Helldivers 2 Review and |OT| "Fight for freedom, fight for Democracy"

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
I’m under the impressions servers have not been made available.

If reviews are based on a playtest invite only weekend they ain’t worth shit

Reactions: Gamernyc78

Dick Jones

Corporate Dick
Icon Extra
5 Jul 2022
I’m under the impressions servers have not been made available.

If reviews are based on a playtest invite only weekend they ain’t worth shit
That's the only fear. Apparently Redfall was miles better in the special test invite for previews.

Not saying this is in any world the same finished product as Redfall

Reactions: Bo_Hazem

Vertigo

26 Jun 2022
Thts true so once servers open well get the flood of reviews.

I’m writing off reviews for this altogether. They always get it wrong with online games so there’s that.

I don’t want to sound too much like a broken record but you don’t know until there’s actual players in the wild. Especially for this as enjoyment will come from emergent gameplay vs some one-and-done campaign like Suicide Squad.

It’ll be easy for Helldivers to be the stronger game across the two tho… against suicide squad.

Two weeks of heavy playtime should be good enough to gauge it. That is unless they have some real content slated for later in launch window

Savagefrogdemon

13 Feb 2023
Can you play this solo or is there matchmaking?

If it is anything like the first game solo will be almost impossible with how aggressive and quickly the bugs can swarm you. A team of four covering all sectors and calling in support strategems together was needed very early on in the first game.

Reactions: Gamernyc78

KnittedKnight

Gaming Sage
Icon Extra
13 Jul 2022
If it is anything like the first game solo will be almost impossible with how aggressive and quickly the bugs can swarm you. A team of four covering all sectors and calling in support strategems together was needed very early on in the first game.
Solo was fairly reliable for seasoned players up to difficulty 12.

13-15 on the other hand does require great skills, and luck. I think I personally maxed out solo at level 13.

This game will be harder just by the simple fact that in third person view, as opposed to top-down, your view of the terrain is limited.

Last edited:

Vertigo

26 Jun 2022
You can play in solo queue.

Like mentioned above… you don’t really need to care until higher world tiers. And most likely those up to that level like you will also be prepared accordingly.

Don’t be scurred. You don’t need your best buddy with you playing to enjoy. Too often is that a concern for players intimated by co-op. Do not be… most games are designed for solo players as well.

Savagefrogdemon

13 Feb 2023
Some of the heavy weapons in this game require two players to operate for example the missile launcher needs one to hold and fire and another player to reload the next rocket.

KnittedKnight

Gaming Sage
Icon Extra
13 Jul 2022
I believe that is incorrect. You can use those weapons solo. Just the reloading is going to take longer. We'll see soon enough.

In the original game, strategems like the rocket launcher and other heavy weapons had long reloading animations to avoid spamming heavy ordinance and keep the difficulty in check. So you had to pick your spots when you wanted to reload heavy's, and if you misstimed, you would get overrun in the middle of the animation and either die, or cancel the animation and flee, at which point you had to start all over again. That was good at creating tension but for noobies and casuals it was also a source of grief.

By adding the teamwork component for faster reload, not only do you incentivize teamwork, you lessen the potential grief.

Last edited:

Savagefrogdemon

13 Feb 2023
It's got tower defense objectives that require you to fend off waves of enemies coming from every direction. Not to mention terminals that need to be activated.