Helldivers 2 passed Destiny 2 all time CCU count. Top Seller all around on Steam |UP|Beats Dragon’s Dogma 2 to Reclaim #1 spot on Steam.

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Helldivers 2 actually predates their latest GAAS push. the first of those games will be concord and fairgame$ in which I'm sure both wil flop for being so generic.
So now Helldivers doesn't count but you'll go back years trying to find something to pin on Jim and blame him for everything 🤣

You have no idea if the scope of Helldivers was revised mid-development. Stuff like roadmap and monetization was not decided 8 years ago.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
I am sure he means as part of GAAS push Sony has focused on frequently in the last few years. It's fair to say Helldivers is first off the block there

LBP fits but was a long time ago. GT7 would have existed whether defined as live service or not. MLB too
Helldivers 2 would have existed too because the first one sucessful. Same goes with Bungie's upcoming games, they could have been released outside Sony. And Firewalk, Haven and Deviation games without Sony would have been published by someone else.

The thing is Sony did several GaaS before the current 12 GaaS initiative, and that Helldivers is the 4th published one of the initiative (not counting the acquired Destiny 2, and the cancelled TLOU Online).

And yes, that push for GaaS didn't start now with Jim Ryan or Hermen Hulst, who got their positions in 2019. The Horizon Online director was hired to work on it in 2018, Helldivers 2 has been in development since 2016. Firewalk's game started in 2018, London Studio's game started in 2019 or maybe before and is "the game they alway wanted to make". TLOU Online existed because ND prefered to branch out the TLOU2MP mode to a standalone game instead of cancelling the MP mode or releasing it after launch. Shawn Layden said that in his times they started to work in the PC thing.

Last edited:

Nimrota

Veteran
11 Jul 2023
Shills are so salty this year

If I'm taking him in good faith (even though it's impossible he's legitimate here) I would imagine he's only played easier difficulties. The harder one are crazy, how anyone can say it's boring when you're constantly under seige I don't know.

20 Jun 2022
Salalah, Oman
image.png

Stick Around Bob Ross GIF by Originals

thicc_girls_are_teh_best

Veteran
Icon Extra
24 Jun 2022
Helldivers 2 actually predates their latest GAAS push. the first of those games will be concord and fairgame$ in which I'm sure both wil flop for being so generic.

Look, genuine question: is there a reason you're so needlessly negative about EVERYTHING PlayStation-related these days? I get being critical; hell, I'm critical of a lot of things PS-related including the PC multiplatform strategy.

But all I've seen you do for the past two months or so is just complain about every single thing PlayStation's doing, dunno why. Fairgame$ and Concord have yet to prove themselves but at least give them the chance to? Helldivers 2 might predate those games dev-wise but it was also a big unknown up until it released, and it exceeded all expectations. Not much reason to be full-on dismissive of them from the jump, and I'm not even a big shooter fan.

At least give the games a chance before deciding if they're good or not, jeez.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
I’m willing to be proven wrong by the Fairgames project.

The live service review to axe and revise projects and outlook was a profound move. They are trying to avoid making a Suicide Squad. Following Hellldivers quality and appeal… well now that’s a reason to be more optimistic tbh.

Suicide Squad has surpassed Halo Infinite as biggest disappointment of the last decade and I will use its example often.