox actually associates with and encourages toxic pricks like colt, timdog, king david, Jez, etc and flies them out to events. Those are the last people you want representing your brand.

The entire leadership is a joke, they all should've been fired but instead they've been promoted....

I've always got the sense the MS views the general public as gullible and dumb. This goes back decades, for me, in how they handled Windows and their other software applications. They'd rather force their products on people and exert control as opposed to offer a competitive and attractive product that people want to buy. They've succeeded in that area and now their software is the default setting for many people and businesses. It should never have been allowed to happen, but it was.

I think where they're running into issues now is that gamers, as a whole, are not gullible and dumb. Many of us are very knowledgeable, educated, and passionate about our hobby. It's why MS doesn't get that their most notorious, evangelistic influencers are not going to draw people to their brand. As well, their heavy-handed approach to reshaping the gaming industry to one where they're in control is not resonating with the majority (declining console sales, stagnating Game Pass sub rates, loss of market share even in countries they were once strong in, etc.) and the decline has only sped up with their acquisitions. XBox, as a brand, is not attractive to many people on a world-wide scale. That's the result of continuing on with their current leadership and strategy. I say let them have at it. I have no tolerance for that kind of arrogance and, petty as it may be, am enjoying seeing the results of it.

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
I've always got the sense the MS views the general public as gullible and dumb. This goes back decades, for me, in how they handled Windows and their other software applications. They'd rather force their products on people and exert control as opposed to offer a competitive and attractive product that people want to buy. They've succeeded in that area and now their software is the default setting for many people and businesses. It should never have been allowed to happen, but it was.

I think where they're running into issues now is that gamers, as a whole, are not gullible and dumb. Many of us are very knowledgeable, educated, and passionate about our hobby. It's why MS doesn't get that their most notorious, evangelistic influencers are not going to draw people to their brand. As well, their heavy-handed approach to reshaping the gaming industry to one where they're in control is not resonating with the majority (declining console sales, stagnating Game Pass sub rates, loss of market share even in countries they were once strong in, etc.) and the decline has only sped up with their acquisitions. XBox, as a brand, is not attractive to many people on a world-wide scale. That's the result of continuing on with their current leadership and strategy. I say let them have at it. I have no tolerance for that kind of arrogance and, petty as it may be, am enjoying seeing the results of it.
It's not just gaming, almost every single one of their venture outside of Windows and Azure has been a colossal failure. They didn't even create Windows, just bought it and took credit for it, and they've barely improved it in almost 40 years. Azure isn't even good either, Microsoft just bribed businesses, undercut competitors and gave other incentives. But that can't last forever and it's why they've lost a ton of market share to AWS and will continue to do so. Now they're banking heavily on AI to save them, I'm glad they weren't able to get the OpenAI team.

That's the result of continuing on with their current leadership and strategy. I say let them have at it. I have no tolerance for that kind of arrogance and, petty as it may be, am enjoying seeing the results of it.
It's not petty, I welcome competition but if their only way of "competing" is by buying everything, then the sooner they're gone, the better. I just hope someone better comes in to fill the void.

laynelane

Veteran
14 Jul 2022
It's not just gaming, almost every single one of their venture outside of Windows and Azure has been a colossal failure. They didn't even create Windows, just bought it and took credit for it, and they've barely improved it in almost 40 years. Azure isn't even good either, Microsoft just bribed businesses, undercut competitors and gave other incentives. But that can't last forever and it's why they've lost a ton of market share to AWS and will continue to do so. Now they're banking heavily on AI to save them, I'm glad they weren't able to get the OpenAI team.

It's not petty, I welcome competition but if their only way of "competing" is by buying everything, then the sooner they're gone, the better. I just hope someone better comes in to fill the void.

Phew, that's quite a list. And it doesn't even take into account all the competitor's products they killed off. Some great products that couldn't withstand the underhanded tactics used by MS. I'm very thankful they didn't enter the gaming sphere until there were already strong competitors such as Sony and Nintendo and later Steam. I believe this alone has prevented them from enforcing their corporate 'values' on this hobby we all care about so much. It's become increasingly apparent that the XBone reveal was just a glimpse of what we would have had to deal with if they were ever in a dominant position. That's when the corporate mentality of MS first really materialized in the XBox division and has continued ever since. The action of buying everything is just an extension of that.

I'm with you that I'd rather they be gone than continue with this. And, at this point, I believe anyone would be better than a soulless corporation with a gaming exec who defines a "career moment" as acquisitions while completely ignoring the creation of great games.

DForce

24 Jun 2022

It's funny to see these guys flip back and forth.

• haha
Reactions: JAHGamer

riesgoyfortuna

Veteran
4 Jul 2022
They don't want the 300 million hardcore gamers, they are aiming for a much bigger market... the several trillion non-gamers.

They really want to somehow count all of the non-gamers in the world as their customers. They have increased R&D spending to see how they can spin enough to make this happen.
the wanted the same with kinect and we all know how it ended

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022

Being a publisher is the answer there because they can't take over every form factor a computer that can play video games could have (phone, tablet, console, handheld, basic PC, gaming PC, etc). All they have is PC and Xbox, neither of which makes them a dominant player in the gaming space.

Loy310

Veteran
14 Aug 2022
XB is prolly considered JUNK in the EU, i would not even take one for free, don't see the point in owning one.

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
XB is prolly considered JUNK in the EU, i would not even take one for free, don't see the point in owning one.
It is useless piece of hardware. EU is more concervative with their money, less tolerance to threw money away.