Helldivers 2 passed Destiny 2 all time CCU count. Top Seller all around on Steam |UP|Beats Dragon’s Dogma 2 to Reclaim #1 spot on Steam.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
8fd41w.jpg

Reactions: Systemshock2023

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
I updated the OP adding the CCU all time peak and Steam user reviews scores of Halo, Gears, Destiny 2 and many top coop-ish shooters to compare them with Helldivers 2.

Yup. It’s not a sink or swim situation. Given the numbers so far I have to assume the money made from unit sales alone puts the studio in a pretty good spot. If they can find
Even a mid size community that sticks with it afterwards, it’ll be a massive success. I actually do wonder if this will embolden Sony to set the price point at $40 for their GaaS games. It feels like it mitigates the risk somewhat
I'd bet Concord, Marathon and Fairgame$ will be full priced games because they may have a more high end AAA everything and their creators have a way bigger cache and fanbase even if Firewalk and Haven are new studios.

Helldivers comes from a not very well known studio who made good niche but well reviewed AA coop games.

Concord and Marathon are the new IP from the guys who made Halo and Destiny(broke the best selling new IP ever record).

Fairgaame$ is the new IP from some of the top guys who made Assassin's Creed (broke the best selling new IP ever record), Watchdogs (broke the best selling new IP ever record) or many other top AAA titles like Rainbow Six Siege.

Last edited:
  • brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
I updated the OP adding the CCU all time peak and Steam user reviews scores of Halo, Gears, Destiny 2 and many top coop-ish shooters to compare them with Helldivers 2.

I'd bet Concord, Marathon and Fairgame$ will be full priced games because they may have a more high end AAA everything and their creators have a way bigger cache and fanbase even if Firewalk and Haven are new studios.

Helldivers comes from a not very well known studio who made good niche but well reviewed AA coop games.

Concord and Marathon are the new IP from the guys who made Halo and Destiny(broke the best selling new IP ever record).

Fairgaame$ is the new IP from some of the top guys who made Assassin's Creed (broke the best selling new IP ever record), Watchdogs (broke the best selling new IP ever record) or many other top AAA titles like Rainbow Six Siege.

I’d bet on Marathon being $70. They only took Destiny “free to play” after 5 years of operations. And even that is not true considering it’s mostly a launcher and a demo while charging premium year after year for any content added to it and behind console paywalls. Or considering the years of halo dev time and networking experience etc… that’s undoubtedly behind it.

Fortnite didn’t launch f2p. It was sold as a premium priced pve game and honestly its story is kinda unique and miraculous. Pubg just went f2p. Warzone had decades of call of duty behind it and debuted their BR in a pvp only full priced cod.

Point is. It might be foolish as hell to launch as f2p. Games can evolve into a different service model during their life but they need most of the work done before that. In other words — gamers still pay and we should tbh.

Helldivers could go f2p. But they kinda need to make money first and build enough of a game around it to sustain such while growing player pools and potential consumers.

• brain

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
Sure. When you break at least 2 million insales on games that sold 10 million on PS.

You keep repearing the same fanboy bullshit but we have actual data that shows you don't buy PS games but yet demand them. Why do that to yourself? You're completely making a fool of yourself and for what reason?

Jesus, every word out od your mouth is sucking off Gabe.

You actually took the time to make that meme...

Vertigo

26 Jun 2022
How could you forget Outriders?! /s
Warframe is another one.
Remnant II as well.
All three of them being TPS games with the possibly to play with other players.

I’ve seen the argument made that Outriders or Remnant 2 wouldn’t be live service but that’s kinda bs to me and mostly a semantics issue. Especially considering that those 2 in particular have the most in common with Destiny than most other games minus PvP.

I would definitely include them however. All online multiplayer games are fair game.

Remnant 2 did well for instance. They could easily debut an expansion next year and follow that with a full blown live service model considering success. Or they might just work on a sequel. Considering Embracer has their teeth in em’. … sigh… maybe not

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023
I’ve seen the argument made that Outriders or Remnant 2 wouldn’t be live service but that’s kinda bs to me and mostly a semantics issue. Especially considering that those 2 in particular have the most in common with Destiny than most other games minus PvP.

The games don't have to be a 1 for 1 in comparison.

I would definitely include them however. All online multiplayer games are fair game.
Remnant 2 did well for instance. They could easily debut an expansion next year and follow that with a full blown live service model considering success. Or they might just work on a sequel. Considering Embracer has their teeth in em’. … sigh… maybe not

From Wikipedia:
The game's first downloadable content (DLC) pack, titled The Awakened King, was released on November 14, 2023. Two more DLC packs are set to be released in 2024. All three packs are included in the game's Ultimate Edition.

Embracer is cash strapped at this moment, they would love to have more revenue made now instead of later.
This is why they're cancelling projects that are only going to come out in some years like Deus Ex.

Vertigo

26 Jun 2022
DLC isn’t necessarily what I mean by expansion. DLC can do a lot for games and I’m not trying to dispute that. But a full blown expansion is essentially an in-game sequel.

There is no one model tho.

And let’s look at suicide squad again for a second…. Terrible numbers. Everything pointing to major flop. There’s no way they’re making money and they’re gonna try to ape a more ancient destiny model (which bungie is once again moving away from) that requires huge amounts of money to sustain on-going narrative content. Suicide Squad won’t even make it to service.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
How could you forget Outriders?! /s
Warframe is another one.
Remnant II as well.
All three of them being TPS games with the possibly to play with other players.
I'm not an expert in the genre. But thanks for sharing, I'll include there in the OP too. Feel free to share more important titles I may have forgotten.
Edit: added them to the OP

Last edited:

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023
DLC isn’t necessarily what I mean by expansion. DLC can do a lot for games and I’m not trying to dispute that. But a full blown expansion is essentially an in-game sequel.

There is no one model tho.

The Awakened King is a story DLC though.
I don't think a bigger expansions is the right fit for Remnant, people don't care TOO much about the story/lore, they want new gameplay. So having more constant (6-8~) hours new Story DLC with new classes/bosses like the last DLC is probably the superior option, especially for the relatively small team at Gunfire (82 Employees as of 2021).

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
Sure. When you break at least 2 million insales on games that sold 10 million on PS.

You keep repearing the same fanboy bullshit but we have actual data that shows you don't buy PS games but yet demand them. Why do that to yourself? You're completely making a fool of yourself and for what reason?

Jesus, every word out od your mouth is sucking off Gabe.

You actually took the time to make that meme...
I'm a bigger fan of Pierre-Loup Griffais who developed Proton and a lot of other Deck/SteamOS technologies.

As for your other thing
Screenshot-20240210-121518.png

Vertigo

26 Jun 2022
The Awakened King is a story DLC though.
I don't think a bigger expansions is the right fit for Remnant, people don't care TOO much about the story/lore, they want new gameplay. So having more constant (6-8~) hours new Story DLC with new classes/bosses like the last DLC is probably the superior option, especially for the relatively small team at Gunfire (82 Employees as of 2021).

I agree with what you say for sure. Especially considering team size. That’s if they do more tho. This is their launch plan tho. We know about those correct and even could pre-order since launch? I just bought standard so I don’t remember (will come back to the game shortly I adore it).

We can confidently say we’ll see this plan rollout. And if makes them a good amount of money they could still move forward with more remnant 2. So while it wasn’t labeled as gaas … it kinda is/could be.

Should def be in the discussion that’s for sure.

PS - I also think Monster Hunter World is fair game also tbh (and to some extent gran blue - also PlayStatio exclusive). For sure online games still poppin off and new names still making splashes.

I’m curious to see if the coin-up action like design of Helldivers works in the pve world. I think it’s very different and if it holds players interests 3 months from now etc… or breaks 100k consistently for a few weeks. That’s mega huge.

Foamstars and console data tho… we’re gonna have to wait for circana engagement and sales charts. PSN os and app top 10 in region somewhat informative as well.

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

30 Dec 2023
It's the ideal place for a GAAS to go viral. Sony needs to study how the store promotes games to others so it blows up in a community.

It’s community driven, it’s not as simple as that. Steam forums, Reddit, discord, everything feeds into Steam. It also feeds into PlayStation, but not Steam forums.

It’s probably why Sony is still trying to figure out how they bring their store to PC, because it’s not just about a place where games are sold. It’s why MS has no hope with their Xbox store and it relies completely on gamepass as the differentiator.

• brain

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Once m$ leaves the console market, i expect xbots won't make such stupid comments day and date on X or forums..

One can just dream, no?
They'll continue doing them during a few years. When Sega left consoles their fanboys kept trolling during a few years until they transitioned into Nintendo fanboys.

Reactions: PS_ROCKS