Helldivers 2 Review and |OT| "Fight for freedom, fight for Democracy"

SLB1904

Actually born in 1904!
22 Jun 2022
Actually something I thought it was a bug is the stratagem getting confused and you throw and airstrike instead of like support gun etc. One guy said it's due to the jammers around by the enemy. Not sure if true because the game doesn't explains much.
Some planets fucks it up.

Reactions: Bo_Hazem

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
I’m not going to complain about the game being something it’s not. Just starting to realize that I enjoy online games that also have an equally rewarding single player component as its multiplayer game. This is where I understand I prefer things like Destiny, Monster Hunter World or Remnant 2.

It’s fun. It’s does cool shit all day. Helldivers feels like an intense pick up and play pvp game but it’s pve. The way you drop into missions and do a thing or two is like jumping into PvP quick play. This reminds me of going to arcades and playing capcom beat em ups but way more crazy and fun.

Because it’s designed like this… gameplay bugs can also sour experience a bit. Last nights bugs were out of hand post patch and it was honestly frustrating.

Exoprimal probably wanted these kind of results … heh

PvP could be added and I’d welcome it in this setting and gameplay. A variation of division’s dark zone for instance etc… but I think it’s safe to say that arrowhead will be focused on the pve game and player needs for it before considering branching out.

This is why I wanted TLOU Factions 2. The TLOU2 combat and attention to detail in a PVE world plus PVP, have your own gangs. And they said it would have single player story like experience… :(

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
This is why I wanted TLOU Factions 2. The TLOU2 combat and attention to detail in a PVE world plus PVP, have your own gangs. And they said it would have single player story like experience… :(

They were right to be wary of operational costs tho. So I can’t blame them.

Suicide Squad is the new best example of how this can go horribly wrong. Anthem is a story of a dev that loses its identity trying (while being a better game than most after it that tried).

Helldivers, Marathon, perhaps even Concord… they’re not going to need all the costs related to cinematics, dialogue and story related content of the mmo-like games. There’s arguably better returns with these pick up and play arcade experiences… that is … when players are there.

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
I missed it because of 1 point score lol

pGPmzW6.png

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
They were right to be wary of operational costs tho. So I can’t blame them.

Suicide Squad is the new best example of how this can go horribly wrong. Anthem is a story of a dev that loses its identity trying (while being a better game than most after it that tried).

Helldivers, Marathon, perhaps even Concord… they’re not going to need all the costs related to cinematics, dialogue and story related content of the mmo-like games. There’s arguably better returns with these pick up and play arcade experiences… that is … when players are there.
While I agree, I think it would of been a huge success. They make better games then EA, Ubisofts attempts at the Division and Anthem etc. And with the hype of the TV series, it would of been great.
Sony should of supported them. They were planning and creating for years, they should of funded a single player game and Factions 2. There should of been a choice between one or the other

Look how much money GTA makes, a fraction would be enough for Factions lol

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
While I agree, I think it would of been a huge success. They makebetter games then EA, Ubisofts attempts at the divion and anthem etc.
Sony should of supported them. They were planning and creating for years, they should of funded a single player game and Factions 2.

Look how much money GTA makes, a fraction would be enough for Factions lol

They could’ve gotten support studios and were probably aware of the need considering Bungie leaned on two to three Activision studios for content and the pc build of d2 during that time. Destiny then required somewhere around 600-700 at Bungie to wholly operate afterwards. So you can imagine that would be average team size for a game of that scale.

I think they need support studios for all these games. But… there are signs of PlayStation studio contractors working for Bungie so there probably is something being done for some support.

Reactions: Kokoloko

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
I'm enjoying the game but this is one of the buggiest games I've played in a while. Getting stuck out of bounds loading into ships, stuck in geometry when landing hellpod, being unable to respawn despite several beacons being thrown down (and therefore not being able to extract), matchmaking still spotty. Hopefully they can fix it soon because the game is great when it's working well.

Yeah thankfully the bugs dont seem to hurt the actual mission gameplay. But this game needed a beta test. Everyone was saying it, and they were right. I figure the game was coming in super hot even in the last month, and Arrowhead didn't want reviewers to know.

Last edited:

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Destiny then required somewhere around 600-700 at Bungie to wholly operate afterwards. So you can imagine that would be average team size for a game of that scale.

Im good with that lol. Considering Insomniac has over 520 employees, I think ND being PS’s premier studio deserves that and more.

I know growth takes time and all but I think ND and Santa Monica deserve to have the biggest studios + multiple studios for multiple projects.

Especially considering PS wanted to have multiplayer games and VR games, they all need to be expanded. Sucker Punch did a great job of there multiplayer mode too for GOT even though its much smaller in scale

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
First PS5 patch released:
image.png

image.png

That would solve or highly reduce login and rewards issues. The next one I assume will be to address the matchmaking.

Im good with that lol. Considering Insomniac has over 520 employees, I think ND being PS’s premier studio deserves that and more.

I know growth takes time and all but I think ND and Santa Monica deserve to have the biggest studios + multiple studios for multiple projects.

Especially considering PS wanted to have multiplayer games and VR games, they all need to be expanded. Sucker Punch did a great job of there multiplayer mode too for GOT even though its much smaller in scale
During the Jimbo era Insomniac, ND, SSM, Guerrilla or Bungie have been highly growing and all of them are working in minimum 3 new games at the same time (not counting ports or remasters/remakes). And continue growing.

Bungie now has around 1500 employees, around 1100 half a year ago and around 900 when acquired. ND had over 400 employees half year ago.

As a reference, it takes around 100-150 people in the lead dev studio to develop a AAA game. In the case of GaaS you also need a staff for post launch features, content and fixes, which depends of the volume of post launch features, content and fixes to be included, which also will depend on the success of the game.

But if they release a huge expansion per year, as done in Destiny 2, that are almost as big as a new game, then they'll need multiple teams working on them at the same time because each one of the big expansions require more than a year to be made.

Last edited:

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Actually something I thought it was a bug is the stratagem getting confused and you throw and airstrike instead of like support gun etc. One guy said it's due to the jammers around by the enemy. Not sure if true because the game doesn't explains much.
on the robot planets they have stratagem jamming towers that can change the stratagem codes on you

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
Sony out of nowhere drops their best multiplayer game of all time. Yes, its actually that good. 20 hours played in less than a week, and im supposed to be beating Like a Dragon!