Helldivers 2 passed Destiny 2 all time CCU count. Top Seller all around on Steam |UP|Beats Dragon’s Dogma 2 to Reclaim #1 spot on Steam.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
I don’t think they have fully rolled out whatever infrastructure needed across studios for support … probably a work in progress. There’s some indication it exists tho….

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
I don’t think they have fully rolled out whatever infrastructure needed across studios for support … probably a work in progress. There’s some indication it exists tho….
Maybe they're using PS5s as servers like Warhawk

997953788_01bf388d5c_o.jpg

AllBizness

Veteran
22 Jul 2023
I have/had high expectations for Helldivers 2, Concord and of course expect Marathon to be yet another industry changing game from Bungie.

However, zero faith in that fair games heist game. Prediction is it’s garbage.
Mark Cerny was so impressed with Fairgame$ he ended up working on the project. I'm keeping a close eye on that one.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Something tells me that the way they coded their databases simply isn't scaling well past, say, ~500k players. Otherwise I don't understand why they wouldn't buy more server cap when they knew they were headed into a hot weekend and all the player metrics had been rising throughout the week. If it really is a lack of scaling up then that's a big time failure.

Reactions: Gamernyc78
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Something tells me that the way they coded their databases simply isn't scaling well past, say, ~500k players. Otherwise I don't understand why they wouldn't buy more server cap when they knew they were headed into a hot weekend and all the player metrics had been rising throughout the week. If it really is a lack of scaling up then that's a big time failure.
Yeah but Thyll fix it.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
If I'm not mistaken. Arrowhead are nordic.Not to far from Finland where house marque are based. Shu made a numbers of visits that Part of the world. Shu the man.

The fact the numbers are above Halo are good. Gears must have trash numbers. Since its not brought up. This is competition.

We went from resistance, killzone, socom, star/warkhawk.To no shooters from PS for like 10+ years. Now we got one. I hope Concord and Fair games are quality as well. The FPS view might fail them though.

PS just need to target 5-10% of shooter/gaas market. And the are cool. Stop relying on COD.

This why you compete. Someone will deliver quality right when theres a gap. Arrowhead took their gap.And If the other 2 shooters hit. Xbox shooters will flop hard. As now there's new standard in town.
He's my fav exec period. He's a real gamer.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
If I'm not mistaken. Arrowhead are nordic.Not to far from Finland where house marque are based. Shu made a numbers of visits that Part of the world. Shu the man.
Yes, Arrowhead are from Stockholm, Sweden. Next to Finland, where there's peole like Housemarque, Remedy, Supercell or Rovio. Not a very populated area but they have many talented gamedevs there in the North of Europe. There's a lot of talent in Sweden too.

The fact the numbers are above Halo are good. Gears must have trash numbers. Since its not brought up. This is competition.

We went from resistance, killzone, socom, star/warkhawk.To no shooters from PS for like 10+ years. Now we got one. I hope Concord and Fair games are quality as well. The FPS view might fail them though
PS just need to target 5-10% of shooter/gaas market. And the are cool. Stop relying on COD.

This why you compete. Someone will deliver quality right when theres a gap. Arrowhead took their gap.And If the other 2 shooters hit. Xbox shooters will flop hard. As now there's new standard in town.

Remember there were also games like MAG and that in the PS3 era Sony also paid the exclusive of the Ubisoft 'Halo killer' Haze. Killzone were the only ones who did a great job in sales and reviews, but far from the top shooters from them.

Nowadays Sony has Destiny 2 and Helldivers 2 with top numbers. Looking at the pedigree of their devs, Concord, Marathon, Fairgame$ and the Deviation game have potential to be the next Halo/Destiny/CoD/Rainbow Six Siege/Payday and outperform all of them.

We also have to remember Haven people comes from having broken best/fastest selling new IP ever in gaming history with AC, Watchdogs and The Division, and same goes with Bungie and Firewalk with Destiny. Plus many Firewalk and Deviation devs come from CoD and many Firewalk and Bungie devs also made the first Halo games.

In the next years Sony should become the top 1 publisher for shooters in revenue, MAU and reviews. They may not get a higher all time CCU peak or peak revenue that Fortnite or PUBG had in the past, but will have bigger daily / monthly / yearly numbers now at least combining the different ones from the publisher.

There are things that get broken or saturated when reaching certain level, something they can't know or see until it happens, and things need time to be addressed and fixed. On top of that, they are overperforming way above what they thought were going to achieve.

They achieved a 276,364 peak on Steam and on PS seems it's slightly higher. So yesterday their server capacitty was at maybe 600K CCU. Pretty likely they increased it for today until 700K CCU or maybe even 800K.

They did, because if not the servers would have enterely collapsed and been down. The game is experiencing some issues, but the game has been up since launch and you can play. They are going a good job, and the login, matchmaking and rewards should be completely fixed in a few days.

First because of fixes and optimizations and second because at some point the userbase will go down so the servers will experience less issues.

Last edited:

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
I wonder if this being a surprise hit could help with what Sonys ceo said about increasing profitability to help with a price cut? For example what if this being an unexpected hit allows Sony to do an earlier than planned 50 dollar price cut or something? Or run a really good promotion?

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
I wonder if this being a surprise hit could help with what Sonys ceo said about increasing profitability to help with a price cut? For example what if this being an unexpected hit allows Sony to do an earlier than planned 50 dollar price cut or something? Or run a really good promotion?
Again this also lends itself to my thread $70 versus $40 with an I bloated budget and performing.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
They are using Microsoft Playfab (Azure)
If it's true, there's really no limits on server availability. When you've already sold as much as Helldivers, you've got the money to scale up compute instances with a small terraform adjustment. Possibly they've architected the server software in a way that leaves single points of failure in place. Maybe their database sucks for example.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Entropi

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
Maybe they're using PS5s as servers like Warhawk

997953788_01bf388d5c_o.jpg
That reminds me, are they still using PS3 servers for cloud PS3 games? That to me is completely absurd, hardware from 2006. All that just so they don't have to work on a emulated solution.

Maybe the intern that figured out how to implement name moved on and they don't have an expert on these things there anymore.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
That reminds me, are they still using PS3 servers for cloud PS3 games? That to me is completely absurd, hardware from 2006. All that just so they don't have to work on a emulated solution.

Maybe the intern that figured out how to implement name moved on and they don't have an expert on these things there anymore.
It was always an insane thing, and if there weren't so many pics I'd think it was a joke. Just because the game runs on Cell doesn't mean the server has to. For cloud streaming, I think there was a PS3/cell blade developed at some point. Still always going to be a bad laggy streaming experience unfortunately. We saw we Stadia that high frame rate is critical to decent cloud gaming.

• brain
Reactions: Nhomnhom

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
Just bought it. Couldn't find PS5 disc version anywhere here where they would deliver it to me in a timely manner and ended up buying digital (digital on Steam of course, no PS+).

Last edited:

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Wtf, we're many hours away from the peak hours and already is at 273,114. I thought it was going to peak in around 300K today, but it makes me think it's going to also pass Destiny 2 and maybe Monster Hunter World too today.

If it's true, there's really no limits on server availability. When you've already sold as much as Helldivers, you've got the money to scale up compute instances with a small terraform adjustment. Possibly they've architected the server software in a way that leaves single points of failure in place. Maybe their database sucks for example.
It's true. Like in any other server cloud like AWS, Google Cloud etc. the limit of servers is the one you pay for.

But to scale doesn't only mean to simply pay for more servers: as happens in any server cloud and with any game, as you scale up there are new things that get saturated and broken, and need to be fixed, optimized and tested. Every step you move up there are new issues that appear, things that couldn't have been predicted or tested.

Even less when it was engineered for a lower userbase, case where the code is very different than in the case of a game ready for a way bigger userbase. There are solutions that are better for smaller games and other ones for bigger cases. There's a ton of work involved to prepare it for a way bigger userbase, and it's a very complex one.

We have to consider Helldivers 1 had a Steam peak of 6,744 CCU, they knew the sequel was going to be more popular but not over 40x times more popular. Nobody expected that this game was going to beat the CCU of Halo, Destiny, Rainbow Six, Team Fortress, Battlefield, etc. in Steam.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: flaccidsnake
D

Deleted member 223

Just bought it. Couldn't find PS5 disc version anywhere here where they would deliver it to me in a timely manner and ended up buying digital (digital on Steam of course, no PS+).
Box art is nice.

Entropi

Veteran
Icon Extra
22 Jan 2023

I can’t understand why servers are still an issue right now.

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
They already passed the peak from yesterday and it's extremely early in the day 😳

My god please send the Goddess of Servers to Arrowhead 🙏

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
I can’t understand why servers are still an issue right now.
If they could fix it by throwing more cpus at the problem, it would be fixed. There's bugs in the game. There's bugs in the matchmaking. Probably their devops is also not world class. They'll get everything fixed up eventually but it will take actual engineering, not quick patches.