Helldivers 2 passed Destiny 2 all time CCU count. Top Seller all around on Steam |UP|Beats Dragon’s Dogma 2 to Reclaim #1 spot on Steam.

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
Who knew people wanted co-op games so they can play with their friends and be goofy as well? And not have to worry about a sweaty lobby or playing field.

Those Sweaty nerds really ruined COD for me, especially with the SBM. I just want to come home after work and relax while gaming

Reactions: Danja
26 Nov 2023
Tbh y'all are celebrating way too early. While it's necessary and good to have strong launch sales, whether the game is a success will come down to how strong post-launch support is. That will be the determining factor in seeing whether sony gets it or not. That said I'm having a lot of fun so far so it looks promising. Tbh letting word of mouth carry the game rather than a big traditional marketing push seems to have been the right call so that would be an indication that Sony does know what it's doing.

Yeah, GaaS success is in long term player retention that said many people doubted it would launch to ANY fanfare so it’s nice to see the game doing well right now at least. Give it a better chance of finding a dedicated community. I don’t think the devs were even prepared for this many people lol

• Shake
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Yobo

Veteran
29 Jun 2022
once xbox leaves the console space i expect sony games day and date pc
Have my doubts

Let's say Spiderman 3 is day and date. It does 5 million first week like SM2 but now it's 50% on PC. Thats $52 million at 30% share they've just handed over to Valve for nothing. The only way it would be worthwhile is if the sales go up by more than what they would be losing when they get 100% revenue share and console sales

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023
Yeah, GaaS success is in long term player retention that said many people doubted it would launch to ANY fanfare so it’s nice to see the game doing well right now at least. Give it a better chance of finding a dedicated community. I don’t think the devs were even prepared for this many people lol

At least Helldivers 2 has an upfront cost and is not F2P. They're not 100% reliant on hoping people stick around and buying MTX items. Even if the game doesn't have the best staying power, the studio will be fine.

Have my doubts

Let's say Spiderman 3 is day and date. It does 5 million first week like SM2 but now it's 50% on PC. Thats $52 million at 30% share they've just handed over to Valve for nothing. The only way it would be worthwhile is if the sales go up by more than what they would be losing when they get 100% revenue share and console sales

Small correction here: https://steamcommunity.com/groups/steamworks/announcements/detail/1697191267930157838

With that in mind, we’ve created new revenue share tiers for games that hit certain revenue levels. Starting from October 1, 2018 (i.e. revenues prior to that date are not included), when a game makes over $10 million on Steam, the revenue share for that application will adjust to 75%/25% on earnings beyond $10M. At $50 million, the revenue share will adjust to 80%/20% on earnings beyond $50M. Revenue includes game packages, DLC, in-game sales, and Community Marketplace game fees. Our hope is this change will reward the positive network effects generated by developers of big games, further aligning their interests with Steam and the community.

TL;DR
Steam takes 30% until 10M then they take 25% up until 50M in which case they take 20% from that point on.

But yeah, like you say, there's a reason PlayStation has not dove balls deep putting everything Day 1 on PC, it's because losing significant console sales lead to a pretty substantial loss of revenue.
One only has to think about Fornite/Roblox/Genshin/CoD/GTA/etc... bucks they lose if more and more users choose not to buy the box and spend their money elsewhere.
I don't recall if PlayStation has ever shared the average spending per user in one generation or per year, but I imagine it to be quite high.

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
At least Helldivers 2 has an upfront cost and is not F2P. They're not 100% reliant on hoping people stick around and buying MTX items. Even if the game doesn't have the best staying power, the studio will be fine.

Exactly what I was thinking.

HD2 is not dependent on long term player retention because it costs 40 pounds.

It is not a F2P game and dependent on micro transactions.

Last edited:

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
once xbox leaves the console space i expect sony games day and date pc
Lol not gonna happen. Helldivers will probably reinforce their vision GaaS day and date and Single Player content down the road. They still want to sell Hardware you don't strip your platform of all exclusivity and expect people to stick with you.

I keep seeing this get reiterated without sound logic behind it.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Lol not gonna happen. Helldivers will probably reinforce their vision GaaS day and date and Single Player content down the road. They still want to sell Hardware you don't strip your platform of all exclusivity and expect people to stick with you.

I keep seeing this get reiterated without sound logic behind it.
it's way too early to say that

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023
Normally I would say that a game that's getting some good buzz would peak on Sunday of its release.
But looking at how US centric this game's peak is and the fact that the Superbowl is on Sunday.
I'm thinking this game will peak on Saturday.

We'll see though. I must admit, I am not familiar with the Superbowl's potential effect on Steam CCUs lol.

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters
26 Nov 2023

Yup. It’s not a sink or swim situation. Given the numbers so far I have to assume the money made from unit sales alone puts the studio in a pretty good spot. If they can find
Even a mid size community that sticks with it afterwards, it’ll be a massive success. I actually do wonder if this will embolden Sony to set the price point at $40 for their GaaS games. It feels like it mitigates the risk somewhat

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
Yup. It’s not a sink or swim situation. Given the numbers so far I have to assume the money made from unit sales alone puts the studio in a pretty good spot. If they can find
Even a mid size community that sticks with it afterwards, it’ll be a massive success. I actually do wonder if this will embolden Sony to set the price point at $40 for their GaaS games. It feels like it mitigates the risk somewhat

I think they will charge. Certainly with Concord and Marathon.

Provided they keep the MTX in the game at a minimum, most gamers won’t have any issue paying it.

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
It's just kinda how Steam works imo. Players see the player count going up and start looking into it and it snowballs from there. This is part of why I love Steam. It's not just a platform for games but its a community.

It's the ideal place for a GAAS to go viral. Sony needs to study how the store promotes games to others so it blows up in a community.

Reactions: Kokoloko

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
should jump to 200k tomorrow

I would think maybe this is a bit outrageous but the way it’s holding 75k + at 6:30 ET is impressive.

Indicators are there showing international appeal. Even more impressive. Could pop lunchtime ET or when west coast is on around 9pmET.

Halo pvp launch was f2p. Helldivers is $40. This has already made more money than Halo.

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
It's just kinda how Steam works imo. Players see the player count going up and start looking into it and it snowballs from there. This is part of why I love Steam. It's not just a platform for games but its a community.
I said it in another thread, Sony need to make these ccu numbers public, it can help drive hype.

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
What has also really helped is seeing so many big twitch streamers play it for hours.