Helldivers 2 passed Destiny 2 all time CCU count. Top Seller all around on Steam |UP|Beats Dragon’s Dogma 2 to Reclaim #1 spot on Steam.

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Some "PlayStation" fanboys gotta make up their own mind, are they fans of PlayStation hardware, and what that represents (or used to) or Sony corporation fans. Do they support day and date policies or do they not....... bending into a pretzel changes nothing.
The majority of people against PC ports are talking about single player that sell like shit. There's no contradiction here 🤷‍♂️

This is their first big GAAS game and we already knew it was Day 1 on PC. The market for GAAS is huge on PC. We all know that.

• haha
Reactions: Infinity

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
Is he factually incorrect or are you upset he brought it up in the first place? Is there anything wrong with a narrative that portends that Helldivers II may be more successful in a platform and ecosystem not named PlayStation? All of the sudden it was fine to hype the game based on Steam charts but not when reality hits....

I think Infinity's and FlaccidSnake's saber rattling is of most use in this case, and perfectly justified. In their trolling, they bring a healthy dose of reality.

Some "PlayStation" fanboys gotta make up their own mind, are they fans of PlayStation hardware, and what that represents (or used to) or Sony corporation fans. Do they support day and date policies or do they not....... bending into a pretzel by creating caveats all over the place to support or be in line with status quo changes nothing.

Funny how the xbot slur is thrown around when PlayStation fanboys are behaving exactly as Xbox fanboys did when MS decided to go day and date, starting with GaaS.....with PS fans teasing Xbox fanboys in the same manner. What goes around, comes around.
The CEO said it's 50:50... Yes that person is factually incorrect and there no problem if the game is more successful on PC it's still more money funneled into Sony's pockets. But also it's also relatively early to be declaring it's more successful on whichever platform as PlayStation sales tend to not be as front loaded as PC for these type of games.

Let's wait at least a week to see where it settles for both. Right now the game is over performing on both.

Infinity

Veteran
18 Nov 2023
I knew you xbot was going to come out of hiding to push your PC narrative. The installbase on Steam is 3x bigger and in some countries there's no PS5 at all so it's even more impressive it's 50/50 (as confirmed by the CEO).

The numbers don't work. They said they will fix it.
Get ready to see more day and date once Xbox is gone. Sony is likeing PC more and more

D

Deleted member 223

The CEO said it's 50:50... Yes that person is factually incorrect and there no problem if the game is more successful on PC it's still more money funneled into Sony's pockets. But also it's also relatively early to be declaring it's more successful on whichever platform as PlayStation sales tend to not be as front loaded as PC for these type of games.

Let's wait at least a week to see where it settles for both. Right now the game is over performing on both.
The point is not whether it's more successful on PC or PlayStation by a meaningless margin or by a significant margin. Btw there is no such thing as 50/50 - more like rounded - "factually speaking" - lacking specificity for effect.

The point is the triggered responses. What that commentary tapped into - the inherent tribalism and contradictions it brings. Denial of that is not in the realm of reality no matter how creative someone becomes at typing responses.

"Optics" management is a fools errand.

Last edited by a moderator:

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
The point is not whether it's more successful on PC or PlayStation by a meaningless margin or by a significant margin. Btw there is no such thing as 50/50 - more like rounded - "factually speaking" - lacking specificity for effect.

The point is the triggered responses. What that commentary tapped into - the inherent tribalism and contradictions it brings. Denial of that is not in the realm of reality no matter how creative someone becomes at typing responses.

"Optics" management is a fools errand.
The CEO said 50:50 and that's the fact we have for now. Whatever word dribble you type up is irrelevant until we have hard figures

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
Nice. 50:50 PS5 : PC. GAAS makes sense as a dual release, until steam has been weakened beyond recognition and their userbase siphoned away. Xbox never made sense to release on.

D

Deleted member 223

The CEO said 50:50 and that's the fact we have for now. Whatever word dribble you type up is irrelevant until we have hard figures
I think everything said on this matter is irrelevant to the real undercurrent of discussion. Folks just want to deny it, while engaging it at the same time and saying everything is fine. I don't play that game, hence in a way, your response to me is irrelevant. You should know better, considering our brief chat on DM's.

Btw you think 50:50 is a fact. I definitely do not.

Are we talking exactly 100k/100k or 89100/90000 or 80150/90365. The only fact is the CEO withholding specific numbers and rounding. He has the numbers, in specificity, down to the last integer, with timestamps - he could have released them. Of course optics management is the reason to withhold hard data - last thing he needs is a PC/PlayStation fanboy war overshadowing the talk of his game on twitter, with Xbox fanboys throwing wood to the fire. At the same time, he also understands the consumer curiosity in numbers that signal success.....and he's using numbers to boost and promote his game. It's an astute and cheap way to market.... of having the cake and eating it too - as he should.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
I think everything said on this matter is irrelevant to the real undercurrent of discussion.

Btw do you think 50:50 is a fact? Cause I definitely do not.

Are we talking exactly 100k/100k or 90k/90k. Or is the CEO withholding the exact numbers, and rounding? He has the numbers, in specificity, down to the last integer. Of course optics management is the reason to withhold hard data - last thing he needs is a PC/PlayStation console war overshadowing the talk about game on twitter. At the same time, he also understands consumer curiosity of using numbers to boost and promote his game. It's an astute way of having the cake and eating it too - as he should.
I actually think it's possible they don't have exact numbers for either platform. We don't know how granular the updates are.

thicc_girls_are_teh_best

Veteran
Icon Extra
24 Jun 2022
TBF, while thinking the Steam CCU for the game might be higher than on the PS5, ultimately I am happy the game is doing very well in general.

That said, you do have to consider the following..

1: There are 130+ million Steam users, vs. ~ 53-54 million PS5 owners. That it's ~ 50:50 between both platforms (or only slightly higher for Steam) shows there's a much stronger attach rate on PlayStation​
2: Most of the game's sales and growth has been through WOM, and the very transparent providence of Steam player metrics alongside the relative openness of PC as a platform, have given that platform the edge in driving a lot of that growth.​

If there are any immediate lessons for SIE to take from here, it's to:

1: Make online game metrics (CCU, total player counts, peak hours for play, etc.) much more transparent for PlayStation owners, and​
2: Make PlayStation consoles more desirable for dual gaming & streaming setups​

Meanwhile the PS5 Pro can help with things like framerate boosts, or maybe Sony could make a monitor with some type of processing that handles frame generation from a signal input. Shooters like Helldivers 2 benefit a lot from high framerates and that's something which attracts streamers and competitive players to platforms like PC.

All of this ties in with the increasingly reality that, for Sony, while growth on PC is nice, ultimately without a storefront/launcher of their own, PC IS a competitive platform to PlayStation, and they should start looking at what aspects of it can be pillaged and improved upon for inclusion in the PlayStation console platform.

And I know what @KnittedKnight is saying and, yes, I am one of the ones who's said that Day 1 GaaS is "fine". But in hindsight, it wouldn't hurt for SIE to implement some of the improvements on the PlayStation side suggested above, that way it's harder for people to simply pick PC over PlayStation even if the Day 1 choice for GaaS is available to both. Additionally, I still would say only some GaaS need to be Day 1; others should prioritize console.

Or, if not, then Sony need to provide free perks and benefits to people buying the game on the console; I don't doubt free online is yet another reason Helldivers 2 is doing so well on PC, potentially even more than on PlayStation consoles itself.

D

Deleted member 223

I actually think it's possible they don't have exact numbers for either platform. We don't know how granular the updates are.
A possibility and thus assuming that were the case then the 50/50 comment being an educated take which makes it hard for it be a true statistical fact. Better to settle for "practical"... as the caveat. And so you either take it or you don't - whichever being perfectly fine. Not that it matters.

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
TBF, while thinking the Steam CCU for the game might be higher than on the PS5, ultimately I am happy the game is doing very well in general.

1: There are 130+ million Steam users, vs. ~ 53-54 million PS5 owners. That it's ~ 50:50 between both platforms (or only slightly higher for Steam) shows there's a much stronger attach rate on PlayStation​
2: Most of the game's sales and growth has been through WOM, and the very transparent providence of Steam player metrics alongside the relative openness of PC as a platform, have given that platform the edge in driving a lot of that growth.​

1: Make online game metrics (CCU, total player counts, peak hours for play, etc.) much more transparent for PlayStation owners, and​

Meanwhile the PS5 Pro can help with things like framerate boosts, or maybe Sony could make a monitor with some type of processing that handles frame generation from a signal input. Shooters like Helldivers 2 benefit a lot from high framerates and that's something which attracts streamers and competitive players to platforms like PC.

All of this ties in with the increasingly reality that, for Sony, while growth on PC is nice, ultimately without a storefront/launcher of their own, PC IS a competitive platform to PlayStation, and they should start looking at what aspects of it can be pillaged and improved upon for inclusion in the PlayStation console platform.

And I know what @KnittedKnight is saying and, yes, I am one of the ones who's said that Day 1 GaaS is "fine". But in hindsight, it wouldn't hurt for SIE to implement some of the improvements on the PlayStation side suggested above, that way it's harder for people to simply pick PC over PlayStation even if the Day 1 choice for GaaS is available to both. Additionally, I still would say only some GaaS need to be Day 1; others should prioritize console.

Or, if not, then Sony need to provide free perks and benefits to people buying the game on the console; I don't doubt free online is yet another reason Helldivers 2 is doing so well on PC, potentially even more than on PlayStation consoles itself.
Good ideas here. Keep evolving the community features and engagement to drive more players to PS5

Reactions: Umar and Kokoloko
D

Deleted member 223

You've been taking notes. Good.

We won't ever reconcile the other stance. It's a fundamental disagreement on platform competition and what drives hardware, much less the motive for formulating such opinions and/or amending them. That is fine but that's where the fault lines lie.

There is no real immediacy for Sony to do "anything" (from their leadership pov) - are they even aware of PC's evolving strengths? Their decisions do not lend much credence that they do or that they care enough to even see the threats as it's. It's like the market has been evolving but there are two separate understandings of what that evolution is and what it looks like and will look like. Definitely not MS vision so what does that say about "MS lite"? Not to mention the awkward, to say the least, triangulated position it places PlayStation hardware long term vis a vis other potential home consoles (the shock potential to a house of cards - the one you don't "see" coming that upsets the apple cart). The problem of course is that when immediacy becomes expedient, as a response to a core threat, it's usually too late (proactive vs. reactive leadership). Since CEO's are rotating chairs....there is an unhealthy tolerance for risk (you can always pass the buck).

Cancer is always a good euphemism - the stages and process. The process is well underway - the question is whether the patient will be saved imo. "Seers".... although some would opine Xbox's trajectory is all you ever need to see when lacking "faith" or better phrased, conviction in rational thought - "same rules need no apply". It's not a unique cancer. I do say to others to fret not - just look at how long cancer patient "Xbox hardware" has been alive since the "public" cancer diagnosis ( and there is a difference between a public diagnosis and stage 0 period - different timetables). Since public diagnosis this patient has chugged along for a decade + although late stage radiation therapy is hard to watch. Relatively speaking the stronger/healthier the patient the greater the chance for a better quality of life, longer lifespan and chances for miracle reversals. If anything what we disagree on is treatment options as opposed to the diagnosis.... for there is no treatment without a disease.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Engagement charts would make every single player release look bad as most will interpret incorrectly. An 8 hour campaign will have notable engagement numbers for like a day or weekend only for instance.

I would love to see real time console numbers but Baldur’s Gate and bloated single player open world games would be the ones that chart.

So kinda get why maybe they wouldn’t want it public… but they kinda got that going on with the top 10 in your country chart etc

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Also want to add… 4:30am et right now (I wake up early) and it’s just under 100k.

We’re looking at an audience that might even be stronger in Asian and international markets outside the western hemisphere.

200k is within reach today for sure.

Evilms

Graph Master
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
lol.png

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023
Engagement charts would make every single player release look bad as most will interpret incorrectly. An 8 hour campaign will have notable engagement numbers for like a day or weekend only for instance.

I actually witnessed that the month Baldur's Gate PS5 released. Matt from Circana decided to talk a bit more about engagement due to the popularity of the title and his first tweet was to say something along the line of "Baldur's Gate 3 is #(I don't recall exactly but in the 20s) and people were quick to say "I guess console players wouldn't like this type of game"

He had to do a subsequent tweet because he realized people didn't understand just how dominant in terms of hours played all the GaaS games are. In a month without a big tentpole, it's all GaaS games in the top 20 and maybe even top 25 or 30.

Console players love F2P GaaS. Which makes sense, console is the cheapest way to enter the premium video game market.

Also want to add… 4:30am et right now (I wake up early) and it’s just under 100k.
We’re looking at an audience that might even be stronger in Asian and international markets outside the western hemisphere.
200k is within reach today for sure.

The game is strongest in NA by quite a substantial margin. Game peaks at that time and in theUS console to PC ratio I would wager is significantly higher than EU and especially Asia. So that gap between US/NA vs RotW is even larger if you take into account the PS5 numbers.

As for peak CCU today. That's a very big increase, and it's the Superbowl, I don't think it's reaching that.
I think the game could've hit much higher without launch issues because 10-11 EST is 11 AM/Noon China time.
Had the game not received a 28%~ Steam rating on launch day(it's now at 35%) this game would've sold a lot more in China which would've help the NA peak number go even higher.

But honestly, I don't think anyone doing estimations at SIE/Arrowhead Studios had this success even as part of the most optimistic forecast.

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters