Hermen Hulst Master Plan

Plextorage

Banned
26 Feb 2023
Yet ND ported TLoU Part I and is workign on GaaS games. Guerrilla, London and Insomniac are also reportedly working on GaaS games.

Yes on new Factions, just like they did before on Uncharted multiplayer. I don't see a problem at all here. Do you??

Why would a game that I have zero interest in ever playing not be trash / a waste of time for me? I don't work at Sony I don't care about what is best for them.

You can't say something is trash if some genre is NOT for you. That's really dumb logic. Hey, racing games aren't my cup of tea, all racing games are trash. Worse than a trash. :/

I care about what is best for me and that is getting good games.

So, it is all about good games in the end, huh?
There are very good GAAS games too. And indie games too.

• fire
Reactions: The Icon
OP
OP
Nhomnhom

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Yes on new Factions, just like they did before on Uncharted multiplayer. I don't see a problem at all here. Do you??
Actually no, that's one of the few game I wanted to see. The only GaaS I care about (and I'll probably regret it given the nature of these modern GaaS games).

You can't say something is trash if some genre is NOT for you. That's really dumb logic. Hey, racing games aren't my cup of tea, all racing games are trash. Worse than a trash. :/
Not all GaaS games are trash but all these GaaS games revolving around microtransactions and skins are trash.

So, it is all about good games in the end, huh?
There are very good GAAS games too.
Not for me. I liked WoW ruined by being GaaS, I liked Dota ruined by skins/being GaaS, same happened with TF2, CS, Batlefield, etc. I get kids and young people getting excited about GaaS games but I'm too old for this shit and these games are way too cynical to have any artistic value in the long run.

All modern GaaS games converge into being absolute trash even if they happen to be good for a short while. They are designed around maximizing the extraction of money from addicts, that is not only sort of immoral but also results in really bad games.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
The more I think about it the more unhappy I am with this, Sony could've just bought Bungie, added their live service revenue to their balance sheet, and been happy having a diverse portfolio. But it's like they're cannibalizing their best single player content to chase the trend.

Naughty Dog- Factions
Guerilla - turning Horizon into a multiplayer gaas
Bend - open world multiplayer
Polyphony - ship sailed last gen
Sucker punch - next game is multiplayer (let's hope it's just an addon like legends was, but I doubt it)
Firesprite - multiplayer
SIE London - online game
Firewalk - gaas
Haven - gaas

So the only studios left making pure single player content are what, insomniac and santa monica? Maybe housemarque/bluepoint
That ain't enough

OP
OP
Nhomnhom

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
The more I think about it the more unhappy I am with this, Sony could've just bought Bungie, added their live service revenue to their balance sheet, and been happy having a diverse portfolio. But it's like they're cannibalizing their best single player content to chase the trend.

Naughty Dog- Factions
Guerilla - turning Horizon into a multiplayer gaas
Bend - open world multiplayer
Polyphony - ship sailed last gen
Sucker punch - next game is multiplayer (let's hope it's just an addon like legends was, but I doubt it)
Firesprite - multiplayer
SIE London - online game
Firewalk - gaas
Haven - gaas

So the only studios left making pure single player content are what, insomniac and santa monica? Maybe housemarque/bluepoint
That ain't enough
Polyphony is fine, it makes perfect sense for that type of game, even Factions make sense. Most of the others have flop written all over them and could end up ending these studios.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Polyphony is fine, it makes perfect sense for that type of game, even Factions make sense. Most of the others have flop written all over them and could end up ending these studios.
Depends on what factions ends up being. I am hyped for that game but there's a seed of doubt because of jim/hermen that shouldn't be there (and also because we barely know anything about it)

Reactions: Yobo and Nhomnhom
OP
OP
Nhomnhom

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Depends on what factions ends up being. I am hyped for that game but there's a seed of doubt because of jim/hermen that shouldn't be there (and also because we barely know anything about it)
I'll give Naughty Dog the benefit of the doubt due to their pedigree. They haven't disappointed me so far but it would be very lame if this game didn't have anything special going by the way they talk about it.

kyliethicc

Knack Ambassador
21 Jun 2022
That makes it sound like you don't know what Japan Studio was. It has multiple teams making game there and now only one is left. It might not change anything in studio list wars but it has an effect in reality and in their output of games.
yeah it means no gravity rush 3 lol doesn’t mean a studio got closed

San Diego had major layoffs too a few years back. Games like Drawn to Death and Killstrain got killed off. They focused SDS to just MLB from then on. They just didn’t change the name of the studio.

Nobody would care about what happened with Japan Studio if they hadn’t changed the name.
And thats 100% fact.

• thinking_hard
Reactions: Nhomnhom

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Games cooking per studio is in constant flux.
They fired the Ico lineage. Stop selling it as anything other than that because thats what it is. How in God's name is that "the same studio with the same team leading the same game?"

kyliethicc

Knack Ambassador
21 Jun 2022
They fired the Ico lineage. Stop selling it as anything other than that because thats what it is. How in God's name is that "the same studio with the same team leading the same game?"
yeah some people got fired

thats not a studio closure

Yobo

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2022
Let's consider this:
  • The franchise is developed by a Playstation Studio
  • Playstation gamers pay for the game
  • Xbox gamers get it with a subscription service
If you don't see the problem with the above, I have absolutely no hope for us being able to have an intelligent conversation ever. To clarify: I'm not advocating for the game to be bundled for "free" with PS Plus, but rather for it not to be added to gamepass. The optics of this are pretty when you're invested on their own platform.
Next time MLB license comes up Sony should tell MLB to get fucked

Rename the franchise to the Show and do deals with teams and players individually as EA have done with FIFA

• fire

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
yeah some people got fired

thats not a studio closure
Fool, they desolved the fucking team. That means you don't get their game anymore. The fact that some of the lower level employees got life-lines doesn't bring back whatever game Sony either cancelled or failed to green light.

Last edited:

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Next time MLB license comes up Sony should tell MLB to get fucked

Rename the franchise to the Show and do deals with teams and players individually as EA have done with FIFA
Kid, thats not how baseball works. Teams have a group contract through MLB and players have a group contract through MLBPA. Soccer is different because instead of one league organization there's 3 "top" leagues unofficially and another ten "somewhat important" ones, all of who's membership changes every single year.

• Informative
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Airbus

Veteran
30 Jun 2022
Jim Ryan and Herman are fukin clown

Too much focus on Gaas and porting games to PC

The sooner Playstation headquarters goes back to Japan the better it is for everyone

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Different strategies for different companies: "lets become an exact copy of everything Xbox did to be where they are now."
There is some truth to this. Everybody is saying the showcase was like an Xbox conference with everything on PC.

A generic box with a logo is a failed strategy. Not sure why they are following that.

• they're_right_you_know

Yobo

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2022
There is some truth to this. Everybody is saying the showcase was like an Xbox conference with everything on PC.

A generic box with a logo is a failed strategy. Not sure why they are following that.
Hermens entire existence as a game developer is owed to him starting a company to make a Halo killer on PS2

Are we that shocked he continues to want to be like Xbox? They should have put somebody in his position who gets why PS is a success. If not Shu and they wanted to pull from first party then how about Christophe Balestra or Shannon Studstill

kyliethicc

Knack Ambassador
21 Jun 2022
Hermens entire existence as a game developer is owed to him starting a company to make a Halo killer on PS2

Are we that shocked he continues to want to be like Xbox? They should have put somebody in his position who gets why PS is a success. If not Shu and they wanted to pull from first party then how about Christophe Balestra or Shannon Studstill
Balestra quit Naughty Dog almost a decade ago

kyliethicc

Knack Ambassador
21 Jun 2022
2017. Only two years before Hulst was promoted

Unless he did something terrible at Naughty Dog he would have been an interesting choice

nah none of those people should run product development. a studio head isn’t qualified

should have been Scott Rohde or Connie Booth who replaced Layden. actual experienced WWS executives

Yobo

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2022
nah none of those people should run product development. a studio head isn’t qualified

should have been Scott Rohde or Connie Booth who replaced Layden. actual experienced WWS executives
I'm fine with that