Horizon Forbidden West climbing the Steam top sellers list. |UP| Releases on Steam with lower player count than Zero: Dawn.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Usually, a ccu peak is multiplied with 4-8 to get sales numbers.

Yea I have my own methods to subscribe to but that’s usually more reliable for online games across numerous platforms. I wouldn’t subscribe to similar methods for single player games. Especially not a late release with little to no hype or marketing campaign. This is a quiet launch imo aside from forum discourse and drama.

And because it’s a quiet launch I assume most of the followers of the game page are actually informed purchases.

70k thru the weekend sounds kinda close to me at this moment. Keep in mind I’m expecting 250k for the 1-3 month launch window. If it does better than that I will be pleasantly surprised.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Yea I have my own methods to subscribe to but that’s usually more reliable for online games across numerous platforms. I wouldn’t subscribe to similar methods for single player games. Especially not a late release with little to no hype or marketing campaign. This is a quiet launch imo aside from forum discourse and drama.

And because it’s a quiet launch I assume most of the followers of the game page are actually informed purchases.

70k thru the weekend sounds kinda close to me at this moment. Keep in mind I’m expecting 250k for the 1-3 month launch window. If it does better than that I will be pleasantly surprised.
35k ccu launch weekend could be around 100k sold for a game like HFW.

• haha
Reactions: Gods&Monsters
24 Jun 2022
Yup it went up this morning. I wonder if the followers stat is relevant. 70k sold so far would track IMO.

This website has 167K, which is up about 30K from the previous data I saw yesterday. So the sales trend is on decline which in itself is probably normal for new releases, although it seems sharper in the case of this one.

Anyway, that'd be about $10 million so far in revenue...$7 million in initial profits after Valve takes their cut, then the cost of the port itself. Let's just be funny and say it's $3 million (it's probably significantly more than $3 million). That'd mean net profits so far are only ~ $4 million.

It's going to be a LONG while before this game hits 500K on Steam, which would probably be the amount of revenue generated that could've gone towards a new mid-level budgeted 1P AA game that'd probably at least sell 1 million in the span of time it'll take HFW PC to sell 500K, generating double the revenue (price the game at $39.99), and bring in a lot more net profit for SIE

And again, that 1 million is a very conservative estimate, especially if SIE picked the right IP to leverage. All before even the idea of a port to PC or elsewhere would ever even need to pop up.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
This website has 167K, which is up about 30K from the previous data I saw yesterday. So the sales trend is on decline which in itself is probably normal for new releases, although it seems sharper in the case of this one.

Anyway, that'd be about $10 million so far in revenue...$7 million in initial profits after Valve takes their cut, then the cost of the port itself. Let's just be funny and say it's $3 million (it's probably significantly more than $3 million). That'd mean net profits so far are only ~ $4 million.

It's going to be a LONG while before this game hits 500K on Steam, which would probably be the amount of revenue generated that could've gone towards a new mid-level budgeted 1P AA game that'd probably at least sell 1 million in the span of time it'll take HFW PC to sell 500K, generating double the revenue (price the game at $39.99), and bring in a lot more net profit for SIE

And again, that 1 million is a very conservative estimate, especially if SIE picked the right IP to leverage. All before even the idea of a port to PC or elsewhere would ever even need to pop up.

I was just reading the reset thread and the most recent post is an estimate breakdown of what break even point would be on full priced sales for the pc ports. That an interesting point to make.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/so...ystation-l-l-c-on-steam.830283/post-120838551

OP
OP
rinzler

rinzler

Banned
12 Mar 2024

Hezekiah

Veteran
23 Jul 2022

Didn't Sony agree some deal with Valve so that they pay less than 30%? Think it was 20-something percent.

OP
OP
rinzler

rinzler

Banned
12 Mar 2024
Imagine working 5 years on a sequel to one of the best-selling game ever and you can't even beat niche franchise like Yakuza or Persona at launch and you're almost 20k CCU below the first game 💩
Regardless it's making them millions of dollars, they couldn't care less I'm sure.

• haha
Reactions: arvfab

quest4441

Veteran
27 Feb 2024
I think more people will pick this up when the steam summer sale happens, 15-20% and the game sales should improve, but yeah this wont do the millions it does on PS

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
Which consoles did it launch on?

On the PS4/PS5. PC is a separate market.

Please explain why it selling 30 million is the reason it’s struggling to sell 100,000 on PC?

The figure is actually 32.7 million at May 2023.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Imagine working 5 years on a sequel to one of the best-selling game ever and you can't even beat niche franchise like Yakuza or Persona at launch and you're almost 20k CCU below the first game 💩
This is not the case at all, this sequel sold many millions on PS when originally released, similaar to the the previous Horizon game and way above than any Persona or Yakuza game.

The PC release is just a late full priced port, released a couple years after release once everyone interested to get it on PS already did it buying it or getting it on PS+. This PC version is only to get some extra profit and new fans, but its main job was already done in PS.

More info here.

Last edited: