Helldivers 2 passed Destiny 2 all time CCU count. Top Seller all around on Steam |UP|Beats Dragon’s Dogma 2 to Reclaim #1 spot on Steam.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Wow. Talk about malpractice, although the word that applies is in incompetence.
I don't know what they were thinking but definitely should have been prepared for the best case scenario with the servers. I know thy didn't expect as much but you have to be prepared for that.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Know they didnt expect this many people. Seems only Shuhei knew.The game would do well. This is a game he green lit since it started production 8 years ago. Shuhei talent & game ID different level man. He dont miss. What did he get wrong? I only think 1 (from software)

Anyway 3rd person Sony template is real deal.Add Sony production help. The game will sell.

There game saw must be up 400% this is true organic growth.
Shu and a few others lol I been preaching this would do better than most ppl think since my earlier threads. I for saw democracy prevailing 😏

@Nhomnhom i was Nostradamus again and had called it 😂😂 jking with you don't kill me 😂

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
Know they didnt expect this many people. Seems only Shuhei knew.The game would do well. This is a game he green lit since it started production 8 years ago. Shuhei talent & game ID different level man. He dont miss. What did he get wrong? I only think 1 (from software)

Anyway 3rd person Sony template is real deal.Add Sony production help. The game will sell.

There game saw must be up 400% this is true organic growth.
No one expects, like always, same bullshit, like we didn't hear that hundreds of times. We used to joke about city government: winter came suddenly in January (when winter is from December to March).

Wraith Phantom

22 Jun 2022
Shu and a few others lol I been preaching this would do better than most ppl think since my earlier threads. I for saw democracy prevailing 😏
If I'm not mistaken. Arrowhead are nordic.Not to far from Finland where house marque are based. Shu made a numbers of visits that Part of the world. Shu the man.

The fact the numbers are above Halo are good. Gears must have trash numbers. Since its not brought up. This is competition.

We went from resistance, killzone, socom, star/warkhawk.To no shooters from PS for like 10+ years. Now we got one. I hope Concord and Fair games are quality as well. The FPS view might fail them though.

PS just need to target 5-10% of shooter/gaas market. And the are cool. Stop relying on COD.

This why you compete. Someone will deliver quality right when theres a gap. Arrowhead took their gap.And If the other 2 shooters hit. Xbox shooters will flop hard. As now there's new standard in town.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gamernyc78

Wraith Phantom

22 Jun 2022
No one expects, like always, same bullshit, like we didn't hear that hundreds of times. We used to joke about city government: winter came suddenly in January (when winter is from December to March).

Bro their first game sold like 20-30K. Nothing pointed to this game selling well.From state of play, trailer numbers it was tracking low.

I'm telling you only Shuhei knew they would excel.

The CEO even said they have to change their road map which is outdated based on the games new metrics. They were'nt ready for this. Just cause you get a PS logo doesnt gurrantee success.If you have to change a whole road map and how the game was designed. Says a lot.

Last edited:

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Rocksteady focused tested Suicide Squad with maximum woke to cater to 3,000 players. They thought it would sell 10 million plus. Not even sure it sold more than 100k.

Helldivers earned all of this.

ppTCYYx.png

D

Deleted member 223

Malpractice when lawyers perfectly know that they braking laws and does it anyways.

Can't see how this applies to them.

They are just incompetent and cheap.
I was looking at malpractice more from the lens of a physician (doctor).

It's actually all the above and I'll tell you why.

Best practice: offline mode.

In Helldivers I you had offline mode so if the servers crapped out for whatever reason the customer still had access to the game and could play the product offline, single-player. Matchmaking was simply disabled in offline mode, that, and a couple other things.

In Helldivers II there is no offline mode. If you're out, you're out and the customer can't enjoy the product half way at all. They made the decision for always-online with H2 for whatever reason.

Server capacity decision making:

Going into the busy weekend, having the hottest new online game on the block Arrowhead was apparently still running with server capacity at 360k (which to get to that was a saga in itself). They should know damn well the weekend (that includes Friday past 4:00 pm EST btw) is going to see huge traffic (on top of the viral popularity fueling the game as word of mouth spreads).... Why are you still doing gradual jumps? Say if you jump to 500k for PS5, 450k for PC, and the demand Saturday at 8:00-9:00pm EST burns through that you are still not fixing the problem at all. Whatever ratios of sales/connections that they're using to estimate demand are completely and wayyyyyyy off on top of the built-in lag in decision making to scale up capacity. When your predictions fail again and again the way forward becomes self evident. It's not rocket science. "Bite the bullet" and up capacity significantly... it's not even a hard decision, more like a great investment - consumer satisfaction trumps cost - word of mouth is king, as is maximizing that brief viral window to hook customers tight.

To top it off, they're not new to this game. Helldivers I exists. This game is literally just a AAA TPS version of 1 (albeit with H2 having less content and features than mature H1). Maybe if the studio saw a lot of turnover and shakeups of key people you could say there is a "shock" factor for the "new" H2 team but I don't think that is the case.

Last edited by a moderator:

Thirty7ven

30 Dec 2023
If I'm not mistaken. Arrowhead are nordic.Not to far from Finland where house marque are based. Shu made a numbers of visits that Part of the world. Shu the man.

The fact the numbers are above Halo are good. Gears must have trash numbers. Since its not brought up. This is competition.

We went from resistance, killzone, socom, star/warkhawk.To no shooters from PS for like 10+ years. Now we got one. I hope Concord and Fair games are quality as well. The FPS view might fail them though.

PS just need to target 5-10% of shooter/gaas market. And the are cool. Stop relying on COD.

This why you compete. Someone will deliver quality right when theres a gap. Arrowhead took their gap.And If the other 2 shooters hit. Xbox shooters will flop hard. As now there's new standard in town.

Do we know which ones are fps?

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
The increased it to 360k limit that over a week ago iirc.

An entire week and they still haven't increased the capacity 🤦‍♂️

Vertigo

26 Jun 2022
I have/had high expectations for Helldivers 2, Concord and of course expect Marathon to be yet another industry changing game from Bungie.

However, zero faith in that fair games heist game. Prediction is it’s garbage.

Petekilla

Veteran
16 Jun 2023
I have/had high expectations for Helldivers 2, Concord and of course expect Marathon to be yet another industry changing game from Bungie.

However, zero faith in Amy Henning. After years of failed studios and projects I feel as if it’s actually just some grift. Fair games heist game will be trash. Prediction made.
You mean Jade Raymond. Lol Also Concord isn’t from Bungie. There are many people from Bungie at the studio though.

Reactions: Vertigo

Vertigo

26 Jun 2022
You mean Jade Raymond. Lol Also Concord isn’t from Bungie. There are many people from Bungie at the studio though.

I’m aware it’s not from Bungie. That was in reference to Marathon.

Concord is a gamble but I’m familiar with a few of the leads on it so I’m optimistic. Josh Hamrick is very talented and always appreciated whatever he had to say about what he was working on.

I hope the idea is games in drastically different gameplay types. So far that seems to be the case.

I don’t think you will see many arena shooters or even BRs come from Sony’s initiative and thankfully it seems they’re not chasing those trends. Good!

• thisistheway
Reactions: flaccidsnake

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
This is fake news
Monster Hunter World: 334,684
I double checked it now and it's true, MHW, Capcom Arcade Stadium (F2P) and Capcom Arcade Statium 2 (F2P) are above it.

Will the servers even allow it? Strong possibility that a repeat of today(which was clearly heading for a much higher number) happens tommorow and/or Sunday as well. PS5 players buying the game on the weekend and logging in simply won't allow the number to go up.
In theory like in any other big online game they'll keep increasing or decreasing the amount of servers as they need more players. The thing is that games almost always have scalability issues: there's some thing that may be saturated and break when you reach an certain amount of players, then something else breaks when reaching certain other level of players, something else breaks when reaching another... the higher you go, more things get saturated and break.

As an example, in Helldivers 2 at some point the matchmaking failed, then when increased the amount of users the rewards failed, and yesterday when they increased more their database failed. Plus when their servers are full the system stops allowing new players appearing the login issue, where the game doesn't allow you to enter until someone else disconnects.

So they have to scale their servers relatively slowly first to don't waste money hiring a ton of unused servers and second to solve issues before scaling and finding a new one. Because if they scale too fast many issues could appear, and even the whole system could collapse, something that still didn't happen.

They need to send in some Bungie / Naughty Dog / Ice team tech guys to assist because the netcode limitation will eventually hamper the true potential.
SIE has the Live Service Center of Excellence for these things, where there's Bungie, SIE Publishing and PS Studio reviewing and supporting the GaaS specific things, being one of them servers. So yes, the expert server engineers from Bungie, Firewalk (ex-Bungie, ex-CoD, ex-Apex Legends...), ND, Polyphony, Sony London etc. should be there supporting them.

Last edited: