(Guesstimate) Sony to ship 18.5 million PS5s next fiscal year, will push PS5 total to 81.9 million

Plextorage

Veteran
26 Feb 2023
PS5 is a direct follow up to the PS4 with no excuses to sell less. The PS3 was a huge failure even if it was a good console.

You guys can't even entertain the possibility of Sony failing, to you Sony is flawless. So even when someone makes a guess that PS5 sales are going collapse you want to spin that as a good thin if it were to happen.

It's on pace to easily beat the PS4, I don't understand why people here think that selling less than the PS4 would be a good outcome it would mean a drastic decrease in sales in the upcoming years and if anything the Switch showed that these days a console can just keep selling even when it's old.

It would show they are only dominant in a shrinking market, because Xbox Series will sell considerably less than the Xbox One. All PlayStation has is their console business they are pathetic when it comes to PC and cloud.

I'm was referred to your logic. That's all, succesor or not

No one expected PS4 to outsell the PS2 though lol. Expecting the PS5 to outsell the PS4 however? Almost everyone expected it. It can still happen but if they end up short it should definitely be viewed as a failure on Sony's end especially with their main rival imploding.

There is just no excuse since at this point it already is tracking above the PS4 even with the Covid holding it back early on. Xbox bombed, Nintendo isn't competing directly, there is just no excuses beyond Sony failing to take advantage of all the momentum they had.

The PS5 is even going to have a new GTA something the PS4 didn't have.

Even if PS5 sell less than a PS4 by a few millions, it is still great result. Not easy to have a 100+ mil. platform trophy. You two are fucked up at least. Embarrassment for Sony. LOL. Sony surely would appreciate if you work form them. :/

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Like i've said above, PS4 didn't outsold PS2, it is an embarrassment. :/
PS4 had to face components shortages, big inflation and price of components increased, so couldn't apply price cuts as aggresive as they did with PS2, which went down to $99.

It also had to face Switch selling 133M until now (will sell more) instead of Gamecube+GBA who sold on their entire lifetime 22+82M(104M) and the XBO, which sold 58M+ insted of the OG Xbox, which sold 24M.

And well, PS4 still isn't discontinue, may continue being sold during a year or two more. It may end selling around 130M. PS2 is the best selling console ever with over 155M and PS4 is the 2nd best selling console ever, not an embarassment at all.

After also being held back by chips shortages, PS5 is making a comeback and so far already must be launch aligned selling better than PS4 again. Doing 25M this FY and 18.5M the next one would be ahead of PS2 too.

I think it's more likely that they'll do something like 23M this year and 22M the next one. They may miss their target for a little for this year but the next one I expect to perform almost the same due to delayed demand plus new fans got via PC/China friendly games and deals/movies/tv shows.

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
Even if PS5 sell less than a PS4 by a few millions, it is still great result. Not easy to have a 100+ mil. platform trophy. You two are fucked up at least. Embarrassment for Sony. LOL. Sony surely would appreciate if you work form them. :/

It was basically guaranteed PS5 will sell over 100 million in this case yes it was a easy feat, they'd have to royally fuck up to not get there. Not eclipsing the PS4 sales will be a failure. And I think given all the nonsense they've been doing the past couple years, yeah we'd definitely do a better job than quite a few higher ups 😬

Reactions: Nhomnhom

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
:ROFLMAO:Even if PS5 sell less than a PS4 by a few millions, it is still great result. Not easy to have a 100+ mil. platform trophy. You two are fucked up at least. Embarrassment for Sony. LOL. Sony surely would appreciate if you work form them. :/
Looks like you are the one that maybe works for Sony to explain why you are sucking up to them so much.

The PS5 ending up with less sales than the PS4 and you trying to pretend it's a great result? :ROFLMAO:

The entire company dependent on PlayStation success and yet they fail to have better results despite everything being in their favor?

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Alright ppl we are just discussing sales, let's not get offensive. Just light hearted talks and opinions.

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
It held it back for two whole years
It already is tracking above the PS4 so you can't use Covid as an excuse for what is to come. If it completely loses momentum it's on Sony.

This prediction isn't going to happen to begin with, I don't get why you guys are so committed to making up excuses (well, I actually get it, Sony has to be right even in a hypothetical situation where they fail).

Thirty7ven

30 Dec 2023
PS5 second half of the generation basically guarantees it will be bigger than PS4, specially with a declining Xbox.

GTAV + Sony first party finally hitting its stride? Damage will be done.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Umar

Plextorage

Veteran
26 Feb 2023
Not eclipsing the PS4 sales will be a failure.

Looks like you are the one that maybe works for Sony to explain why you are sucking up to them so much.

The PS5 ending up with less sales than the PS4 and you trying to pretend it's a great result?

You two are really messed up. Trust me, if PS5 doesn’t outsell PS4, there will be no PS6. So, i guess you will be satisfied. :/

Last edited:

Plextorage

Veteran
26 Feb 2023
Whether they are right or wrong we should stay away from using words like "stupidity" when responding to others opinions. If thy are not attacking you with caustic language tgers no need for tht.
Alright ppl we are just discussing sales, let's not get offensive. Just light hearted talks and opinions.

What's the point of discussing someone's opinion when their opinion is totally wrong in every way and pushing it relentlessly here. That's some Xbox level of stupidity and we don't need it here.

Last edited:

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
You two are really messed up. Trust me, if PS5 doesn’t outsell PS4, there will be no PS6. So, i guess you will be satisfied. :/
If the PS5 fails to outsell the PS4 it will still be a failure on their end. Nice chatting 🤭

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Nhomnhom

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
I just don't understand why they would sell under 20 in a year preceding GTA6 launch and with so much momentum.

If this is real, serious questions need to be asked.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Umar and Danja

Plextorage

Veteran
26 Feb 2023
If the PS5 fails to outsell the PS4 it will still be a failure on their end. Nice chatting 🤭

@Gamernyc78 told ya in the post above.

PS4 had to face components shortages, big inflation and price of components increased, so couldn't apply price cuts as aggresive as they did with PS2, which went down to $99.

Comparison was just the pure numbers. But since we are comparing side effects... PS4 didn't faced components shortages, it was just that Sony could satisfied the demand in first 6 months. Production was fine till Sony upped the PS4 production up to 2 milliom units per month to satisfy the demand. PS4 was launched in SIGNIFICANTLY more countries than PS2. PS2 was launched in Japan first ( Mar. 2000), then NA ( Oct 2000) and EU ( Nov. 2000). And even then PS2 faced shortages when launched outside of Japan.

And well, PS4 still isn't discontinue, may continue being sold during a year or two more. It may end selling around 130M. PS2 is the best selling console ever with over 155M and PS4 is the 2nd best selling console ever, not an embarassment at all.

PS4 won't reach 130 mil., maybe 119. 1 million produced PS4s was for the whole 2022.

PS2 is the best selling console ever with over 155M and PS4 is the 2nd best selling console ever, not an embarassment at all.

Sony's 2ne best console or overall?

Reactions: Gamernyc78

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
I just don't understand why they would sell under 20 in a year preceding GTA6 launch and with so much momentum.

While this is just an guesstimate from an outside source, if they go below 20 million for their own internal forecast after March, then yes serious questions needs to be asked.

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.

Saturation is a thing.

They have the data and analytics at hand to know what they can expect based on pricing plans and other variables.

The sky is not falling, folks. Get it together.

Plextorage

Veteran
26 Feb 2023
Pretty sure you're the only one in this thread who's throwing out your little jabs. But I guess, inward self awareness isn't your strong forte after all.

I'm not the only one here who mocked your "opinion" here. :/. Talking about self awareness. :/

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022

Sony forecast for FY23 is 25M.
Toyo Securities own guesstimation, not a Sony forecast for FY24 (not FY23) is 18.5M.

I assume that their reasoning is that like all the other consoles PS5 yearly sales would make a curve, and after its peak year sales would keep decreasing.

As I remember, the peak year of a console traditionally varies between the 3rd and 4th FY, and in some rare exception (as happened with Switch due to the covid bump + the other consoles getting shortages due to lack of chips) the 5th.

So Toyo considers that the PS5 peak year would be the 4th FY and would decline after it. I think there are many reasons to think that the decline won't be that big, and that even the peak year could be the 5th year due to the combination of different things:
  • There's still delayed demand not only due to lack of chips but because due to financial crysis many people got it later than they desired
  • Sony may increase PS5 hardware production
  • There's still a huge PS4 active userbase getting crossgen games who may migrate faster next year as soon as they stop getting crossgen games and all main releases are current gen only
  • GTA6 anticipation + typical great 1st+3P 2024-2025 lineup
  • Late 2024 and early 2025 Sony releases like Concord, Marathon or Cory's new IP, not available in PS4 could become a big hit and would make people move to PS5
  • New fans made -specially in Asia- via 2024 and early 2025 releases of tv show / movie / anime adaptations, PC ports. PS cloud gaming outside console or China/India Hero projects and deals with Asian studios would bring extra people
As I remember Sony shows their FY report around May, and this is where they'd announce Sony's sales for the current FY23 and their forecast for FY24.

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
I'm not the only one here who mocked your "opinion" here. :/. Talking about self awareness. :/
Imagine thinking I log into this site to really care if online strangers mock my comment or not lol. I stand by anything I say in here.

• thisistheway
Reactions: Gods&Monsters